My first Woods cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Woods cue

Hello everyone, this is my first post. At age 60, I decided to play snooker again after 40y - used to be good.
    So, went with Woods for my first cue after unsuccessfully getting one from an Aliexpress vendor (wasted 3+weeks)
    I decided to go with this model : https://www.woodscues.com/collection...ker-pool-cue-3
    I really liked the colour, it came with 2 extensions and case as option. Well this is what I got... The colour is nowhere near the one on the site. Take a look at the video and tel me what you think; Will the shaft get worst in the long run? Having said that, the cue does play well. I will contact Woodscues but need some feedback before I do... Thanks.

the photos on their site are library photos showing the splicing and general designs and not the actual cue you will get.
    If they don't already, they should really have a disclaimer somewhere stating that the cue sent wont be that shown in the images.

good luck with your renewed love of the game
    Last edited by DeanH; 12 March 2019, 07:38 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

There is also a difference in the two definitions of photo quality. One is higher than the other, so a it would be a little harsh for any of us to comment on the colour. As D stated, images on the site are catalogue pictures.

Just enjoy your regained love for the game!
      "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
      National Snooker Expo
      25-27 October 2019
      http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Daniel, are you saying the shaft is bent?

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
          Daniel, are you saying the shaft is bent?
          Yes, but is it a "bad" bent(?) is the question. The bent is in the thicker part of the shaft. So maybe it doesn't matter...
          Video filmed w/o the butt.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            good luck with your renewed love of the game
            Thanks Dean

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
            Just enjoy your regained love for the game!
            Thanks LW

Comment

You need to establish whether the wobble on the roll is because the taper has been skewed when taking the width of the shaft down, or whether the cue is bent (probably because it was rushed without resting the wood to dry it out). Once you know this a cue maker can let you know whether it can be fixed or should be returned.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                You need to establish whether the wobble on the roll is because the taper has been skewed when taking the width of the shaft down, or whether the cue is bent (probably because it was rushed without resting the wood to dry it out). Once you know this a cue maker can let you know whether it can be fixed or should be returned.
                Think I read somewhere that "rolling" doesn't tell you if there's a bend or not. Correct way is too look down the length of the shaft.

Comment

Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
                  Yes, but is it a "bad" bent(?) is the question. The bent is in the thicker part of the shaft. So maybe it doesn't matter...
                  Video filmed w/o the butt.
                  It could be the joint hasn't been fitted exactly in the centre of the shaft/butt; sight down the cue from the tip end to check this, rolling on the table won't show it as there could also be a second bend that makes it roll straight.
                  I recently refurbished a cue for a forum member that had this issue and re-fitted the joint so it's not a terminal problem.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Well, I wrote them with my observations about the cue and the reply was the expected : blablabla "light difference in colour" and blablabla "temperature / humidity; It was straight when we shipped it" and "Sorry for the inconvenience" response. The usual 'we have your money, now we don't give a *' response... Conclusion? I will never recommend or buy from them again. Having said that, YMMV...

Comment

I am recently back to cue sports, and brand new to snooker. I purchased a Woods cue set recently and had a generally good experience. I purchased this one:
                      https://www.woodscues.com/products/3...-pool-cue-7500

I ordered it on March 2 this year. I received it, shipped directly from China to the U.S., 10 days later. Pretty good so far.

Upon unpacking it I found one of the latch strikers had fallen off the case, due to the screw holes being stripped. Not enough of a defect to return it, I just applied some gel cyanoacrylate adhesive to the screw holes and gently drove the screws home. It's fine now.

The cue is beautiful, in my opinion, and I received exactly the cue shown in the pictures on the web site. I know this by comparing unique grain features in the wood of the shaft and butt. Note that in my case the web page says "I've taken pictures and measure it , so you know exactly what you're getting."

The shaft is as straight as I can detect. I though it was a bit dry, so I applied some teak oil and buffed it out with a cotton cloth. (I just happened to have the teak oil handy, as I was re-oiling my teak kitchen table and chairs. I don't know exactly what is is, I suspect it's just linseed oil and kerosene.)

I think it's a super value, at $109 plus $13 shipping (US dollars). I would buy from them again, but I would make sure the item pictured is the one I'm to receive.

Comment

Working...
                      X