Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To re-furb or not to refurb.........................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To re-furb or not to refurb.........................

That is the question.

Are old cues better left alone, or is a refurb the order of the day.

Originally i was keeping this, then couldn't decide, and a trip to Robert Osborne's later, i'm keeping it now. So i'm thinking of getting it refurbed.

Just out of interest, what are the views of forum members when it comes to refurbing...?

If the cue is playable e.g. The shaft is smooth and ferrule is playable then personally I wouldn't touch it.
    I think old cues have a personality and distinctive look and feel... So leave the old bird alone and give her a good rub down
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Refurb say equals a deep clean, fix knocks, maybe new ferrule, reseal, refinish, repolish, rebuffed.
      Refurb to an old dirty cue that has not been used for many years (or one that has been used much but never cleaned) is needed to bring it back to life
      A refurb every now and then, not every year
      Last edited by DeanH; 31 August 2018, 08:05 AM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

That's not an antique cue, so refurb away, they are meant to be played with

Comment

Thanks.

No not antique. It's 83-89, but has a few knocks in it. I'm leaning toward refurb, but still thinking. Could take a while that, LOL.

Comment

Take it to Roberts workshop and you’ll have it back in a week or so.
            VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
            Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
            Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
            Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              That's not an antique cue, so refurb away, they are meant to be played with
              Yep, what John says. "old" is a term that means different things to different people.

For me, this is just a recent cue, that could benefit from a tidy up.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Yes i always looked at 1980's as modern, but wanted to get some thought's.

I already went to Roberts. He told me quite a lot about the Hunt & OByrne cues i would never have known or looked for, so a great learning experience too.

Comment

Some Hunt & OByrne cues were made by Aeon cues in Coventry, who were excellent cue makers and won awards for their handmade cues.
                  I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

It was interesting talking to Robert. He told me quite a bit about the whole thing.

This one has the thin text, and along with the font shows that it is the early Hunt & O'Byrne. These were the first badges apparently. Aeon made them later on. I actually remember a friend with a green plate, and looking back at it now, would say that one was Aeon. Nice cue too.

Comment

yep, 1980s I would say
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Please tell us more about the H&O stories.

Comment

Working...
                        X