Table cloth selection..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table cloth selection..

Hi guys, i've got a question regarding snooker table's cloth.
    Hainsworth and Strachan, which is better?
    I need your comments, thanks!
    Will those snookies im playing with ever stop calling me a 'ONE-pointer for a day!

well strachan are used for all amatuer and professianal tournaments... so i believe them to be 'better'
    Billiards is very similar to snooker.... except there are only 3 balls and no body watches it. :snooker:

Comment

I dontt know the answer to this
      But I use Strachan and I like it

Comment

From a fitters point of view they are both the same in ease of stretching cloths on , the Hainsworth Smart has a percentage of man made fibres , the Strachan Tournement is 100% wool .
        Feedback from local players to me that play in OUR LOCAL leagues , they prefer the Smart .

When ironing Hainsworth smart the iron has to be a shade on the lower setting . number 8 setting on a dowsing Iron , or sticking burn marks apear on a over heated Iron , the Strachan tournament place on the hottest setting number 9 on a dowsing Iron .

These two cloths are the most popular used within the Trade .

More expensive cloths in the same brand are Hainsworth match and Strachan Number 10
        Most prefer the Number 10 as used on most Profesional tournaments .
        But my local club prefers the Hainsworth Match, with not a table in the place having any Strachan Cloths fitted on the tables , the same applies to its sister club 30 mile away .
        Two differant sets of players , but both prefering the Hainsworth brand .
        THEY say the roll is much better for speed and accuracy , the 100% wool nap of the Strachan cloth tending to slow the ball down ?

Myself I am not too fussed which Brand I fit as long as it is upto the job and we get no comebacks or moaning , I find it is best to fit both types of cloth to two tables within the same club and ask the players which they prefer , the Hainsworth smart with its 10% man made fibre mix is supposed to last a bit longer and is more durable , thats the MAKER'S claim , I find they both wear about the same .

on another note , did you know that Hainsworth also sell Woolen coffins , yes its true you can now go the Green way in a Woollen coffin , a choice some Snooker players may choose ? made from bio degradable cardboard covered in pure new wool .

so there you have it you pays youre money and take youre choice .
        Last edited by Geoff Large; 16 March 2010, 01:04 AM.
        [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
          From a fitters point of view they are both the same in ease of stretching cloths on , the Hainsworth Smart has a percentage of man made fibres , the Strachan Tournement is 100% wool .
          Feedback from local players to me that play in OUR LOCAL leagues , they prefer the Smart .

When ironing Hainsworth smart the iron has to be a shade on the lower setting . number 8 setting on a dowsing Iron , or sticking burn marks apear on a over heated Iron , the Strachan tournament place on the hottest setting number 9 on a dowsing Iron .

These two cloths are the most popular used within the Trade .

More expensive cloths in the same brand are Hainsworth match and Strachan Number 10
          Most prefer the Number 10 as used on most Profesional tournaments .
          But my local club prefers the Hainsworth Match, with not a table in the place having any Strachan Cloths fitted on the tables , the same applies to its sister club 30 mile away .
          Two differant sets of players , but both prefering the Hainsworth brand .
          THEY say the roll is much better for speed and accuracy , the 100% wool nap of the Strachan cloth tending to slow the ball down ?

Myself I am not too fussed which Brand I fit as long as it is upto the job and we get no comebacks or moaning , I find it is best to fit both types of cloth to two tables within the same club and ask the players which they prefer , the Hainsworth smart with its 10% man made fibre mix is supposed to last a bit longer and is more durable , thats the MAKER'S claim , I find they both wear about the same .

on another note , did you know that Hainsworth also sell Woolen coffins , yes its true you can now go the Green way in a Woollen coffin , a choice some Snooker players may choose ? made from bio degradable cardboard covered in pure new wool .

so there you have it you pays youre money and take youre choice .
          Hi Geoff Large, i really appreciate your detailed explainations and i know which cloth to choose now. I'll fixed my decision on Hainsworth max then.
          Thanks!
          Will those snookies im playing with ever stop calling me a 'ONE-pointer for a day!

Comment

Originally Posted by 147harry View Post
            well strachan are used for all amatuer and professianal tournaments... so i believe them to be 'better'

Hi harry147, i do believe so as i've seen too many a time in youtube snooker tables bearing the word strachan.
            However, my friend is carrying Hainsworth cloth so i'll try it out first and see how it goes, too bad then.
            Thanks harry!

Comment

Originally Posted by abhi147 View Post
              I dontt know the answer to this
              But I use Strachan and I like it
              OIC.. so in india which is more expensive?

Comment

I play regularly on both and I find the Hainsworth more responsive. Needs more ironing though or the fingerprints won't come out and it slows down.

Comment

Originally Posted by northerner View Post
                  I play regularly on both and I find the Hainsworth more responsive. Needs more ironing though or the fingerprints won't come out and it slows down.
                  Hi northerner, thanks for the comment. More ironing as in how often to do it then?

Comment

Originally Posted by wannabenumb View Post
                    Hi northerner, thanks for the comment. More ironing as in how often to do it then?
                    Every 10 hours of use is the recomended period between ironing .
                    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

My table has Hainsworth Smart cloth fitted and is the fastest table I have ever played on. I have had to adjust my playing style to accomodate the speed of the cloth, but I much prefer this to previous tables with Strachan cloth.

Russ

Comment

My home full size table has a Riley 88 cloth fitted and it's perfect. used to have Strachan 6811 cloth but for the long term i prefer the Riley.
                        Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

I use Hainsworth currently and will go for it next time too.

Comment

Originally Posted by Asi View Post
                            My home full size table has a Riley 88 cloth fitted and it's perfect. used to have Strachan 6811 cloth but for the long term i prefer the Riley.
                            I think it's safe to assume that Riley don't actually manufacturer their own cloth, does anyone know who makes their cloth for them?
                            I'm thinking it is probably Strachan or Hainsworth anyway?

Russ

Comment

Hainsworth for me too. The strachans are nice when new but after about 2 months they lose a lot of the responsiveness. Both cloths are about the same speed I'd say but definitely the Hainsworth will last longer and perform better for longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X