Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New cue - Does a 1/4" length make a difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cue - Does a 1/4" length make a difference?

Hello, I'm pretty new to snooker, from the USA, sorry if this is a dumb question.

My current stick is 58", but I just placed an order for a better cue at 58.25" with the idea that it won't make a huge difference in playability and any ferrule/tip drama repairs down the line will keep it closer to 58" length.

Questions are:
    Will I notice the 1/4" (Has anyone here played with both 58" and 58.25")?
    How often do ferrules get replaced and is this a legitimate worry?

Also am about 5'11" - would 58.25" be even better? Sadly am in US and can only imagine what it'll actually feel like.

Thanks!

Im leaning toward sticking with a 58", it's not too late to change the order. Please help me decide if I should!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvgwbpAOpcA

It's difficult to help without seeing you in person, but this is a good clip to start off with.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

According to this video, 58" cue leaves me fractionally over an inch of cue left behind with a straight armed bridge. Im assuming 58.25" would leave me 1.5-1.75 inches behind in the normal address position.

I suppose for the shots that require a little bit of reach, this isn't a bad thing?

Not to mention, I feel my shoulder flexibility may increase as I play the game more. A lot of fuss to be made over a quarter of an inch, I realize this.

Comment

I notice many pros around my height seem to stick with 58" even, however... though that may be a matter of them training entire lives with such a setup, I'd assume.

Comment

Originally Posted by k9nrad View Post
            Thanks for the reply.

According to this video, 58" cue leaves me fractionally over an inch of cue left behind with a straight armed bridge. Im assuming 58.25" would leave me 1.5-1.75 inches behind in the normal address position.

I suppose for the shots that require a little bit of reach, this isn't a bad thing?

Not to mention, I feel my shoulder flexibility may increase as I play the game more. A lot of fuss to be made over a quarter of an inch, I realize this.
            at 58", if your cue needs to be repaired in the future you still have an inch to work with. A lot of the cue doctors out there don't need to shorten your cue when changing ferrules, unless it is damaged beyond repair.
            You may notice a little difference at the start, but being human beings and the way we are, you will eventually adapt.

Comment

So what would your verdict be? Thanks for being attentive to the post, I know this subject has probably been beaten to death on this forum.

Comment

Originally Posted by k9nrad View Post
                So what would your verdict be? Thanks for being attentive to the post, I know this subject has probably been beaten to death on this forum.
                I would personally stick to 58' , an inch is plenty for future repairs.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Sent an update to change it, as I agree.

By the way, do cue makers typically measure from butt end to end of ferrule? If that were the case, the cue would end up being around 58-58.25 with tip anyway, wouldnt it?

Whereas if I ordered a length of 58.25", it may get into 58.25+ territory with tip on, which I think would be too long, if this is true.

Comment

From my experience it differs with cuemakers.
                    e.g.
                    JP's 57" = butt to top of the tip
                    Maximus + TW 57" = butt to top of the ferrule

Comment

Working...
                    X