Internet internonsense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet internonsense

I was just looking up something snooker related on the internet. I came across one forum which answers questions. The question posed was how much is a snooker table. The guru answered that it depended on size. Doubtless correct. They come in varying sizes, also correct. 2 sizes quoted were 20' x 10' and 16' x 8'.
    王可

LOL!
    where was this?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I didn't take a note of the site. It was from India. Just google "How much is a snooker table" and you will get it. Prices are in lakhs of rupees.
      王可

Comment

https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-...ker-table-cost
        王可

Comment

ah ha, nope did not see that one thanks
          search results are different for different people due to their search history and preferences and the algorithms within

found this site on the 5th page of my search, don't normally go that far
          Last edited by DeanH; 11 February 2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

They did do two over sized tables that went to South america i think it is in the history books mentioned somewhere a 14ft table by 7ft ? 100 upper may know more .

it may be mentioned in the book a trade history by J R Mitchell

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billiards-S.../dp/0950742201

the problem with over sized tables is who would make the extra wide cloth to fit a slate wider than 6ft 1.5 inch , cloith is supplied 6ft 6 inch wide

it is obvious though that the guy giving those variants of size knows nothing about tables , but is simply going on the basis that the length of a table is also going to be halved to work out the width
            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

from the A Trade History book:
              The dimensions of a full-sized billiard table were always stated to be 12ft. by 6ft. White and
              Kentfield in their books (published 1807 and 1S39 respectively) both say that a full-size table
              was "approximately or generally 12 feet by 6 feet, the width being always half the length".

Tables above the normal size were also made by Thurston on several occasions. On 24th
              January, 1S25, a table shipped to Buenos Aires was described as "a very superior 14 feet
              mahogany Billiard Table- the bed 2 inches in thickness" . On 1st April, 1S39, two tables were
              sent to Mexico, each measuring 15ft. by 6ft. Sin. On 17th February, IS41, two more tables of
              the same dimensions were sent to the same customer in Mexico. All these tables were, of
              course, fitted with wood beds. There is no recorded explanation of these unusual sizes.

Comment

further reading in this book reminded me of the following, not related really to the post but maybe this is the source of the confused story of the Ye Olde Ash coming from submerged wood

In 1772 H.M. Man-of-War "Royal George" capsized off Spithead with the loss of about 800 lives. After many years the vessel was raised and Thurston acquired a quantity of ship's oak which had lain under the water for about 40 years. From this he made a number of full-size billiard tables and they were sold to private customers, including Queen Victoria who had one erected at Windsor Castle in 1S3S. This table remained at Windsor until1936. It was exhibited at the Exhibition of Billiard Antiquities at Thurston's in 1940, but unfortunately was destroyed with other billiard table antiquities and old records when Thurston's premises in Leicester Square were destroyed by enemy action.
                A very fine inlaid table (9ft. , 6in. by 4ft. 9in. playing surface, 11ft. 3in. by 6ft. 6in. overall) was presented by Napoleon Ill of France to Alexander II, Czar of Russia, as a coronation gift in 1S55. The cushions of this table were made up with 20 layers of felt. The table was removed from the Imperial Palace, St. Petersburg (Leningrad) at the time of the Revolution but was subsequently destroyed by enemy action at Leicester Square.
                A table also made from the old timbers of the "Royal George" can still be seen at the Marquis of Exeter's home at Burghley House, Stamford, Lincs. The cushions were later renewed with "Eureka" steel block cushions by Burroughes and Watts.
                Altogether about 25 tables were made from the oak of this ill-fated warship.

Comment

DeanH that mentions oak and Thurston, but Ye Olde Ash is erm Ash and Burroughs & Watts, and Newcastle involved I think. So maybe similar idea not sure if it's the same story confused together or not though

Comment

I know that, I mean that the myth of the ash being from a sunken ship being confused with this true story.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      I know that, I mean that the myth of the ash being from a sunken ship being confused with this true story.
                      Ohh is the Ye thing a myth then ?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        Ohh is the Ye thing a myth then ?
                        don't you start

Comment

I remember seeing an oversized table in an antique shop in Hungerford about 25 years ago. It was at least a foot wider, and it may be in my head but I think it was a little lower.
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                          X