Grip fustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grip fustration

Hi there, I’m new to the forum but wanted to get your thoughts on my question as it’s driving me nuts. I’ll apologise in advance for the essay :-)

I’ve been playing snooker for a few years now (max break of 50 so not prolific) however I recently had some coaching sessions to try and improve my game as I felt I was just stagnating at a certain level. The coaching sessions were great as they highlighted a few things I could improve on one of which was the grip. It’s been a few months now that I’ve kept with my new grip but in truth I’m still no better than I was before.

I think the grip accounts for the majority of my problems hence the cry for help :-).

I create a ring with my thumb and index finger and then the remaining three fingers wrap around the cue very lightly. Pressure wise I’d say the ring is about a 7 with the rest then decreasing. My thumb tends to point down to the floor and I go down in the shot with back of plan resting on the butt too.

Because I felt unsure about this grip I’ve since watched many YouTube videos to get more advice and I think I’ve confused myself on what’s right and wrong. Barry stark says to have a trigger using the third finger, Shaun Murphy says to just pick up the use and that’s your grip and others say different things. The videos from Barry stark showing how the grip hand should look in the backswing look exactly like mine (I’ve videod myself) but it’s not paying any dividens.

I know there’s no golden rule on what’s right or wrong but any help would stop me from going insane.

Thanks.

Hi.

Have a look at my videos on YouTube.

www.youtube.com/BartonSnooker
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi steve, thanks. I actually came across your videos on YouTube literally the other day and thought they were great. I think because I’ve seen and read so many opinions I’m just unsure of what I’m doing is right.

I am more consistent in my game rather than occasionally brilliant which I know is better but still don’t feel like it’s clicking.

Would you agree with trapping the cue in the third finger or simply concentrate on the fleshy bit of sling and ring formed with your first finger and thumb?

Appreciate your help. Many thanks.

Comment

Subscribe to Barton Snooker, can't recommend it enough, great channel.
        About the grip, in same shoes of yours. Changed a lot but now take the grip with my middle finger, letting my index finger curled loose so that i feel a little tension in my middle finger when i backswing and open my ringfinger and pinky but still let those keep in contact with my cue.
        Then all i do is hit with the elbow, and keep the grip as loose as i can without dropping my cue

Comment

Originally Posted by Slimjim81 View Post
          Hi steve, thanks. I actually came across your videos on YouTube literally the other day and thought they were great. I think because I’ve seen and read so many opinions I’m just unsure of what I’m doing is right.

I am more consistent in my game rather than occasionally brilliant which I know is better but still don’t feel like it’s clicking.

Would you agree with trapping the cue in the third finger or simply concentrate on the fleshy bit of sling and ring formed with your first finger and thumb?

Appreciate your help. Many thanks.
          Hi, my advice would be to do what feels best for you.

There really isn't one perfect grip. I personally grip using a bit more of my third finger as you say, nothing wrong with that.

You can also use the front of the hand and the fleshy bit, lots of players do that.

The important thing is: do what is comfortable for you, and stick with it. Practice it over and over again. And don't add extra tension to your grip hand when you complete the shot.

Comment

Originally Posted by Staezione View Post
            Subscribe to Barton Snooker, can't recommend it enough, great channel.
            Thanks you very much!

Comment

Appreciate the advice thanks. I think I’ll experiment a little and see what’s best. Have to agree that Barton snooker channel is definitely worth subscribing to. Just clear no nonsense tips and advice.

Comment

I've started to just let my hand hang off my arm if you know what I mean. Kind of imagine you have a broken hand and it's just a lump hanging off the end of your arm, any movement in the hand or fingers is the cue pushing them out of the way. I'm cueing much better like this, might work for you, might not, but it's worth a shot.

Comment

Appreciate all the comments thanks. Will keep on going and see what happens. Great game but so frustrating at times.

Again thank you to all replies.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slimjim81 View Post
                    Appreciate all the comments thanks. Will keep on going and see what happens. Great game but so frustrating at times.

Again thank you to all replies.
                    One bit of alternative advice Jim. It's fine trying this stuff in solo practice but very bad trying to take it to a game or match. Next time you play a mate or a match try to think of nothing else other than winning, when you line up each shot visualise it going in the pocket, if thoughts creep in about grip just start singing your favourite song in your head to forget it and carry on simply trying to deliver the cue smoothly.

If you think technical thoughts during a game your body will get more tense and delivering the cue smoothly will be more difficult.

The point being that your practice brain has learned something but your match brain needs to use it pretty much subconsciously without laboured thought on each shot.
                    Last edited by Cue crafty; 30 October 2018, 08:18 AM.
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                      One bit of alternative advice Jim. It's fine trying this stuff in solo practice but very bad trying to take it to a game or match. Next time you play a mate or a match try to think of nothing else other than winning, when you line up each shot visualise it going in the pocket, if thoughts creep in about grip just start singing your favourite song in your head to forget it and carry on simply trying to deliver the cue smoothly.

If you think technical thoughts during a game your body will get more tense and delivering the cue smoothly will be more difficult.

The point being that your practice brain has learned something but your match brain needs to use it pretty much subconsciously without laboured thought on each shot.
                      Excellent advice and beyond SE Essex :wink: But I cold be pedantic re Matchplay and thinking of stance, grip, feet position - basically you're fooked if it goes there - just focus on the pot......

Comment

Excellent advice and beyond SE Essex :wink: But I cold be pedantic re Matchplay and thinking of stance, grip, feet position - basically you're fooked if it goes there - just focus on the pot......
                        I know! It's rarer than normality in Royston Vasey!
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

The more natural a grip is the more consistent it will be. If you practice moving the cue forwards and backwards and concentrate on keeping it online your grip will naturally evolve. If you try and grip the cue in a certain way and it looks great but you are pulling the cue off line then it's pointless. I'd suggest cueing along the baulk line and concentrate on letting the hand do what it needs to do to keep the cue straight as that is the most important point. Hope that helps.
                          Gavin York.
                          Snooker coach based in Northampton, England.
                          Level 2 First4Sport Snooker Coach.
                          Www.snookercoaching.net

Comment

this above is super advice, thanks!
                            relaxing and let your match brain adjust to what is in your practice brain is critical. else the execution will be different from the new practice routine and grip!

Comment

This is good advice! Stop thinking too much about the technique and whether you're doing it right or wrong and do what feels comfortable. Had my best session yesterday and stopped worrying about whether my grip was right and just naturally held it relaxed without thinking...

It worked! Did the red line up and made 14/15 and then almost cleared the colours - missed the black...

I think you're spot on!
                              Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

Working...
                              X