Old Billiard Table Getting done up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Billiard Table Getting done up

Have no idea what table's it is we have in our club, it's defo an old billiard slate tho as everyone of them spit balls out the middle bags with any kind of pace so it's a pre 1980's table for sure with kinda square looking legs rather than the rounded aristocrat style.

What I'm asking here is I have the opportunity through my club to get this table done up to match standards for me to practice on for the tournaments can people here who are knowledgable in tables check over my requirement list and amend if I've missed anything or got anything wrong. The guys in the club aren't players so it's going to be down to me to talk to the fitters and I want to make sure I've got all boxes ticked for this type of table to come into something more enjoyable to play on as they are very slow potentionally dead cushions and the dodgy billiard middle bags is where it's at the moment.

1. Check level of table is straight (obvious I know but many of their tables have some bad rolls at present)
    2. Check pocket dimensions to 3.5 inch tournament size, middle bags adjust slate fall or pocket position for snooker to allow power blues and stun into the middle bags.

3. Cushion rubbers I don't know how to check if these are worn other than a dull thud sometimes?
    We are going for steel blockers for it in the summer but it's getting a part make over just now so should I be looking or asking fitters for something relating to dead cushions and how much would this cost?

4. Number 10 strachan cloth to bed and cushion rails to replicate match conditions

5. It already has high powered lighting which is one thing they have spent cash on.

6. along with the steel blockers being on the later to do list I'm going to get a heating element installed on it aswell

Have I missed anything?

You have missed tons of things. For instance where the fall of the slate is, how the pockets are undercut (it's different for snooker), how are you going to treat the jaws of the pockets, will you have a template to work to?

Hire a reliable fitter like Geoff on here if he happens to be near your area. Not all fitters are knowledgeable regarding altering a table from billiards to snooker.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      You have missed tons of things. For instance where the fall of the slate is, how the pockets are undercut (it's different for snooker), how are you going to treat the jaws of the pockets, will you have a template to work to?

Hire a reliable fitter like Geoff on here if he happens to be near your area. Not all fitters are knowledgeable regarding altering a table from billiards to snooker.
      That's what I'm worried about mate, the guy who does our tables in the club has apparently fitted John Higgins Table since he was 16 years old so I'm hoping he will be the man for the job of sorting out the old billiard slate and middle pockets so they take the balls for snooker shots

Comment

Most likely he knows what he's doing then but has he ever converted a billiard table to a snooker table? They are a bit different however if he has templates it shouldn't be any problem
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Another fitter I've spoke to has said it's more hassle than it's worth like pumping money into an old money pit car if a table is **** it's best getting rid and getting a new one however it's down to the club owners as it's there space so don't think it's gonna work out I'll need to have a think where else I can get decent practice facilities for now.

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post

5. It already has high powered lighting which is one thing they have spent cash on.

6. along with the steel blockers being on the later to do list I'm going to get a heating element installed on it aswell

What kind of lighting have they got and what kind of heating are you thinking about?

Comment

I've left them to it now mate and playing elsewhere as Terry says converting old billiard tables to snooker is a bit of a process and not worth it half the time. Spoke to another fitter and he said the same thing.

Comment

Given the number of snooker table available for almost nothing, I would be inclined not to bother.
                王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                  Given the number of snooker table available for almost nothing, I would be inclined not to bother.
                  They aren't the sharpest tools in the box that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X