Smallest tip for snooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallest tip for snooker?

I'm a pool player and have been using 7.5mm, just paid for my first Parris which will be 8.5mm and I wondered if any of you use 8.5 for snooker or is it a big mistake?

M

Smallest tip for snooker?

I used to use my old cue for pool and then snooker, it was 8.2mm and I thought it was ok. then I bought a new cue at 9.5mm and my game went up and up
    the bigger balls and a small tip don't really mix unless you have a very straight cue action.
    Shaun Murphy used to have a sub-9mm tip until that cue broke he now has a tip over 9mm. I personally think he plays better with it, but he does have a sweet cue action.... do you? :biggrin:
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Sweet cue action HaHa nope I don’t, like I say Pool is fine snooker is very occasional and wondered if I could get away with same cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        I used to use my old cue for pool and then snooker, it was 8.2mm and I thought it was ok. then I bought a new cue at 9.5mm and my game went up and up
        the bigger balls and a small tip don't really mix unless you have a very straight cue action.
        Shaun Murphy used to have a sub-9mm tip until that cue broke he now has a tip over 9mm. I personally think he plays better with it, but he does have a sweet cue action.... do you? :biggrin:
        Murphy's old cue was 8.75mm and he had his Parris made to the same tip size but then had it altered to go up to 9mm.

Comment

I have used a variety from 9.7 to as low as 8.5mm but 9.3mm is best for me i have found.

9.5mm was that tad to big for me and i did come from an Aussie Pool playing background but once i went to 9.3mm i was set and will never go back, it suits me perfectly but everyone is different but it can be an expensive exercise to keep buying different Cues to try out etc!

9.3mm is the perfect size IMO.
          If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

If your mainly a pool player and want to play snooker occasionally then 8.5mm tip is fine to play with mate.
            VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
            Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
            Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
            Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

If you've just paid for a Parris cue then I guess you're taking snooker seriously. In which case I'd say a 8.5mm tip is too small. Get a cue with a standard 9.5mm tip.

Comment

If you've only just paid for it then I guess it's not too late to change the specs. My mate I used to play with had a 8.5mm tip but couldn't get on with it for snooker. He got a cue with a 9.5mm tip and found that better.

Comment

I seen Tony dragos playing cue back in the 90's when he played in my local club against some of our better players..his tip size was 7mm.
                  Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

John Spencer used to play with a 6mm tip.
                    :snooker:

"You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

Comment

Graham Dott won world champs using 8.5mm tip.
                      VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                      Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                      Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                      Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

The players mentioned are world class though. Surely a beginner should have a tip that is around standard diameter.

Comment

Working...
                        X