Rubber tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber tips?

I don't play so this is purely asked out of curiosity, but has there ever been any real experimentation with rubber tips? I can't believe that in this day and age, a rubber composite could not be produced, that has the same properties as the traditional leather tips, and of course the biggest benefit would be no chalking required.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

There was a rubber tip attachment that was brought out to do masse shots, http://www.twistertip.com/index.html Not seen anything other than that really.

Comment

There was the "Griptip" which was a rubber based chalkless tip, they're awful though, good for masse shots but useless for regular shots

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
        There was a rubber tip attachment that was brought out to do masse shots, http://www.twistertip.com/index.html Not seen anything other than that really.
        Is this legal to use in competitive match play? I imagine it would be quite useful in getting out of snookers but never seen anyone use it...

Comment

Originally Posted by cpserrao View Post
          Is this legal to use in competitive match play? I imagine it would be quite useful in getting out of snookers but never seen anyone use it...
          Yes it was passed for competitive play but never seen it being used

Comment

Doesn't really surprise me, snooker players are notorious for their reluctance in trying new things out. That has changed somewhat with the way players go through cues, years ago it used to be standard mantra that a player stuck with a single cue, these days that's not the case. Even trump is being sent a cue from maximus to try out which they posted on facebook today.

Comment

Doesn't really surprise me, snooker players are notorious for their reluctance in trying new things out. That has changed somewhat with the way players go through cues, years ago it used to be standard mantra that a player stuck with a single cue, these days that's not the case. Even trump is being sent a cue from maximus to try out which they posted on facebook today.
              How often does a snooker player ever play a masse shot though?

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                How often does a snooker player ever play a masse shot though?
                Not that often but sometimes its a better alternative than playing off cushions. Playing a masse shot isn't that easy with a regular tip, this attachment makes it a lot easier.

Comment

I read about some rubber tips a few years back. Apparently they miscued more often when using spin. So much so that the maker recommended scuffing and chalking them, which pretty much took away their USP

Comment

I'd forgotten I'd asked this question. So they are out there, but largely disregarded.

Thanks, folks.
                    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                      I read about some rubber tips a few years back. Apparently they miscued more often when using spin. So much so that the maker recommended scuffing and chalking them, which pretty much took away their USP
                      The grip tip I tried was hopeless, feel was terrible and you couldn't play with any kind of spin without miscuing, other than masse shots, try even the most basic screw shot and you'll jump the white.

Comment

Working...
                      X