Snooker after a foul Q?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker after a foul Q?

Just looking at the rules regarding being snookered after a foul given that it's cropped up a couple of times in our games (normally we don't bother replacing balls if it's been a miss as well but either get the offender to play again or the non-offender has a free ball). Came across this and realised I have no idea what this rule means!

12. Snookered After a Foul
    After a foul, if the cue-ball is snookered (see Section 2, Rule 17), the referee
    shall state FREE BALL.
    (a) If the player next in turn elects to play the next stroke:
    (i) he may nominate any ball as the ball on, but a free ball cannot be the ball on

Would some kind soul be able to enlighten me please?

A red can't be a free ball as it is the ball on, (assuming reds are on the table).

It's just legalese....

Comment

Also does it mean that you have to hit your nominated free ball first, ie if you say Green as a free ball (taking the place of a red) you can't hit a red first as that would be a foul

Comment

Originally Posted by weepete View Post
        After a foul, if the cue-ball is snookered (see Section 2, Rule 17), the referee
        shall state FREE BALL.
        So both players and audience know that this is an option for the non-offending player.

This is the non-offending player ("next player") who has the usual options after a foul (1) play themselves from where the balls come to rest, or ask the offending player to play, etc. - this statement means the first part (1).

(i) he may nominate any ball as the ball on, but a free ball cannot be the ball on
        The non-offending player has decided to play themselves, they now also have the option to play a Free ball, this free ball can be any other ball - the words "other than the ball on" has been added to this rule in 2014 so as to make it clear that the ball on can not be nominated as a Free Ball. Seems plain as day and obvious but these words were added as some people where calling the ball on as Free Ball (dont ask me why) and causing confusion, even though they were snookered on it.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

That stuff will be elsewhere, I guess as it hasn't got to actually playing a shot just defining a Free Ball?

Can we go back to the first obstruction and the cushion not being responsible for a snooker? )

Comment

@Dean: a snooker means whole of ball, so it may be potable etc. It could be related to the FB having to be nominated, but not the ball on.....

Comment

haha, thanks Dean. I was reading it like the nominated ball coundn't be on but that would defeat the purpose!

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                @Dean: a snooker means whole of ball, so it may be potable etc. It could be related to the FB having to be nominated, but not the ball on.....
                No.
                Snooker is defined in the rules (sec 2.17)
                "The cue ball is said to be snookered when a direct stroke in a straight line to every ball on is wholly or partially obstructed by a ball or balls not on. If one or more balls on can be struck at both extreme edges free of obstruction by any ball not on, the cue ball is not snookered."

The cue ball is snookered on the Ball On (not free ball).
                The free ball can also be snookered and you can nominate it if you so wish (say a ball not on hanging over a pocket and you play indirectly (off a cushion) to pot it and continue your turn)

see the following thread that explains the do you have a Free ball and the linked following thread "what you can do with a free ball"

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...f-you-have-one

Comment

haha, thanks Dean. I was reading it like the nominated ball couldn't be on but that would defeat the purpose!

gotcha
                  The nominated free ball becomes the ball on and of same value as the original ball on for purposes of score and penalty, for the one stroke.

Comment

Doh, a missing doesn't in there...

Comment

Would some kind soul be able to enlighten me please?
                      I'm assuming it's the last part that is causing confusion. This was introduced relatively recently to clarify a particular scenario. If all the reds have been potted and yellow is the ball on, say, and Player A comes to the table with a free ball, this rule now makes it clear that he cannot nominate yellow as free ball and then expect it to be spotted and potted again as the next ball in sequence. If he pots the yellow on his first shot then he's doing that as the next colour in sequence, and it would stay down, and green would become the ball on. Obviously that could be of particular relevance to a player coming to the table 28 points down with just the colours let!
                      Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
                        I'm assuming it's the last part that is causing confusion. This was introduced relatively recently to clarify a particular scenario. If all the reds have been potted and yellow is the ball on, say, and Player A comes to the table with a free ball, this rule now makes it clear that he cannot nominate yellow as free ball and then expect it to be spotted and potted again as the next ball in sequence. If he pots the yellow on his first shot then he's doing that as the next colour in sequence, and it would stay down, and green would become the ball on. Obviously that could be of particular relevance to a player coming to the table 28 points down with just the colours let!
                        I think you got it dead on. Tricky way of saying it, but I see it now that it is explained. Cheers
                        I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                        X