Ranking system (in simple terms)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking system (in simple terms)

Could anyone explain, in the simplest of terms, how the current ranking system works?

I understand it is now based on earnings. In fact Dominic Dale has just explained that for every pound a player wins at a tournament, they get one ranking point; so £70,000 to the winner of the Welsh Open equate to 70,000 ranking points.

That much I get, but what I don't understand is whether these points are accumulative or whether they get reset to zero at the end of a season.

If they get reset, then surely people like Selby would not have dominated the number one slot for so long, as I find it hard to believe there haven't been other players over the last half a dozen seasons who haven't earned more money than him.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Could anyone explain, in the simplest of terms, how the current ranking system works?

I understand it is now based on earnings. In fact Dominic Dale has just explained that for every pound a player wins at a tournament, they get one ranking point; so £70,000 to the winner of the Welsh Open equate to 70,000 ranking points.

That much I get, but what I don't understand is whether these points are accumulative or whether they get reset to zero at the end of a season.

If they get reset, then surely people like Selby would not have dominated the number one slot for so long, as I find it hard to believe there haven't been other players over the last half a dozen seasons who haven't earned more money than him.
    It's a rolling 2 years points(money) so money earned in this week's Welsh open replaces money earned 2 years ago....
    H.b.142

Comment

Unfortunately it doesn't clearly show how much players' are due to lose....

Comment

on snooker.org there is a matrix of all the monies won per event for the rolling two years. does not show what has been removed as Hermut removes them as and when required.
        I think on wikipedia there is a page showing the same info but if you go back a season you should see what would be removed.
        hope this helps
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          on snooker.org there is a matrix of all the monies won per event for the rolling two years. does not show what has been removed as Hermut removes them as and when required.
          I think on wikipedia there is a page showing the same info but if you go back a season you should see what would be removed.
          hope this helps
          Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
          It's a rolling 2 years points(money) so money earned in this week's Welsh open replaces money earned 2 years ago....
          So how can Selby have dominated top slot for so long? It's not like he's making the latter rounds of every single tournament.
          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

He has 2WC's......

Comment

because the huge gap from 2nd he has with the WSC and other events he has won over the 2yr period, loads will go over the end of this season, but don't forget every one else will also lose their old monies

Comment

From http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp...42&season=2017 he may not be Number 1 after the Crucible - if I read it correctly ie ROS wins 250k more than him this season

Comment

So how can Selby have dominated top slot for so long? It's not like he's making the latter rounds of every single tournament.
                  By winning the WC you earn so much money that you´re nearly guaranteed a place inside top 16 no matter if you don´t win another match for two years. Besides Selby has won one of the high value tournaments this year and has lots of points from last season (5 tournaments won including the three best paid).

The link below gives you a good idea of how it works.

http://www.wpbsa.com/rankings/latest...onal-seedings/
                  ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                  "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm much clearer on how it works now.

Comment

To be honest, I think it is pretty daft - unless last seasons is a fraction of this eg after Final: last years Welsh pen points are halved, this one's added in full, and two years ago (halved) drop off.

Comment

He wouldn't have dominated the top spot for so long if the rankings were based solely on a one year list.

You have to wonder if the lure of ROS at a venue plays its part in maintaining a 2 year list, I wouldn't find him a lure myself and tbh I wouldn't go to a venue anyway but outside of him I can't think why promoters would be that fussed who made the venue stages of tournaments.

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
                          He wouldn't have dominated the top spot for so long if the rankings were based solely on a one year list.

You have to wonder if the lure of ROS at a venue plays its part in maintaining a 2 year list, I wouldn't find him a lure myself and tbh I wouldn't go to a venue anyway but outside of him I can't think why promoters would be that fussed who made the venue stages of tournaments.
                          Promoters want to make money, money, money and the big names (we all know who they are ) do sell tickets (not just ROS).
                          Why would you not want to go to a venue and watch any of the players?

In the early rounds I tend to shuffle around the outer tables and catch those names you tend not to see on the TV and you can see some great tussles, some great breaks, and camaraderie between all the players. Also get to see some of the new influx of referees - the Welsh Open is an event that WS "test" upcoming referees (saw two this year ).
                          Last edited by DeanH; 4 March 2018, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Promoters want to make money, money, money and the big names (we all know who they are ) do sell tickets (not just ROS).

In the early rounds I tend to shuffle around the outer tables and catch those names you tend not to see on the TV and you can see some great tussles, some great breaks, and camaraderie between all the players. Also get to see some of the new influx of referees - the Welsh Open is an event that WS "test" upcoming referees (saw two this year ).
                            Gotta love your enthusiasm Dean but high street snooker clubs with 20 year old tables are a different world to WS venue tables,different planet,all about money indeed.
                            Ask some pro's and top amateurs yourself mate,they'll tell you you wouldn't be allowed to play on their table,it's all about the have's and have not's,Grapes of Wrath and all that mate :-)

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post

Gotta love your enthusiasm Dean but high street snooker clubs with 20 year old tables are a different world to WS venue tables,different planet,all about money indeed.
                              Ask some pro's and top amateurs yourself mate,they'll tell you you wouldn't be allowed to play on their table,it's all about the have's and have not's,Grapes of Wrath and all that mate :-)
                              :biggrin:
                              Can but try
                              Try 100 year and 2x 50+yr tables at my club
                              I love playing, I love watching on TV, stream or even on small mobile screen - can't get enough.

How did you know I have asked a pro if I could have a go on their table and got the very same answer?!?! :wink:

Like snookerfan - does not play but loves watching and going to events many times in the year! Dedication and love of the game

Rane - why the "absolute" statement that you would not go to an event? I only started going a few years ago and it is great
                              I know I may be biased (just a tad) but just would like to know?

Comment

Working...
                              X