Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep you eye on the ball - but which ball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep you eye on the ball - but which ball?

I always thought that your eyes should be fixed firmly on the object ball during pause to delivery of cue on final backswing.

Discussion during mid session of world championships there was a coach who indicated that a number of top pros actually focus / watch the cue ball on delivery of cue !!

Anyone got any insights ( excuse the pun) on this seemingly important change of technique.

Thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by sprogbasket; 7 May 2018, 08:36 AM. Reason: Typo

It was Chris Henry, and apparently Judd changes between the 2, depending on the shot.

Nearly all that he mentioned were OB though?

Comment

Keep you eye on the ball - but which ball?

close your eyes like Williams does...

Comment

I don't think its a case of one or another depending on the type of shot.
        IMO it's all about rhythm - once a player is in flow / on a break he or she has got their eye in and the balls are just going in no matter if their eyes are fixed on the cue ball or object ball... It's all translucent.
        ---
        When a player is cold he or she needs to rely on their rudiments which may mean to focus more on the object ball at the point of shooting...

He or she needs to discover what works best for themselves.
        "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
        National Snooker Expo
        25-27 October 2019
        http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

I have found with myself and some of my students that I place my eyes on the OB at the front pause and keep them there through the backswing and delivery. I see PJ Nolan recommends the same thing for all ages although some other coaches recommend the eyes go back and forth between the two but lock onto the OB at or near the rear pause. I believe it's better for older players to do it earlier since it takes them longer to focus.
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks for the replies - Williams should have played that shot on Friday when May the 4 th was with him - but I sense the force is very strong with him this year anyway.

Terrys observations are interesting - I am knocking on a bit and it does indeed take my eyes a bit longer to re- focus . This is especially true now I wear contact lenses.

Comment

Originally Posted by Sparks147 View Post
              close your eyes like Williams does...
              If you're lined up properly on the shot it should go in regardless of your eyes being opened or not. Your aiming is basically done when you stand behind the white and walk into the shot.

Comment

Trouble with this is you may pull the cue off line on the delivery. Is it not better to watch the cue come back on the final back swing to make sure you are still on line? This gives you a chance to abort the shot or if all is good switch eyes to OB and deliver.
                If I'm wrong its no wonder I'm struggling to make a 50 break!!

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                If you're lined up properly on the shot it should go in regardless of your eyes being opened or not. Your aiming is basically done when you stand behind the white and walk into the shot.

Comment

Working...
                X