How Long Should My Cue Be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Should My Cue Be?

How do you determine how long your cue needs to be?

Im about 6ft 4 and looking at getting a cue....

also, is there a way of working out where your bridge hand and back hand need to be placed on the cue?

is it just where you feel the most comfortable?

Thanks

Go on to you tube watch barry stark coaching videos he is good for that kind of stuff
    Current playing cue Trevor White
    3/4 ash cue

Comment

I think the general rule is the tip of the cue should come to just below your shoulder as you are standing up straight with your shoulders relaxed. This should make it feel comfortable holding the butt of the cue close to the end. For shots in amongst the balls that need less power I see the pros hold the butt a few inches further in.
      www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

It should be long enough so that you can reach the balls, but not so long you can't get through the door.

Comment

I would be looking at 59in 591/2in cues you really need to try some to find out don’t go buying without knowing what you want

Comment

Originally Posted by Sparks147 View Post
            How do you determine how long your cue needs to be?
            Im about 6ft 4 and looking at getting a cue....
            also, is there a way of working out where your bridge hand and back hand need to be placed on the cue?
            is it just where you feel the most comfortable?
            Thanks
            Ten minutes with a coach or some other knowledgeable person would sort you out. A lot depends on personal preference but there's a couple of things you can do yourself which would give you an idea of what length of cue you need:-
            1) Number of inches you prefer from bridge to tip. Usually about 8/10.
            2) Where you hold the cue at the butt end so that your arm is perpendicular.
            Would have thought that unless you have abnormally long arms a standard 58" cue would suffice.

Comment

How Long Should My Cue Be?

thanks for the replies guys.

I might get a couple of hours with a coach just to be sure...

Comment

It also depends whether you have long arms or not. I'm six two but have long arms and a standard 57/58 inch isn't long enough for me as I like to have a straight bridge arm so I bought a 62 inch cue that's now 61 due to having ferrule trouble and having it removed (not by me I must add) which damaged the end of the cue.
                It's still fine for me though as I still have about 12 inches over my thumb with my cue arm just behind the vertical at address, which is important to help to stop the upper arm dropping into the stroke before the strike.

If you can sight along the cue having your bridge arm bent and also have your cue arm near vertical at address then you can get away with standard length, but if you can't then a longer cue is a must IMO, and if you want one then pm me as I have a couple that could suit you.
                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Good point Vmax. Bridge arm is very important. Joe Davis was adamant that the bridge arm had to be straight. Frank Callen believed that you had to do what was most comfortable. I'm a bridge arm bent person.
                  PS for Sparks147. Watch the snooker today and see where/how Higgins and Williams hold their cues. Always worthwhile watching the pros and trying to pick up some tips. You find out that even the greatest of players aren't textbook. It's been mentioned in the last day or so that Higgins tip is quite far away from the cue ball when cuing up. Not normal but seems to suit him. Most folk have their tip very close to the cue ball.
                  Last edited by Bigmeek; 7 May 2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

https://youtu.be/-ihZh4DpG8k
                    This might help.

Comment

Working...
                    X