Peter Hanley cue making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Hanley cue making

Came across these last night, some quite odd techniques from what we're used to seeing, seemingly using superglue to glue the splices on (possibly climate related??) a chisel to knock lumps off the splices (bet that's gone wrong more than once and taken the ebony clean off down to the shaft) and using a sander to get the splices "planed" down. Looks a lot like the way a lot of thai and asian made cues are done. They're in pretty random order and there's no part 5, just interesting to see another method.

Last edited by narl; 5 January 2018, 09:57 PM.

interesting indeed. although I imagined cue making to be more 'poetic' than what's on show here.

Comment

It does seem a bit "rough and ready" to say the least. What surprised me the most was the use of what looks like superglue, and him using a chisel to knock chunks off the ebony.
      Last edited by narl; 5 January 2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Seen these before..... Whatever works I suppose but the not the way I'd want to do it.

Comment

Looks pretty good to me.

Comment

nothing wrong with that at all, except perhaps a mini router in the toolstock and slower rpm on the lathe, no need for the chisel then

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
              Looks pretty good to me.
              Did you never think of doing a workshop Andy to pass on your skills to keep us Scottish guys up on cue making skills
              Current playing cue Trevor White
              3/4 ash cue

Comment

Nice thought Stevie though they have done rather well without my input.

Comment

Nice thought Stevie though they have done rather well without my input.
                  Well a supsose they have
                  Current playing cue Trevor White
                  3/4 ash cue

Comment

Looks pretty good to me.
                    Any pros or cons to using superglue for splicing the butt together?

Comment

I have used superglue in guitar finish restoration, as it gives a good hard finish, and mixed with dust, makes a good small gap filler which is sandable. I don't know what the glue is which cue makers go to, but if it is PVA, it isnt as sandable.

Comment

I think he was maybe using it to speed things up as he had an audience but I have used it without any problems but it has to be quality super glue.

Comment

I think he was maybe using it to speed things up as he had an audience but I have used it without any problems but it has to be quality super glue.
                          Possible it was just for demo purposes, though i have heard of people in Australia receiving cues made in the uk and the cues getting issues with splices lifting. Just thought that maybe superglue was possibly more suited to stop this happening with the climate they have.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                            i have heard of people in Australia receiving cues made in the uk and the cues getting issues with splices lifting.
                            Not heard this.

Is that a one off or quite a regular thing?
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                              Possible it was just for demo purposes, though i have heard of people in Australia receiving cues made in the uk and the cues getting issues with splices lifting. Just thought that maybe superglue was possibly more suited to stop this happening with the climate they have.
                              Sending a cue over there, I would be using a D4 PVA glue, waterproof, as it should deal with the heat changes better.
                              Not sure I would use superglue myself as it's very hard but like it's been said.
                              You wouldn't use a cheap one anyway, plus I could see it being a cheap way to glue them!
                              For that one you've always wanted...
                              https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Working...
                              X