Snooker in Australia - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker in Australia - Questions

Hi everyone, I have recently found a passion for snooker, but I am finding it having some difficulties due lack of accessibility to a table. I have an 8-foot English Style Table at home, and at my boarding school I will have full access to its full-size snooker table for the first time. I finish school in 6 months, however. I am very enthusiastic towards the game, and strive to improve. My questions are:

1. How can I continue to play snooker? The nearest club is at least 5 hours away, and even so I would not be able to afford the hourly rates.

2. Will there ever be a world-class tournament again in Australia? The Goldfield's Open in Bendigo hasn't been held for 3 years now, and that was long before I was introduced to the game of snooker. I would absolutely love to see the top professionals playing live.

Thanks for your time,
    Noel

Question to you - just how much are the hourly rates?

It is a shame that there is no pro event in Australia, not heard anything but I certainly hope that will be corrected soon (there is a promotor currently doing good things I believe in AU).

I did hear that Bendigo was probably not the best place for the event; to far away from major centers - just like when they did the Brazilian a few years ago, I believe it was held in a very exclusive and secluded resort, where a "normal" snooker fan probably could not afford to buy the ticket let alone the travel to the venue!

Great you have a table at home
    Your profile says you are in Leeton NSW - hopefully other AU TSF members can help you find a place closer
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I have seen clubs in Sydney that offer $18 AUD (10 GBP), and for a 17 year old without a job that's a fair amount

I hope that they do hold a pro event again in the next few years, in Sydney perhaps, as that is more central to everything. I have no idea why they chose Bendigo - of all places haha.

Leeton is quite remote, especially in terms of snooker.

Comment

Talking about Australian snooker on another thread...

It would be great to have another event in Australia but as you say it really needs to be in a big city. The famous venue back in the 60's and 70's was City Tattersalls in Sydney. Warren Simpson could usually be found there.

Comment

Originally Posted by Noelos237 View Post
          Hi everyone, I have recently found a passion for snooker, but I am finding it having some difficulties due lack of accessibility to a table. I have an 8-foot English Style Table at home, and at my boarding school I will have full access to its full-size snooker table for the first time. I finish school in 6 months, however. I am very enthusiastic towards the game, and strive to improve. My questions are:

1. How can I continue to play snooker? The nearest club is at least 5 hours away, and even so I would not be able to afford the hourly rates.

2. Will there ever be a world-class tournament again in Australia? The Goldfield's Open in Bendigo hasn't been held for 3 years now, and that was long before I was introduced to the game of snooker. I would absolutely love to see the top professionals playing live.

Thanks for your time,
          Noel
          Any opportunity of getting into an RSL? I used to do all my playing in those clubs, while working in Auss. Excellent value and conditions.
          Highest break to date? 1

Comment

I've been told that the RSL in my home town used to have multiple full-size tables, but have since sold them to private residences. I will have to do some investigating into the RSL clubs in other towns in my area.

Whereabouts were you located in Australia?

Comment

Originally Posted by Noelos237 View Post
              I've been told that the RSL in my home town used to have multiple full-size tables, but have since sold them to private residences. I will have to do some investigating into the RSL clubs in other towns in my area.
              Well that's the way to go. Far more RSL's likely than bespoke Billiard Halls. Food and drink was always excellent value too, not to mention, always receiving a friendly welcome.
              Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Working...
              X