No announcement yet.

looking at cue tip instead of cue ball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking at cue tip instead of cue ball?

Hey, so i have trying so many things lately just to figure out whats stopping me from making anything more than 25+ at any given time. The highest break i've had so far was 42 in about 5 years of on and off playing. So while practicing today, i noticed something different.

I was kinda tired of a birthday party last night and my back was aching, so i wasn't really going down on the shot (which i dont usually do). After a couple of shots, I realized that i could actually find the angles, or atleast where my cue ball is gonna strike IF i am looking at the tip of my cue. Its kinda hard to explain but bear with me here. So for about next 50 shots, i just played full top spin shots cueing at the very top of the cue ball while getting really down on the table. It actually made it easier to concentrate on the cue instead of cue ball and i could see the shots better.

Now I am not sure if its one of those things that seem exciting at first but then just die down after a couple of days or is this real? Here are the 2 ways (before and after).

1. Getting down on the shot and looking from the cueball to object ball (before)
    2. Getting down on the shot and look from the cue tip to the object ball (now).

The second option makes it easier for me for angled shots. Let me know your thoughts please!

My thoughts..?
    If the balls go into the pocket, don't question logic or technique. Just accept it.
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

I used to do the same and would be looking at my tip as I strike the cueball but I think the preferable technique is to be looking at the exact point on the cueball you want to hit when you strike. While feathering you can flick your eyes between the tip and the cueball but it should be on the cueball during the pause before striking.

I don't know if other pros do it but Hendy would also look at the pocket so he would be flicking his eyes between cue tip, contact point on cueball and the pocket he was going for while feathering. It could make him look odd sometimes and as if he was looking at the camera while down on the shot but he said it helped him with accuracy and in his book Masterclass he says it's crucial to be looking at the desired contact point on cueball when striking.
      www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

I thought you are supposed to be looking at the object ball (not cueball)

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          I thought you are supposed to be looking at the object ball (not cueball)
          Sorry you are right and that's what I meant so I'm an idiot. The idea being that if you're looking at the contact point on the object ball there is more chance of it going where you want it to than if you're looking at the cueball.
          www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Yep i thought you meant that really

Comment

Object ball when you strike. at some stage during the final backswing and back pause you flick your eyes from the intended point on the cueball back up to the object ball that's the textbook method and will largely impact your timing and correct delivery of the cue.

Comment

I find that if i look at the object ball i miss more due to lifting my head in anticipation to where the red or colour is going.i have found to pot more and put less unwanted side and also on the other flip of coin if using side get the desired effect when i look at the cue ball where striking and the part of the white where i want to hit ?

Comment

Hendry said he looked at the pockets. I thought in Joe Davis's book How I Play Snooker he advised against this. When I aim now I aim off the pocket depending how much power I am using: Like in Snooker Secrets to adjust for the throw of the balls...
                  Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

Working...
                  X