Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cloth on cusion.

Hi.
    We, our club, are changing the cloths on our tables and cushions and a question came up (from me).

In my opinion, the naps on the top an bottom cushion should go clockwise and the 4 remaining cushions should go towards the black spot.

The discussion were if the all the cushions should go clockwise or as I said.

Please give me some facts here.

Who does what?

Thanks
    Do you know why Neil Robertson is very good at playing plants?

- `cause he is e vegetarian :biggrin-new:

Side cushions all towards black.
    H.b.142

Comment

I think all my cushions go clockwise. If it's really important to you I'll go check it.

Comment

I know our side cushions go towards the black and the baulk and black cushions go left to right as stood to brush them, so anti clock wise.
        Geoff may be able to let you know if there is a correct way they should be laid. The table fitter who did our table and has done tables for me over the last few years in a couple of clubs due to closures is a great guy with plenty of knowledge and was recommended by Geoff.

Comment

Ok then. If people do it differently, then it doesn`t affect the game to much I guess Thankyou for the answers

Comment

side rails - go baulk to black (just like when brushing/blocking/ironing the bed cloth)
            Baulk rail - right to left as standing next to it (yellow to green)
            Black rail - right to left as standing next to it (green to yellow)

anyway, that is the directions I see the tournament table fitters do
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              side rails - go baulk to black (just like when brushing/blocking/ironing the bed cloth)
              Baulk rail - right to left as standing next to it (yellow to green)
              Black rail - right to left as standing next to it (green to yellow)

anyway, that is the directions I see the tournament table fitters do
              Thankyou

Comment

I completely agree with Dean's statement about the current professional standard for installing nap on the cushions. Of course, the most important thing is that the cushion cloth is brushed in the same direction that the nap is installed or it will cause premature wear by brushing against the nap. The nap directions really have no significant effect on how the table plays in my opinion.

I can postulate a reason why there may be some disagreement on this point within your club. In my club, my installation is different in this regard because I learned the game and maintenance many, many years ago and I was taught a different method for installing the cushion cloth. The rule of thumb as I learned it many years ago was, "Brush like you break....always run away from Yellow". And what this means is that if you consider all six cushions, every single one of them is to be brushed in the direction AWAY from the Yellow spot. This is exactly the same method as stated by Dean except for one cushion, the Black cushion....I brush mine the opposite direction as the current standard because that follows my old rule of thumb of "Run away from Yellow". Notice that Dean specifically points out this cushion as "Green to Yellow" but in my club, this is done Yellow to Green.

So I am guessing that it may be that you have old timers like me in your club and maybe that is the way that the tables have always been covered in the past and they simply don't wish to change the tradition. In my club, it is strictly my decision so I cover the table by my rule and I train all the players in the club the proper way to brush. Whatever decision is made in your club will work just fine as long as all the players are aware of the situation if they are to be responsible for table maintenance as in my club. (One of the terms of membership in my club is to brush and block the table properly after every session...leave the table as you wish to find it when you come in. If people do not take care of the equipment, they will not remain a member very long.)

Comment

New cloth on cusion.

sounds abput right they started the club about 10 years ago and i think that has been done for that long thankyou and yes, the members are obligated to brush the table before ending their session

Comment

Working...
                  X