Any players with clammy/sweaty hands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any players with clammy/sweaty hands?

Hey everyone! I would like to know if anyone shares the same struggle as I do, playing snooker with sweaty/clammy hands.

To deal with this, I always have a face towel to keep my hands as dry as I can. I also use talcum powder on my bridge hand between my index finger and thumb. Does anyone else do this? I certainly have not seen any professionals doing this. I would like to know if anyone else faces this issue and I would love to hear about how to deal with it!

I can never play properly without using talcum powder with my own cue, but there are some cues that are quite smooth and more playable than my own cue without talcum powder.. Do I just have a sticky cue? Although in situations with cues that I've tried that are still okay without powder, I would still prefer using powder.

Never. I would never use talc either. Just always clean your hands and keep your cue wiped with minimal dampness

Comment

I generally employ a guy to follow me around the table with a mop to get rid of the sweat puddles, our club is ROASTING

Comment

If you can't play without talc your cue might need a good clean. Just use a slightly damp cloth and rub the cue while protecting the tip and then use tissue paper to dry it. Tissue paper dries it quickest and you can also see how much gunk it takes off. Do this a few times and make sure it's left bone dry. If your cue is clean and your hands are washed with soap you shouldn't need anything to cue properly. The talc will find its way on to the table and that might be an issue for some people. ie the table cleaners!
        www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

You could just use a cue glove. Although if you end up playing in the shootout people will sing songs about it at you

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
            You could just use a cue glove. Although if you end up playing in the shootout people will sing songs about it at you
            Hit me with your rhythm stick?
            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
              Hit me with your rhythm stick?
              It was what's a glove got to do with it, IIRC.

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
                If you can't play without talc your cue might need a good clean. Just use a slightly damp cloth and rub the cue while protecting the tip and then use tissue paper to dry it. Tissue paper dries it quickest and you can also see how much gunk it takes off. Do this a few times and make sure it's left bone dry. If your cue is clean and your hands are washed with soap you shouldn't need anything to cue properly. The talc will find its way on to the table and that might be an issue for some people. ie the table cleaners!
                I'll give that a try and hopefully it works. I always keep my hands clean before playing

Comment

I have the same problem as you. Apart from the advice already given this works for me quite well:
                  Clean the cue as described. Then apply linseed oil to the cue using tissue paper with some drops of linseed oil. Be careful to protect the tip. After about an hour wipe away remains of the linseed oil on the cue using a paper tissue. Then after 24 hours clean the cue again using a damp and a dry towel. Your cue should be smooth again.
                  I play about 8 hours a week and do this about every two months. Hope that helps.

Comment

I have the same problem and advise the same. Keep cue clean and wash hands after every frame if possible. I also have a cue towel and make one corner slightly damp, so I can wipe down and dry cue (and bridge hand) if not able to wash them.
                    I went into a chemist and asked for a deodorant, the assistant said "ball, stick or aerosol", "No, I want it for under my arms!" was my reply.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                      It was what's a glove got to do with it, IIRC.
                      I suppose that's better than bluuuuuuuueeee and yellllllllooooowwww
                      It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Just wash your hands a lot. It's maybe because your cue is sticky. You should wipe your cue with a damp cloth to get rid of the sweat that builds up, and every so often coat it in linseed oil and buff off. I wet wipe my cue at least every other or third time I play.

Comment

I find that a couple of well groomed, and strategically placed plasters; remove the buggery cloth, just the sticky plaster part, inside the index and thumb with a manicurists precision; in lieu of a glove; too distracting.

Comment

Could also be the humidity causing the cue to feel sticky

Comment

Whenever I'm nervous playing, I often get really cold hands... I'm talking freezing... Does anyone else have that?

Comment

Working...
                              X