Balls- what type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balls- what type?

Hi- I've bought a set of aramith (usual types seen FS) full size balls, but the fitter from BCE who came to visit re. some table work, grumbled at them. All we need is a decent set for say a club table, nothing more. Do these balls fit the bill, or are they not up to par even for a good club std table/ players, as the chap alluded to?

Backspin is the main criteria- ie do some balls backspin super well, others badly? or is backspin mainly due to cloth / surface quality/ condition? Or maybe solely technique.. Im sure Ive ruled this out as I can backspin on any old pool table, or club hall snooker table with any 1/2 decent cue, as any ofyou guys can/ do: but its very hard to on our village table for some reason & Im trying to determine why this is.

Thanks, SC

What was his exact moan ?

If they are Aramith 3G , there isn't an issue .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
      What was his exact moan ?

If they are Aramith 3G , there isn't an issue .
      The box will probably say "Tournament Champions", or they could be "Premier".
      Don't tend to say 3G on the boxes

Originally Posted by Sea Chief View Post
      I've bought a set of aramith
      Which Aramith model?
      Tournament Champions
      Premier
      Super Crystalates
      ?
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I got a set of Aramith Tournament Champion Superpro 1Gs for Christmas. They come in a silver case with also an advertising leaflet to Nic Barrow's Ultimate Training Ball...! I've already got that!

Looking forward to testing them down the club later this week! ...
        Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

Hi chaps- Ive no idea what type, the box just says aramith 2-1/16 snooker balls. Green box. Ubiquitous on ebay for £75 new or as I got them, £35 or so.

Comment

Hi chaps- Ive no idea what type, the box just says aramith 2-1/16 snooker balls. Green box. Ubiquitous on ebay for £75 new or as I got them, £35 or so.
            Green box is Aramith Premier. They are the light ones. NOT the ones used by the pros and serious snooker players.

Comment

Ok, so are they suitable for a club std table as it were? or are they total rubbish, or maybe compromised by their light weight, meaning backspin isn't easy or s'thing?

Comment

lightweight should make the cueball fly !
                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

One of the BCE guy's grumbles of these balls when he saw the green box was 'too light: heavier ones = better backspin'.

Now I thought the opposite (ie a light UK pool ball is p*ss easy to wangle around.. quite fun in fact) maybe like you then..

So is there no common opinion on this then I wonder-?

Comment

For some reason the Aramith Premier balls are lighter than their Tournament Champion balls even though it's supposed to be the same material. The lighter premiers IMO are sets put together from balls set aside in the production process that are deemed to be underweight and not fit for tournament play. As phenolic resin is a cold poured plastic material that sets hard due to a chemical reaction and not moulded when hot like other plastics it could be that the premier balls maybe have gas bubbles or other impurities in them, or the base materials weren't mixed properly. They do seem to chip more easily and react very badly in damp atmospheric conditions on cloths with a normal nap.

Get a good set of TC's or Aramith SC's (TC's in disguise) or better still if you can find an old set of original SC's in good condition they are the best balls of all.
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I've owned and played with both types. In my opinion the lighter "green box" type are more suited to the slower/heavier club cloths. The green box (Aramith Premier) type weigh in at around 128g and IMO are easier to screw back.
                      A few years ago I wrote to Saluc, who are the makers, and asked why they made these balls so light compared to the 142g TC balls. I didn't get a response.
                      Last edited by Bigmeek; 3 January 2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Aramith SC's.. so these are the same size (I must not, point 1, have anything even a mite bigger due to our tables' pockets being like gnats chuffs) but just a bit heavier-?

We do here have damp atmospheric conditions here, being west wales. Now the speed is ok now due to the big fkoff iron thing the size of a buick done its job, but even after the room is nice & warm say 2 hrs in.. there is no noticeable difference in the playing whatsoever.

Comment

all the Aramith snooker/billiard range are available in the full regulation size 52.5mm (2 1/16in)
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

We do here have damp atmospheric conditions here, being west wales. Now the speed is ok now due to the big fkoff iron thing the size of a buick done its job, but even after the room is nice & warm say 2 hrs in.. there is no noticeable difference in the playing whatsoever.
                            A dehumidifier to take the moisture out of the air would help a great deal, also warm the balls up on the radiator for 10 minutes before you play as cold balls attract condensation just like a cold mirror in a warm bathroom.
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                              I've owned and played with both types. In my opinion the lighter "green box" type are more suited to the slower/heavier club cloths. The green box (Aramith Premier) type weigh in at around 128g and IMO are easier to screw back.
                              A few years ago I wrote to Saluc, who are the makers, and asked why they made these balls so light compared to the 142g TC balls. I didn't get a response.
                              Then this tells me these balls -are- perfectly ok/ suited well enough for the 'club' quality table we have.. if not the best option as are cloth is undoubtedly the heavier slower type.

I was wondering before, if there was a 'super backspin' white -as it were- I could just buy whetehr it was the lightness/ heaviness/ material/ coating on it who knows what I was wondering. So I bought an aramith white & it seemed better than the bog std older one before.. but I could be wrong & its pretty much the same. It does seem a little 'grippier' on the cue thats for sure (hence thinking if coating= good backspin). Still don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X