Looking for my first cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for my first cue

Hi guys. I am so glad I found this forum while looking around for information regarding everything about snooker. I played snooker for about 2 years around 14 years ago at a local snooker parlor but after that got shut, I lost touch since we didn't have any other place to play in. A month back a new place opened up and I have started developing interest in it yet again. I play everyday for about 1-2 hours and was looking for a personal cue since most of the cues at the parlor are bent. I do not know if that would make a difference since I have heard professionals winning tournaments with bent cues.

That aside, I would be really grateful if anyone here could help me choose the right cue since there are no stores here that sell cues so I am forced to look for one online. Doing some research I found that based on my height which is 6 feet, I am looking for a cue that is about 58"-59". Ash shaft. Now thing is I am not sure about the weight since there is no way to measure the weight of the cues in the parlor. Also what about the butt size? The dimensions of my hand is 3.5" across the middle x 7.5" from the bottom of the palm to the tip of the middle finger.

I have looked at a few brands like Woods, Omin, Master Cue, Ton Praram, John Parris to name a few (the last too being a little over the budget for a beginner I suppose).

Now keeping in mind that I am a beginner, can you suggest a decent cue to start with?

Please remember that there is no store that I can go into and try a few cues at hand.

Thank you.

What is your budget ? Where are you based ?
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
      What is your budget ? Where are you based ?
      I would say my budget is around 10000-15000 INR (150-200 USD).

I live in Shillong, a really small city in Northeast India.

Most of the handmade cues I have seen charge really heavy for shipping except for Woods which ships to India for free. Also there is an Indian cue maker by the name of Nagee but I have no idea how his cues are.

Thanks

Comment

This company is based in the UK , but they do a starter pack which may be ok for you . Unsure on shipping costs . But the guy that owns the place , Stuart , is very helpful .

https://www.greenbaize.com/product/s...ase-mini-butt/

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
          This company is based in the UK , but they do a starter pack which may be ok for you . Unsure on shipping costs . But the guy that owns the place , Stuart , is very helpful .

https://www.greenbaize.com/product/s...ase-mini-butt/
          Thanks Neil. I will have a look at it.

I have one question though. I have read that the bigger the tip (around 10mm) the more accurate your shots are but you compromise on the spin. As a beginner, would you suggest I start with a big tip size?

Comment

9.5mm or 10mm will be fine .

For me , you wouldn't want to learn at one tip size and then change to another . Although I am sure that plenty of players have done that .

Comment

For $200 you can also get the lower tier handspliced Master Cues, such as the Probutt or Millennium. Could even get lucky and find a Maximus Immortal or Ton Praram Series 1 for that or a little more if you shop around. Don't know much about O'min, other than to watch out for the Chinese immitations carrying the same name- make sure you a re looking at an authentic Thai cue if the price seems to good to be true

Comment

For 200 I could refer you to one or two Thai cuemakers who would do you as good a cue as you could get delivered to your door

Comment

Originally Posted by psyhigh View Post
                  Hi guys. I am so glad I found this forum while looking around for information regarding everything about snooker. I played snooker for about 2 years around 14 years ago at a local snooker parlor but after that got shut, I lost touch since we didn't have any other place to play in. A month back a new place opened up and I have started developing interest in it yet again. I play everyday for about 1-2 hours and was looking for a personal cue since most of the cues at the parlor are bent. I do not know if that would make a difference since I have heard professionals winning tournaments with bent cues.

That aside, I would be really grateful if anyone here could help me choose the right cue since there are no stores here that sell cues so I am forced to look for one online. Doing some research I found that based on my height which is 6 feet, I am looking for a cue that is about 58"-59". Ash shaft. Now thing is I am not sure about the weight since there is no way to measure the weight of the cues in the parlor. Also what about the butt size? The dimensions of my hand is 3.5" across the middle x 7.5" from the bottom of the palm to the tip of the middle finger.

I have looked at a few brands like Woods, Omin, Master Cue, Ton Praram, John Parris to name a few (the last too being a little over the budget for a beginner I suppose).

Now keeping in mind that I am a beginner, can you suggest a decent cue to start with?

Please remember that there is no store that I can go into and try a few cues at hand.

Thank you.
                  Welcome to the forum. I am from Hyderabad. You could get a Ton Praram Series 1 for around 15k INR or less excluding shipping costs. There are a few dealers in Bengaluru.
                  Last edited by fkhan; 11 February 2019, 10:44 PM.

Comment

@sanman please PM some details.

@psyhigh i am based out of BLR and can help with availability with some dealers here. I can get the cues to CCU for you but you might have to get them to Shillong from CCU.
                    send me a PM and I can help you out..

Comment

Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
                      @sanman please PM some details.

@psyhigh i am based out of BLR and can help with availability with some dealers here. I can get the cues to CCU for you but you might have to get them to Shillong from CCU.
                      send me a PM and I can help you out..
                      Unfortunately I am not able to send you a PM. Can you tell me details about it here? I have someone in Bangalore that could pick up the cue for me but I will need someone with a good knowledge to buy a cue for me from there since I will not be able to test it before purchasing.

Comment

Hi does anyone know how much a Stamford series 2 cue cost?

Comment

Originally Posted by dave11 View Post
                          Hi does anyone know how much a Stamford series 2 cue cost?
                          They start at around £500. In 2016 they started at £498...
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Thanks mate.

Comment

Hi guys. So I contacted a dealer in Bangalore, India and asked him for some options. He told me I could either go for a Ton Praram series 1 plain ebony butt or one of these Phoenix cues posted below. The TP one is a little cheaper at £165 and Phoenix at £220 for the cues only. Which one is the better option?

Also if someone can suggest be something cheaper for my first cue I'd appreciate that

https://ibb.co/6s2KDgy
                              https://ibb.co/jr33Q7v
                              https://ibb.co/V3C5yKJ

Comment

Working...
                              X