• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovely Crispian Jones certificate cue

I need some money
    UK only
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263567683831
    Last edited by jrc750; 24 March 2018, 05:06 PM. Reason: New link added

Just as well you mentioned the balance point at 18, if it had been a few mm above that you might have missed out on a sale.

Comment

Lol, best to give all info up front then no back and forth with questions. Apart from the usual "will you swap with my cue which is polar apart in specs"

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        Lol, best to give all info up front then no back and forth with questions. Apart from the usual "will you swap with my cue which is polar apart in specs"

I have honestly never bought or ordered a cue with a balance point in mind, nor did i even know it was a "thing" til i started to post here. You'd think the first thing people would do with a cue would be to play a shot with it? Nope, apparently the thing to do is stand looking like a grade A tit trying to precariously balance it on the end of one of your fingers. Because obviously what works for one cue in terms of a "balance point" will work for them all, right? God, tyre kickers do my nut. I couldn't even tell you the balance point of my wooldridge cue, or my paragon, the only reason i know what it is on the TW is it was mentioned in the thread of the original owner, here: http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ost-here/page2

/rant over

Comment

I can see where you're coming from narl, but I find that it's a different experience and expectation when you buy a cue after trialling it versus buying online. When you can hold the cue and play some shots, then you don't need to focus on the specs - they almost don't really matter. But when you're buying blind, then that's all you have apart from aesthetics, so I can sort of understand why people get fussy, especially as some buyers, not yourself obviously, are liberal with the dimensions.

Good luck selling the Tyrone. I would have snapped it up if it were a bit heavier, especially as I quite like a 17.5-18 inch balance point

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
            I have honestly never bought or ordered a cue with a balance point in mind, nor did i even know it was a "thing" til i started to post here. You'd think the first thing people would do with a cue would be to play a shot with it? Nope, apparently the thing to do is stand looking like a grade A tit trying to precariously balance it on the end of one of your fingers. Because obviously what works for one cue in terms of a "balance point" will work for them all, right? God, tyre kickers do my nut. I couldn't even tell you the balance point of my wooldridge cue, or my paragon, the only reason i know what it is on the TW is it was mentioned in the thread of the original owner, here: http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ost-here/page2

/rant over
            Sense at last.

Comment

Good luck JRC.

Comment

Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
                I can see where you're coming from narl, but I find that it's a different experience and expectation when you buy a cue after trialling it versus buying online. When you can hold the cue and play some shots, then you don't need to focus on the specs - they almost don't really matter. But when you're buying blind, then that's all you have apart from aesthetics, so I can sort of understand why people get fussy, especially as some buyers, not yourself obviously, are liberal with the dimensions.

Good luck selling the Tyrone. I would have snapped it up if it were a bit heavier, especially as I quite like a 17.5-18 inch balance point
                Problem is the vast majority of us do buy blind unless we happen to live near a cue store or are buying off a person in the club. Anyone that puts in an order for a cue is buying blind. Some specs do matter like length, weight and tip-size, you could also argue the taper of the shaft matters as some will find it too thick or thin, but balance point is just another thing that people get fussy about despite it being different if the cues a one piece, a 3/4 or one with a longer butt.

What works for a 17" ebony butt one piece cue might feel incredibly weird on a 22" butt ebony 3/4 cue. Yet some are adamant that it NEEDS to be at a certain inch position for them to be happy with it, regardless of it being 1 piece or 3/4.

Its just another tyre kicker spec that people get fussy about for no reason, its probably better to put your trust in the cuemaker to have the cue "balanced" properly, after all its not their first rodeo

Comment

...... its probably better to put your trust in the cuemaker to have the cue "balanced" properly, after all its not their first rodeo
                  Trouble is now and again you get a cue with a balance point at 15" and they are absolutely terrible to play with (imo), so by asking for what you know works for you it's just a way of eliminating possible disappointments.

Comment

Trouble is now and again you get a cue with a balance point at 15" and they are absolutely terrible to play with (imo), so by asking for what you know works for you it's just a way of eliminating possible disappointments.
                    I agree with this

Comment

Problem is the vast majority of us do buy blind unless we happen to live near a cue store or are buying off a person in the club. Anyone that puts in an order for a cue is buying blind. Some specs do matter like length, weight and tip-size, you could also argue the taper of the shaft matters as some will find it too thick or thin, but balance point is just another thing that people get fussy about despite it being different if the cues a one piece, a 3/4 or one with a longer butt.

What works for a 17" ebony butt one piece cue might feel incredibly weird on a 22" butt ebony 3/4 cue. Yet some are adamant that it NEEDS to be at a certain inch position for them to be happy with it, regardless of it being 1 piece or 3/4.

Its just another tyre kicker spec that people get fussy about for no reason, its probably better to put your trust in the cuemaker to have the cue "balanced" properly, after all its not their first rodeo
                      Agreed, particularly with your point on trusting the cue maker, but muppets have such odd requests and some cuemakers would prefer to make a profit then respect the piece of wood and produce a quality piece of cuemanship of correct specifications that sometimes you just don't know what you might get, hence JRCs point which I also agree with.

That's why I like Andy Hunter - he's not interested in making cues for people of just any specifications - he'll make the best cue he thinks he can from the piece of wood he's holding - down to taper, tip size, weight/balance and butt width. Old fashioned but principled.

As a side point, I do think weight and balance point go hand-in-hand. You could vary one or the other to a degree and have an almost similar feel so a very poorly balanced cue can feel very different. Just my thoughts.

Comment

I left Reg to do whatever with my balance point, specified nothing. I'm pretty sure even without specifying, 100 times out of 100 you wouldn't get 15" BP.

How many people could try a bunch of cues without looking at specs/measurements and then eventually settle for something to match what they believe to be their specs? Personally I believe very few people would. People are spec crazy now and in this game where so much is mental, it can't be healthy for all those additional things to play on your mind.

Comment

Originally Posted by qc2 View Post
                          I left Reg to do whatever with my balance point, specified nothing. I'm pretty sure even without specifying, 100 times out of 100 you wouldn't get 15" BP.

How many people could try a bunch of cues without looking at specs/measurements and then eventually settle for something to match what they believe to be their specs? Personally I believe very few people would. People are spec crazy now and in this game where so much is mental, it can't be healthy for all those additional things to play on your mind.
                          Very true, and I think I'm guilty of this having bought a load of cues recently in the search for "the one"

Comment

Still for sale at reduced price
                            Here is new link
                            https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263552879355

Comment

Still for sale at reduced price
                              Here is new link
                              https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263552879355
                              What you replacing it with is big question pall
                              Current playing cue Trevor White
                              3/4 ash cue

Comment

Working...
                              X