How To Modify A Brass Bumper To Work With Taylor Made Cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Modify A Brass Bumper To Work With Taylor Made Cues

I suspect a few on here have Taylor Made cues by Gary Taylor. If you do you may, like me, have looked round for a brass bumper to protect the butt of the cue, only to realise that none are available. Gary had none either. The quick alternative was to find some cheap rubber push in jobby but I personally dislike them and they always end up lost on some club floor, IME.

A couple of days ago I took a £6.95 punt on one of these, designed for Phoenix and Maximus cues.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRASS-BUT...S/263984836490

Unfortunately, when it arrived the thread was too small and it was of no use for my cue. Instead of sending it back, since there weren't really any other options open to me, I decided to see if I could modify it to work. It turned out to be a fairly simple fix.

Select and cut a piece from a tube of heat-shrink and shrink it round the thread with one of these or the wife's hairdryer:

Test fit it and if it now threads snugly into your cue butt then all good, if not add a second piece. Heat-shrink tends to be all different sizes and widths so a good one will require one piece, whereas a cheaper thinner bit will probably need two. Once you've shrunk them on the thread they will mold nicely along it. Next, unscrew the bumper from the heat-shrink, add a little superglue to the bumper thread and screw it back in.

Once done you've got a secure thread of the correct size

that will now snug up nicely against the butt and won't vibrate loose with use.

It's also threads back out easily when you need to screw in an extension.

Job done!! Hope that may help someone else who was finding that search a tad frustrating.. or maybe it was just me.. :snooker:

Not a lover of butt plugs [ for cues ], can't see the need for them unless you are playing on a concrete floor ……….but that is very ingenious what you have done and a great post .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
      Not a lover of butt plugs [ for cues ], can't see the need for them unless you are playing on a concrete floor ……….but that is very ingenious what you have done and a great post .
      Thanks Neil.

Comment

I just rest the cue on my left foot 😁

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          I just rest the cue on my left foot ��
          LOLOL! Grab a bumper and your foot will be free for dancing instead!

Comment

I've already decided I like you WD : )
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
              I've already decided I like you WD : )
              Why thank you, CC!!

Comment

Originally Posted by WIGHTDIAMOND View Post
                Why thank you, CC!!
                Did you buy your Taylor made online? (Guess so on IOW). What made you choose it if I may ask? Looks nice to my eye as I love a plain ebony butt.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Did you buy your Taylor made online? (Guess so on IOW). What made you choose it if I may ask? Looks nice to my eye as I love a plain ebony butt.
                  I had to, I'm afraid, yes. I purchased it from Cue & Case. I sat Charlie down on the other end of the phone and gave him a list of wants and don't wants, weight and weight distribution, then had him go test all the Taylor Made cues he had that fell within the given parameters and tell me which felt most distributed as I'd described. It actually worked well and he got me a cue with the exact weight I asked for (19.2 oz) and one which was well balanced.
                  Like you, I really like the plain ebony butts so that would always be my choice, regardless of maker.
                  I did a fair bit of research before deciding on a maker/brand. The player reviews of the TM cues were always favourable, most surprised at how well they played and how good a cue they felt they got for their money. Their description of how the cues played really made the decision for me. I've yet to test the cue extensively and hope to get time over the Christmas period but from what I can tell the choice was a good one and I'm pleased. I'll report back in the coming weeks. At the moment I'm trying to figure out tips, of which there are now two million choices, it would seem. Back in the day you either had a tip or you didn't..
                  Last edited by WIGHTDIAMOND; 19 December 2018, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by WIGHTDIAMOND View Post
                    I had to, I'm afraid, yes. I purchased it from Cue & Case. I sat Charlie down on the other end of the phone and gave him a list of wants and don't wants, weight and weight distribution, then had him go test all the Taylor Made cues he had that fell within the given parameters and tell me which felt most distributed as I'd described. It actually worked well and he got me a cue with the exact weight I asked for (19.2 oz) and one which was well balanced.
                    Like you, I really like the plain ebony butts so that would always be my choice, regardless of maker.
                    I did a fair bit of research before deciding on a maker/brand. The player reviews of the TM cues were always favourable, most surprised at how well they played and how good a cue they felt they got for their money. Their description of how the cues played really made the decision for me. I've yet to test the cue extensively and hope to get time over the Christmas period but from what I can tell the choice was a good one and I'm pleased. I'll report back in the coming weeks. At the moment I'm trying to figure out tips, of which there are now two million choices, it would seem. Back in the day you either had a tip or you didn't..
                    Tips can be a mare these days due to the amount of choice. It felt like a minefield to me when returning to the game a few years back. My only recommendation to avoid lots of pain and time wasting through trial and error would be to go straight to a laminated layered tip. ADR147 on here does a calf skin tip that everyone seems to like. If you liked the old blue diamonds (the elks and BD on the market today are very hit and miss quality wise) then Phoenix do a black laminated tip which I use in a medium, very good consistent tips last ages with hardly any wear. They will take you a few frames to get used to but are great. Bit different to fit you need a scalpel for trim the edge etc. Shockerz on here has some good videos to help, but as you've already proven your workshop skills, will be a doddle for you.

Gary Taylor used to run the cue doctor shop over my way. Knows his way around cues, he made Stuart Binghams old cue. Doesn't make many these days as that is hard business to make money from, mainly seems to source good quality Thai cues these days I believe. Another good thing about him is he understands the difference between old fashioned balance in a cue and the newer weight distribution in the mid shift preferred by some younger players. So if he's trained his salesmen with his knowledge probably why you were able to get something pretty close to what you asked for.
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Tips can be a mare these days due to the amount of choice. It felt like a minefield to me when returning to the game a few years back. My only recommendation to avoid lots of pain and time wasting through trial and error would be to go straight to a laminated layered tip. ADR147 on here does a calf skin tip that everyone seems to like. If you liked the old blue diamonds (the elks and BD on the market today are very hit and miss quality wise) then Phoenix do a black laminated tip which I use in a medium, very good consistent tips last ages with hardly any wear. They will take you a few frames to get used to but are great. Bit different to fit you need a scalpel for trim the edge etc. Shockerz on here has some good videos to help, but as you've already proven your workshop skills, will be a doddle for you.

Gary Taylor used to run the cue doctor shop over my way. Knows his way around cues, he made Stuart Binghams old cue. Doesn't make many these days as that is hard business to make money from, mainly seems to source good quality Thai cues these days I believe. Another good thing about him is he understands the difference between old fashioned balance in a cue and the newer weight distribution in the mid shift preferred by some younger players. So if he's trained his salesmen with his knowledge probably why you were able to get something pretty close to what you asked for.
                      Well, I'm afraid I probably overworked the guy at Cue & Case but he seems to have got it bang on. I loathe a skitty cue, one that's too light on my bridge, so I need some of the weight nicely distributed along the shaft so I don't feel I'm holding the cue down on my bridge. He picked the right cue for me as I had time to go play a couple of frames this morning and the cue was spot on. In fact, it's the nicest cue I've played with and I've played a few.
                      Gary apparently has a factory in Thailand that produces the wood/shafts. They are then sent on to him and he finishes them and turns them into cues. The quality appears spot on and I'd bet they'll rival cues 4-5 time their current price. It will be interesting to see how long they sell them at the current price level.

Tips!! Interesting you should say that as I have an ADR147 laminated tip in my bag and I think it'll be the first to go on my cue for testing. So far I have in the queue:

1. ADR147 Laminated
                      2. Elk Pro (medium)
                      3. Monstar Laminated (soft)
                      4. Blue Diamonds
                      5. Cuesoul (super soft)

The cue arrived with a 8.7mm Elk Master. I need to bang in a few more balls yet but straight out of the box it's a bit soft. I'll play a few more frames and then move on so I have an idea how it plays, at least before I bin it.

Comment

I currently have a Mike Wooldridge Supertip, which a TSF member sent me, that dates from many years ago (before they went a bit off for a year or three) and it a superb tip. I bought some of his new Supertips which are back to good again and fitted to a few friends' cues and they love them as well, so another one for your list
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          I currently have a Mike Wooldridge Supertip, which a TSF member sent me, that dates from many years ago (before they went a bit off for a year or three) and it a superb tip. I bought some of his new Supertips which are back to good again and fitted to a few friends' cues and they love them as well, so another one for your list
                          Ahh!! Now that's one I'm going to try too. Meant to put that on the list. Those just come in one hardness, yes?

Comment

Yes I believe so
                            He does other tips but the Supertip is spot on in my opinion
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              Yes I believe so
                              He does other tips but the Supertip is spot on in my opinion
                              Cool, will grab a set.

Comment

Working...
                              X