cueing or dominant eye problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cueing or dominant eye problem

Not sure if its my chest causing the problem, but i think the reason i miss is bcaz i am not cueing straight enough, but i can see that as my hand grip hits the chest the cue moves to the left ( i am right handed player )
    checked my alignment and its fine, my stance, grip, elbow all perfect but i still miss heaps. saw my coach many times and he cant detect why i am not improving, saw another coach last month and he said my technique is perfect.

at this point i am hopless, not sure whats really causing the problem, the last thing i would think is dominant eye, bcaz when i hit most of the shots goes else where which surprises me, as i can clearly see that i have cued straight enough.

please do check these 2 videos, sorry about the quality or bad angles
    thank you , please do share your thoughts/suggestions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_geWhvkbtI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_69hZeTp4M

You are dropping your elbow before the strike which brings the shoulder muscle into the shot and you cue starts going left. In addition your elbow isn't high enough in the address position plus you feather a little too much, which gives more time for things to go wrong.

Try concentrating on keeping your elbow up as high as possible and KEEPING IT THERE DURING THE BACKSWING AND DELIVERY. Now in a really long backswing with the ferrule coming back to the 'V' of your bridge you have to drop the elbow slightly to keep the cue on the same plane. Also, it's fine to drop the elbow at the end of the delivery when you extend the follow-through but that elbow drop has to happen AFTER the strike, not during or before.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      You are dropping your elbow before the strike which brings the shoulder muscle into the shot and you cue starts going left. In addition your elbow isn't high enough in the address position plus you feather a little too much, which gives more time for things to go wrong.

Try concentrating on keeping your elbow up as high as possible and KEEPING IT THERE DURING THE BACKSWING AND DELIVERY. Now in a really long backswing with the ferrule coming back to the 'V' of your bridge you have to drop the elbow slightly to keep the cue on the same plane. Also, it's fine to drop the elbow at the end of the delivery when you extend the follow-through but that elbow drop has to happen AFTER the strike, not during or before.
      yeah you are right, i do drop my elbow, however i wasnt sure if its really after the shot. as soon as i pull the cue forward the elbow drops too, so its like they both the cue and elbow moves together.
      i tried to hold my shoulder as still as possible but i tent to get more timing with shoulder or elbow drops.

so do you think this is why i keep missing ? i mean i play some great shots but i always fail to make consistent breaks
      any exercise ? tnx

Comment

Hi there. I have sent you a PM
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
          I'm interested in this, can you share?
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
            I will do yes. He hasn't replied to my PM actually. I wanted to show him a couple of pictures and problems with his technique. I will post them up on here if he gets back to me and he's interested.

Comment

thank you, i replied

Comment

I will do yes. He hasn't replied to my PM actually. I wanted to show him a couple of pictures and problems with his technique. I will post them up on here if he gets back to me and he's interested.
                forgot to mention here, that i had two major back disk surgeries 2 years ago, and i had to change few techniques, eg: my elbow isnt as high as it used to be, and i dont turn my hip at all, and my leg is not very straight too.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post

thank you, today i tried to maintain my elbow even after delivery, like neil robertson or like ding etc, however i didnt see any major changes. but your comment helped me with something else that i found out today

i noticed that when getting down i bring the chest to the cue, however only the last 1 inch or so, i tent to bring the cue to the chest which makes it offline. can you rewatch the video and tell if i am bringing the cue to the chest, as i am very suspecious of this and maybe thats why i always think that i go offline once i am down, or the object goes elsewhere.
                  its not too much but i think few mm or cm is enough to make the cue offline

by the way, you are on my coach's friendlist, i think you know him

Comment

he hasnt mentioned anything yet, what are u interested in ?

Comment

Your hand goes off to the right (your right) after delivery of the cue and I sometimes have a tendency to do this and was trying to work out why.

I have already shortened up the backswing (as Terry said) and was getting through the ball better. I video'd it last Sunday and was trying to get my head round if it was set-up, technique or the fact that I get the occasional twitch or yips (yes both at times!!).

I too think my elbow isn't high enough.
                      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

snookarm1.jpg

The image above is taken JUST BEFORE you start your backswing.

When you are at your final address BEFORE you start your backswing, your grip hand is quite some way forward.

This means that when you actually deliver the cue, you have only got a tiny amount of room before your grip hand hits your chest. This is also why, in order to get any follow through at all, you're having to drop your elbow, and even then, you haven't got a lot. Because you don't move your hips out of the way much in your stance, you're hitting your chest with the grip hand very early in the delivery, and steering round out of the way.

So, move your hand back as shown in the picture, so that it's pointing roughly straight down. This means, get down as normal, and then keep everything the same, but shuffle that grip hand back a bit. This will give you much more room to strike the white and follow through, before you hit your chest.

It will probably feel strange at first because you're changing your timing a bit, but because your grip hand is so far forward, I would definitely sort this problem, as it will be causing a lot of your cueing problems.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Your hand goes off to the right (your right) after delivery of the cue and I sometimes have a tendency to do this and was trying to work out why.

I have already shortened up the backswing (as Terry said) and was getting through the ball better. I video'd it last Sunday and was trying to get my head round if it was set-up, technique or the fact that I get the occasional twitch or yips (yes both at times!!).

I too think my elbow isn't high enough.
                          i tried all the positions on chest, above nipple, below however it does happen, the only position would be right in the middle of your two chests , but that is akward and not a good idea. the other thing if you stand like a boxer it will also effect the cue on chest position too. but didnt have an improvement for me.

today i tried the elbow to be as high as possible but it doesnt help me but even ruin it, caz i dont feel comfortable at all. but i found out one thing new, that even though i'd been thinking that i bring the chest to the cue, but today i realized that when the cue and the chest is about 1 inch close, i tend to move the cue and bring it to the chest, about few mm or cm, but its enough to make it offline

Comment

[ATTACH]19003[/ATTACH]

The image above is taken JUST BEFORE you start your backswing.

When you are at your final address BEFORE you start your backswing, your grip hand is quite some way forward.

This means that when you actually deliver the cue, you have only got a tiny amount of room before your grip hand hits your chest. This is also why, in order to get any follow through at all, you're having to drop your elbow, and even then, you haven't got a lot. Because you don't move your hips out of the way much in your stance, you're hitting your chest with the grip hand very early in the delivery, and steering round out of the way.

So, move your hand back as shown in the picture, so that it's pointing roughly straight down. This means, get down as normal, and then keep everything the same, but shuffle that grip hand back a bit. This will give you much more room to strike the white and follow through, before you hit your chest.

It will probably feel strange at first because you're changing your timing a bit, but because your grip hand is so far forward, I would definitely sort this problem, as it will be causing a lot of your cueing problems.

Hope that helps.
                            i did this video very quickly just for this forum, however my hand is even further back, that once my coach told me that in address position you have already started your backswing, maybe its just a bad video caz i am leaning to the table. normally i hvae plenty of room , but yeah i cannot twist my heap at all after my back surgeries

Comment

Ha! Ok. You're ok then. Good luck mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X