What is the best coaching book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best coaching book?

I am thinking about buying the "Just One Frame" coaching book, does anyone have any experience with this or would they recommend something else. As an indication of my current ability (or lack of) my highest break is a massive 30 which I made before missing a sitter of a pink.
    “There are a lot of good players capable of winning the title but as long as I’m still in it they’ve got a headache.” Stephen Hendry

Yes, it's a good book, but you can get better, have a look at www.thesnookergym.com

Comment

in these days of the internet, you could say that coaching books are becoming a little redundant. Its much easier to learn by watching action rather than reading a book or looking at still pics.

The Terry Griffiths coaching series on youtube is very good, and the most complete guide i have seen so far, from the basics upwards.... But theres loads on there, ray reardon, steve davis, ronnie all done coaching guides of varying usefulness.....

If i did have to recommend some coaching books though i would go for steve davis's succesfull snooker and Jimmy Whites masterclass both published in the eighties.
      Last edited by dannyd0g; 13 October 2008, 03:12 PM.
      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

i prefer frank callans snooker clinic book, getting quite rare now.
        he goes into depth basic techniques and drills pros use when moving into a shot.

steve davis successful snooker another good book, basics and opinions on match play etc

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I will check out you-tube, never even thought of that!
          “There are a lot of good players capable of winning the title but as long as I’m still in it they’ve got a headache.” Stephen Hendry

Comment

I read "just one frame" and most other books mentioned here.
            for me, "just one..." was the most helpful as its written from an amateur pov and you really can relate to the tips and hints. very recommended
            Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

I have read successful snooker by steve davis (my favourite book), jimmy white's snooker masterclass, and spencer on snooker. cant tell you how much ive improved reading these books. of course many hours of practise i had to put into it.

ive seen on youtube the terry griffiths http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGYPZGrDO8
              steve daivs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JxEFj2-aw
              ray reardon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m20ixHp-VZw
              Matchroom Series (new on youtube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-LNOPzJv1w
              and my favourite - JACK KARNEHM - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v2dQfwYIAw

these are tremendously useful as guides, although i believe you need a partner who could tell you where you go wrong on things you cant determine easily by yourself like if your right arm is in line with the shot, body movement and so on.
              If you can find a partner serious enough to study this material and practise it with you then you are very lucky. i wish i had one.

Good luck!

Comment

Recently found a copy of Joe Davis' "How I Play Snooker", if it's any good I'll let you know.

Comment

i think the first of two books would be Steve Davis's-succesfull snooker, (quite old now)
                  but can be found in public library's,
                  the second one, Clive Everton - snooker & billards.

Dvd or video, is probably the best way to go though,
                  i have a bundle of coaching video's by Terry Griffiths/Steve Davis & others, which i lend to players to watch at home, so they can work on their technique both on or away from the table, before their next session with me.
                  don't miss!

Comment

Try www.foul4academy.info.

It's the web site of PJ Nolan.

PJ is currently the Irish National Coach and has spent 5 years in Qatar as there National Coach and coaches a couple of current professionals such as Vincent Muldoon and Aditya Metha.

There is a lot of free material available to look through.

Comment

Originally Posted by grunthos View Post
                      Recently found a copy of Joe Davis' "How I Play Snooker", if it's any good I'll let you know.

great book alot of tips on technique and tactics in match play.
                      joes technique not used very much nowadays tho but he made many tons using it.

Comment

For me it has to be the Frank Callen book, the bible for any snooker player...

Comment

Does anyone have the Frank Callen book in pdf file ?

Comment

Originally Posted by allc.snooker View Post
                            Does anyone have the Frank Callen book in pdf file ?
                            I haven't seen it anywhere, the print form is out of print unfortunately.

It may be in a library somewhere.

Regards,

bongo

Comment

Try Amozon books theres alway a few for sale on there..

Comment

Working...
                              X