Tips & Tip pressers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips & Tip pressers

Have been doing a little bit of searching recently All about Tips, there are loads of threads going back 10 years and more, so its a subject that will allways evolve.

Anyway I've made a decision.

But I was surprised in a number of threads where People were buying pressed soft tips and then putting them in a press to harden them, dosen't this defeat the object ? why buy a soft tip in the first place.

Am just curious, I'm sure the more knowledgable here on TSF will have an answer.

I was searching for something with consistancy which I think I've found which would negate any need for a press.

John.
    Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

I think this all came about from elks being so bad and random, being able to effectively make bad ones good.

More of a thing a few years back when most people were still picking through boxes of elks. Now many have given up on them completely with the number of alternatives available

Comment

Originally Posted by qc2 View Post
      I think this all came about from elks being so bad and random, being able to effectively make bad ones good.

More of a thing a few years back when most people were still picking through boxes of elks. Now many have given up on them completely with the number of alternatives available
      am still using elks.. got about 30 in a box that must be at least 15 years old.. slap it on and let it bed naturally.. it eventually shapes itself to the way I hold my cue..then trim edges once after a good few frames and its good till next time.. never personally had an issue with them...

Comment

i think the issue with elks was a more recent thing. Your 15 year old box might prompt a few here to get in touch and make you some offers!

Comment

Makes sense qc, I actually did wonder if the press was a 'gimick' but from what i've read it did do the job. I've seen quite a few more recent comments about elks, Not very encouraging I must say.

Comment

Is there still a need to press pressed tips further these days?

Comment

Originally Posted by Bulkie View Post
              Is there still a need to press pressed tips further these days?
              Given a choice I'd still press some Blue Diamonds and even Elks if I still used them, may people still do.
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

I still have some nineties blue diamonds, and some more recent buffalo diamond plus (different sizes). I use a press before fitting them and still like them doing that. Will probably move to a grand medium when they are gone.

Comment

I haven't tried, but a question to those who have... I've found that as a tip nears the end of it's life I'm having to continually scuff the top to give it some life and take chalk as it's rock hard. Would a compressed tip not just be like this from start to finish?

Comment

I haven't tried, but a question to those who have... I've found that as a tip nears the end of it's life I'm having to continually scuff the top to give it some life and take chalk as it's rock hard. Would a compressed tip not just be like this from start to finish?
                    I'm not very well educated in this area qc, but I've tried a laminated tip just recently and have had exactly what you describe, So I did some research on here and I hope have found a pressed tip that sounds very consistant so am hoping it will do as you say.

Comment

Pretty sure there will be others like myself that once a tip becomes rock hard and having to continually scuff it up etc..its time to change it..I like a bit of give in the tip.. helps me feel the shot better.. or used to.. after not having played in many years I am starting over... can be really frustrating when I compare what I used to play like to now..but early days.. it will come...hopefully.

Comment

Depends. What tip are you starting with, how do you want it to be, how tall do you like your fitted tip?

If you don't have a tip press (or a vice) then you are reliant on how they come out of the box. With a press you have some options (that you don't have to use). I only use pressed tips, and have no experience with laminated tips. I have found that, for how I like a tip (quite firm, quite high, preferably consistent as I take it down over time) a press takes the BD's or BD+ to a firmer more consistent tip. I don't have a problem with it getting overly hard (perhaps I have a wider window of acceptability - I don't find the need to be continually be shaping, scuffing, and pricking my tips). I find that the tips are to my liking from quite high, and remain consistently useable for a long time. I feel, in my case, that's the advantage of pressing the tip to get a consistency I like.

Without the press I feel i would have to shape a tip shorter, and it would be less consistent as it wore. I don't have any real problem with chalk (green triangle)...which is at least in part helped by having a high tip that I can shape down a little over time. I also think that a firmer tip (which running a tip through a press does) clogs less with chalk, and thus changes less as it takes on chalk.

Like much of the game, this might be in my mind, so what works for me might not work for you. I'm not the biggest scorer (top break in a match 70+), but I do move the white around well, so I don't feel I'm missing a trick with my tip preferences.

YMMV

Comment

I think if someone came out with a tip press that can adapt to different tip size to put the proper form for each size when completed and also monitor and display the pressure that is being put on the tip would probably sell a few.
                          I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by sharkster63 View Post
                            I think if someone came out with a tip press that can adapt to different tip size to put the proper form for each size when completed and also monitor and display the pressure that is being put on the tip would probably sell a few.
                            Sounds expensive. I could see a load cell as the flat face quite easily. I'm not sure the practical benefit it would add much at the cost.

The simple cartridge type tip presses have domed and flat sides. You locate the upper in the dome, and screw down the flat. So the diameter is not critical. I've had good success with 9, 10, 11, and home made 12 mm tips. You get a feel for pressure through the feedback on your hands as you screw it tight.

The 12mm tips I make myself. Punch a disk out of some thick leather, condition in the press several times. Not the greatest tips probably, but perfectly fine for break cues and half butts. I wouldn't like to try to use one unpressed.

Comment

Presprout, There is allot to be said about keeping things simple, I agree with you about the cost of manufacturing an item like this. My initial thought was to build it with a spring like the old fish weighing scale, the pressure would be indicated, not sure about how to get the perfect mold for different size tips, not got there yet. Lol I have to wait for some more divine inspiration. Lol Well these tips that you are making are much better than paying the outrageous prices for some of the tips on the market, Truth be told I am very happy with my box of Grand and Box of Long Ba I purchased, I find they play very well. All the same I still want to buy a simple cartridge vice and give it a go. Cheers
                              I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X