Choosing the line of aim before going down on the shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing the line of aim before going down on the shot

I remember I read a while ago that the correct technique is to choose the line of aim before you take the shot, place your right foot on the line of aim then don't adjust the line of aim while down on the shot. Despite reading that, what I have been doing is adjusting the line of aim while down on the shot. I have just been trying to the former method, not adjusting when down on the shot and it seems to work a lot better. I'm choosing the line of aim naturally while stood up then not adjusting when down. It's actually a lot more relaxing way to play, and I'm playing quicker too, without fretting. I hope that makes sense, any thoughts on this? Thanks

This explains it a bit better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSZbeZgDrc

Comment

I probably haven't explained it that well but it's just something that occured to me. I think before I was getting down on the shot on the right line of aim and then second guessing myself. Does that make sense, what do other people do? Do you determine the line of aim while stood up and then don't adjust that when down on the shot? I think I remember reading that you shouldn't adjust the line of aim when down on the shot and if you think it's wrong then stand up again and start your shot routine again.

Comment

Locating the true shot line is crucial but putting your cue on that shot line even more important. One of the chief reasons for ams missing is that they put the cue on a different shot line to the one they say a few feet back or the one they put their anchor foot on. This even happens to the pros but the commentators will make muppet excuses about the cloth, cushions, pockets or humidity and kicks a lot of the time when it was simply that the player messed up the shot line.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
          Locating the true shot line is crucial but putting your cue on that shot line even more important. One of the chief reasons for ams missing is that they put the cue on a different shot line to the one they say a few feet back or the one they put their anchor foot on. This even happens to the pros but the commentators will make muppet excuses about the cloth, cushions, pockets or humidity and kicks a lot of the time when it was simply that the player messed up the shot line.
          Agree.

I find myself having to consciously put hand and elbow on the line everytime, otherwise I would tend to second guess myself when I'm down on the table.

Aside from lean forward and dropping head straight down, is there any other technique to help putting hand or cue on the line?

Thanks,

-Thunder

Comment

A pool player friend of mine addresses the shot line like suggested, but when still standing up he puts his cue on the line holding the butt and laying the tip on the cloth near the cue ball. Then when the cue is already in place, he bends down to the shot. This way he has put the cue to the shot line first, so it wouldn't change when bending down.

Don't know if it's recommended, but it works for him.

Comment

Stand behind the shot - select the line - fix your head on the OB - walk in with no sideways movement - drop cue down from above with bridge - put chin and chest on the cue.

If it looks like you're on the line, start your cueing arm...

If not, get up and begin the pre shot routine all over again.

The hard part is... once you're down, it's all too easy to stay down even if it's wrong... Be vigilant

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                Stand behind the shot - select the line - fix your head on the OB - walk in with no sideways movement - drop cue down from above with bridge - put chin and chest on the cue.

If it looks like you're on the line, start your cueing arm...

If not, get up and begin the pre shot routine all over again.

The hard part is... once you're down, it's all too easy to stay down even if it's wrong... Be vigilant
                Thanks for that, by fix your head on the object ball do you mean fix your eyes on the object ball as you get down to play the shot?

Comment

I have a problem that don't know if it also happens to others. I would sometimes hesitate on the position of my hand on the table. I would sometimes adjust it after putting down but I find the pro never done that.

Comment

Thanks for that, by fix your head on the object ball do you mean fix your eyes on the object ball as you get down to play the shot?
                    Yes

The idea of the action is that you can replicate it... To borrow a term from Nic Barrow 'set it and forget it'

If your head position at the pre shot stage is something that you can fold into your technique... Then why wouldn't you?
                    After all, you're trying to get everything to a point that can be repeated no matter the shot type.

I have a problem that don't know if it also happens to others. I would sometimes hesitate on the position of my hand on the table. I would sometimes adjust it after putting down but I find the pro never done that.
                    Everyone who has ever picked up a cue makes similar mistakes, no matter the level they are at... The discipline comes in when you recognise this, forcing yourself to stand up on the shot and reset...

We are human though and most of the time, we get in our own way at giving ourselves the very best chance to succeed.

Comment

Yes

The idea of the action is that you can replicate it... To borrow a term from Nic Barrow 'set it and forget it'

If your head position at the pre shot stage is something that you can fold into your technique... Then why wouldn't you?
                      After all, you're trying to get everything to a point that can be repeated no matter the shot type.

Everyone who has ever picked up a cue makes similar mistakes, no matter the level they are at... The discipline comes in when you recognise this, forcing yourself to stand up on the shot and reset...

We are human though and most of the time, we get in our own way at giving ourselves the very best chance to succeed.
                      Thank you pottr for your advice.

Comment

Yes

Thanks, I think where I have been going wrong is looking at the cue ball as I address the shot. I've been looking at the object ball, judging the line of aim then looking at the cue ball as I address the shot.

Comment

You will find that you don't even need to look at the cue ball until you start cueing.

Comment

Great thread btw.

I've just been experiencing similar situation to jamesg and have also started stopping the small adjustments I used to make on a shot once I was down on it and do appear to be potting more balls.

Hendry made a very interesting point in commentary towards the end of the U.K. which I picked up on, where he said something like 'changing the type of shot i was playing once I was down on the shot made me miss more balls than any other thing.'

Comment

You will find that you don't even need to look at the cue ball until you start cueing.
                              Recently I just found it is TRUE. And it makes a lot difference....

Comment

Working...
                              X