Clear All

• How is this game called?

Trying to figure this out for quite some time
    HINT: Small pockets and women in nice clothes

https://youtu.be/5V3PpDwIl8c?t=3817

Russian Billiards.

Comment

https://youtu.be/5V3PpDwIl8c?t=2839
      Last edited by Empower; 28 November 2018, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Yes, Russisn billiards, also called pyramid. Pockets are devilishly small

Comment

I've seen this a few times on Youtube, and it looks interesting. Are here (m)any tables here? Are the Rules simple?

Comment

There are three basic games. In all games you can pot both cue ball and object ball to score.

This is the key feature of russian billiards.

Potting cueball is much more satisfying to many players. And requires much more feel and perfect pace judgement, on the flipside it can forgive you slight inaccuracy.

I would say to me potting an object ball is a mechanic action, while potting a cueball is like a fine art which requires imagination to paint the arc trajectory and pace perfectly. You can try that even on snooker table (which has much bigger pockets) and it would be still not as easy as it may sound to you.

If you have some interest watch this:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZ_WEfeZ5s

This is shot compilation of one the greatest legends the game has seen.
            Last edited by Empower; 28 November 2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Empower View Post
              There are three basic games. In all games you can pot both cue ball and object ball to score.

This is the key feature of russian billiards.

Potting cueball is much more satisfying to many players. And requires much more feel and perfect pace judgement, on the flipside it can forgive you slight inaccuracy.

I would say to me potting an object ball is a mechanic action, while potting a cueball is like a fine art which requires imagination to paint the arc trajectory and pace perfectly. You can try that even on snooker table (which has much bigger pockets) and it would be still not as easy as it may sound to you.

If you have some interest watch this:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZ_WEfeZ5s

This is shot compilation of one the greatest legends the game has seen.
              He has a unique cue action, which obviously works for him.

Comment

The game requires powershots like 70% of the time due to pockets structure (and sweet 3-4 cushion positions). I think that might be the key factor in stance formation.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                  Pockets are devilishly small
                  Those are ridiculous! The second in-off she plays you can see the width of the pocket is literally 2-3 millimetres wider than the ball... if that.

billpockets.png
                  "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Yep, and sharply cut.....

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                      Yep, and sharply cut.....
                      I think snooker pockets cut like this would bring the pro's breaks down to my level - which is a high of 17... and that included a fluked black.
                      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

In addition the balls are larger and heavier than even pool balls and the cues are normally 23oz or heavier. Tried it in Latvia but it is really tough and we didn't know the rules.
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

The most popular game would be moscow pyramid, and also the hardest one.

- You use colored ball as a cueball.
                          - You need 8 pots to win a frame.
                          - You can pot both object ball and cueball.
                          - If you pot cueball your opponent takes away any ball from the table (the easiest for you to pot usually) you get a point and continue to play.
                          Than you take a cueball you just potted and play a shot from the baulk line. In this shot you cannot pot into green and yellow pocket (meaning you have to play for the pockets further away)
                          - To play a legal safety any ball have to make 2 cushions after contact (center line is the cushion as well for this matter)
                          Last edited by Empower; 29 November 2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I was watching this in Ukraine, simpler rules, that Moscow thing must take forever. the version I saw was just hit any ball on the table as a cueball if something drops you are still at the table, first to 8 points wins. I was tempted to give it a try, but I didn't want to use my snooker cue on those bowling balls they use for it.

Comment

Working...
                            X