Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A catalogue from 1908

王可

I see the 12 foot was £52, I wonder what that equates to in todays money?

today they go for anywhere between 5-12K

Comment

Billiard paddle 01.jpg

I have one of those billiard score paddles

Thanks for posting the catalogue

I just noticed the UNSW logo too.
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

I am pleased that I have created a bit of interest. I don't post very much these days.

On the cost of things- in "The Copper Beeches", Sherlock Holmes talks about how a governess- a resident teacher- would work for £40 a year. So those tables are not cheap!
        王可

Comment

What is on the cover? Pic maybe?
          My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

It is from a reproduction of an "Army & Navy Stores Co-operative Society" catalogue from 1908. It sold almost anything thatw as then available. It is published under the name "Yesterdays Shopping" and is well worth finding.

It was a large store in London with a mail order catalogue as well and supplied stuff to embers of the forces, civil servide etc. Of course in 1908 they were all over the world- Hong Kong, India, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Ireland etc. etc. If you wanted a snooker table, or a grand piano, or a revolver you simply selected what you wanted, paid and it was sent to you.
            王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
              I am pleased that I have created a bit of interest. I don't post very much these days.

On the cost of things- in "The Copper Beeches", Sherlock Holmes talks about how a governess- a resident teacher- would work for £40 a year. So those tables are not cheap!
              that seems about right, because a top quality new table today would cost around an average persons yearly salary

Comment

If you compare, say, a good quality sidelock shotgun, a snooker table and a Bechstein concert grand piano I think prices are about the same relative to each other and the actual items are probably not significantly different now from what they were in 1908!
                王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                  If you compare, say, a good quality sidelock shotgun, a snooker table and a Bechstein concert grand piano I think prices are about the same relative to each other and the actual items are probably not significantly different now from what they were in 1908!
                  Anyone want to swap a snooker table for a Bechstein concert grand piano?

Comment

I wouldn't swop mine for a table. Then again I wouldn't swop my table for a piano either. I am very happy with both.
                    王可

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                      that seems about right, because a top quality new table today would cost around an average persons yearly salary
                      How much is a table nowadays?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        How much is a table nowadays?
                        well if you take an antique one they can cost anywhere upto 5-12k

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                          well if you take an antique one they can cost anywhere upto 5-12k
                          So no where near a year's salary then as you stated,?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            So no where near a year's salary then as you stated,?
                            for some it is

Comment

Thanks for sharing that. Its interesting to see the
                              quality of merchandise that was made that long ago.
                              The prices as you say are comparable in relation to
                              todays prices I would imagine.

Comment

Working...
                              X