Are cases supposed to be waterproof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are cases supposed to be waterproof?

The one I have at the moment certainly isn't, if I walk outside in the pouring rain then the cue gets a bit damp which is no doubt terrible for it! But I'm still just using the same crappy case that I got with a cheap old cue years ago. Is this just standard behaviour or should I be getting a better case? If not I may start putting my case inside a plastic cover. Not sure where I'd find such a thing but I'm sure there'll be something out there that'll do the trick...

You’d think they should be, but in my experience, no leather case I’ve had has been waterproof, only the halo style or aluminium types.

Cheap plastic sleazing for the cue inside the case is a must if you’re waking with a cue in a case that’s not waterproof, twice I’ve arrived to a match with a sodden tip which is unplayable which is bad enough, but I’ve also heard of one gent who’s cue got wet and they didn’t notice and went “snap” the next time they used it!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old cue collector --
    Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
    (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
      You’d think they should be, but in my experience, no leather case I’ve had has been waterproof, only the halo style or aluminium types.

Cheap plastic sleazing for the cue inside the case is a must if you’re waking with a cue in a case that’s not waterproof, twice I’ve arrived to a match with a sodden tip which is unplayable which is bad enough, but I’ve also heard of one gent who’s cue got wet and they didn’t notice and went “snap” the next time they used it!
      I think it's accepted that great looking leather made cases aren't made for tough weather conditions, a bit like spending a fortune on some decent leather shoes and then walking out in the rain for an hour.

It's a shame as you almost need a case for your case which makes it a bit daft but maybe a necessity if you've spent few bob.

I looked a little while back for a decent fishing case that I could put on my leather patchwork case but couldn't find one large enough.

If some one knows of a place where you could buy a decent one I would have a go at making a solution as been thinking about it for a while; just need something to match it against.
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post

You mean Peradon's Halo cases? I don't really care about my case's appearance in the slightest to be honest, I just want solid functionality, so I don't need a fancy leather one or anything. A Halo case should do the job then?

Comment

The Halo cases are good but do yourself a favour and get this one without the branding:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-4-Snook...E/132799155790

My best offer of £45 (shipped) was accepted by the seller and the case is brilliant. Seller was good to deal with, too.
          Last edited by WIGHTDIAMOND; 5 January 2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by WIGHTDIAMOND View Post
            The Halo cases are good but do yourself a favour and get this one without the branding:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-4-Snook...E/132799155790

My best offer of £45 (shipped) was accepted by the seller and the case is brilliant. Seller was good to deal with, too.
            Cheers, I'm on the hunt for something to hold two one piece cues and extensions though! So far I've just found the Halo Plus and this one:

https://www.woodscues.com/collection...ots-for-60-cue

Although I don't even know if the Halo Plus will be big enough to accommodate a 59" cue, it'd be touch and go when you include the tip as well...

Comment

Originally Posted by cal View Post
              Cheers, I'm on the hunt for something to hold two one piece cues and extensions though! So far I've just found the Halo Plus and this one:

https://www.woodscues.com/collection...ots-for-60-cue

Although I don't even know if the Halo Plus will be big enough to accommodate a 59" cue, it'd be touch and go when you include the tip as well...
              https://www.peradon.co.uk/cue-cases/...).aspx#product
              interior is supposedly 59.25" 150.5cm
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                https://www.peradon.co.uk/cue-cases/...).aspx#product
                interior is supposedly 59.25" 150.5cm
                Yeah exactly - a perfectly 59" cue would mean a max tip height of 1/4", it should fit but it'd be mighty close!

Comment

not many cues are "perfectly" to the "inch"
                  I take it you don't have the cues yet?
                  ask for 58 11/12th from the maker :wink:

Comment

not many cues are "perfectly" to the "inch"
                    I take it you don't have the cues yet?
                    ask for 58 11/12th from the maker :wink:
                    Correct, just planning ahead. I'm getting an English pool cue in the next few days that's only 57", but long term I plan on getting a 59" MW snooker cue, and when that happens I'll want to carry them around in the same case. so I may as well get that case now instead of buying one case to accommodate the pool cue and then needing to buy another when I get the snooker cue!

Comment

Do you play pool at the snooker club; do you play both games in the same night?

If you don't, i.e. you play pool down the pub; I would suggest you have a case for the pool cue and a case for the snooker cue
                      then when you are down the pub you don't have your pride and joy snooker cue lying around just waiting to be nabbed by some sc****!

It has happened

I have a pool and a snooker cue; I don't play both in the same night, so only take one out at a time

Just my thoughts

Comment

Do you play pool at the snooker club; do you play both games in the same night?

If you don't, i.e. you play pool down the pub; I would suggest you have a case for the pool cue and a case for the snooker cue
                        then when you are down the pub you don't have your pride and joy snooker cue lying around just waiting to be nabbed by some sc****!

It has happened

I have a pool and a snooker cue; I don't play both in the same night, so only take one out at a time

Just my thoughts
                        Unfortunately I do often go down the club not knowing what I'll be playing! I always play snooker if I have the choice, but there's not many snooker tables so I sometimes have to resort to pool.

Comment

At the moment I'm just using my current snooker for both, but it's the opposite of what you look for in an English pool cue. Long, heavy and with a big tip.

Comment

Do what I did, instead of two cues get something you can use for both. 57" -58", weight whatever you're comfortable with tip size 9.25 you'll be able to use it for both easily, much better than faffing around with two cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
                              Do what I did, instead of two cues get something you can use for both. 57" -58", weight whatever you're comfortable with tip size 9.25 you'll be able to use it for both easily, much better than faffing around with two cues.
                              Same here. If it's English 8 ball your snooker cue should be spot on. If it's American 9 you'll want a dedicated cue.

Comment

Working...
                              X