Grip - harder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grip - harder

I’ve just seen the biggest move forward in my game ever.

I’ve always had an issue with straight cueing.

I’ve faithfully followed the advice of a light grip.

I noticed my cue is often not straight through the ball and it almost feels like the ball hits the cue offline.

So I tightened up grip through impact and you would not believe the difference it made.

The pots at distance I was making was insane. Didn’t beat high break on line up but I have virtually no misses. I lost the cue ball, that’s it.

Every attempt at a line up was minimum of 20 pretty much, no false starts. Usually I might make a 20 or a 30 in about 5 goes, missing a black often.

The ball feels more solid at impact and I can feel the acceleration thrusting the ball through.

Not sure why light grip is emphasised so much, I guess if it hinders your fingers opening but boy does getting a bit tighter through the ball make a difference.

Cleared colours first attempt. Power is so much easier.

Absolutely thrilled - played this game for years but I feel a 50 is possible now.

Woohoo

whatever works for you keep at it. had my first total clearance today of 122 haha

Comment

I've just done the opposite lighter grip and I'm potting much better.

I did a tighter grip and potted much better as well before, but my timing suffered and I couldn't get the action on the cue ball. I think the killer is if it moves at all as you strike the ball. There are no muscles in your hand, the muscles that move it are all in your forearm, so if they move the forearm will likely move as well.

If it works for you it's all good though

Comment

I think my grip and are were so soft I struggled to keep the cue on line. I still wouldn’t say my grip was tight, but it’s tight enough to keep it straight

Comment

Grip - harder

i too found having a tighter grip improved my game but the day i played on much faster table (star) i found it just didnt work...the thinner/faster the cloth the less grip required...

Comment

The grip needs to be 'loose but firm'. To use the example Steve Davis uses, the tightness of your grip can be checked by gripping the cue and then with the other hand see if it will slide easily through the grip hand without having to loosen the grip..
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              The grip needs to be 'loose but firm'. To use the example Steve Davis uses, the tightness of your grip can be checked by gripping the cue and then with the other hand see if it will slide easily through the grip hand without having to loosen the grip..
              Thanks, I was very “wobbly” before and my contact with OB was more thrown in to the centre but now I am going more “through” the ball in the centre. Hard to explain but loose but firm is useful,
              Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X