Do the pro's use a 1 Piece Cue or 3/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the pro's use a 1 Piece Cue or 3/4

I was discussing 1 piece cues with a club member the other day and he said, "Well none of the pro's use a 1 piece cue do they?"

I honestly couldn't say either way but it did make me wonder who still uses a 1 piece cue as a professional and is it because they get better feedback?
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

I can see from the Stamford Website and the TV that the following players use a 1 piece:

John Higgins, Ding Junhui and Mark Selby

Comment

Ronnie uses a one piece . Think Judd does as well .

From memory !!

Ali Carter
      Kurt Maflin
      Michael Georgiou
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
        Ronnie uses a one piece . Think Judd does as well .

From memory !!

Ali Carter
        Kurt Maflin
        Michael Georgiou
        Interesting, maybe the question should be, how many don't use a one piece cue?

Comment

Please correct me if I'm wrong but out of the current top 16 I think the players that use a 1 piece cue are:
          Selby, Higgins, Trump, Ding, Murphy, Bingham, Wembo(?), Carter, Wilson and Ronnie.

Which to my count makes 9 or 10 of the top 16

Comment

Originally Posted by dom979 View Post
            Please correct me if I'm wrong but out of the current top 16 I think the players that use a 1 piece cue are:
            Selby, Higgins, Trump, Ding, Murphy, Bingham, Wembo(?), Carter, Wilson and Ronnie.

Which to my count makes 9 or 10 of the top 16
            Well quite a few then and certainly more than none!

I wonder if they use them for feedback feeling you don't get that as well with a 3/4 cue?

Comment

from my observations:
              top 16
              1pc - 12
              3/4 - 4

top 32
              1pc - 18
              3/4 - 9
              no info - 5
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                Well quite a few then and certainly more than none!

I wonder if they use them for feedback feeling you don't get that as well with a 3/4 cue?
                That, imo is a load of overblown BS. Yes the shaft goes to the bottom of a 1 piece but by the time its there its tapered to tiny square surrounded by much thicker pieces of ebony which i would hink would dull any "feel" of the shaft significantly as Ebony is a hardwood encasing an ash softwood. I personally think all this "feel" stuff comparing 1 piece to 3/4 is more in people's heads than it is in reality.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                  That, imo is a load of overblown BS. Yes the shaft goes to the bottom of a 1 piece but by the time its there its tapered to tiny square surrounded by much thicker pieces of ebony which i would hink would dull any "feel" of the shaft significantly as Ebony is a hardwood encasing an ash softwood. I personally think all this "feel" stuff comparing 1 piece to 3/4 is more in people's heads than it is in reality.
                  ash is a hardwood

Comment

Deciduous trees- hardwood. Non deciduous trees -softwood.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I did put a question mark as I don't know why the majority of the top players prefer a one piece.

It would be interesting to know as I didn't realise so many didn't use a 3/4.
                      Last edited by Shockerz; 1 May 2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I personally think all this "feel" stuff comparing 1 piece to 3/4 is more in people's heads than it is in reality.
                        Me too, if you think one plays better than the other then it will but if you had to pick the two 3/4 cues out of a rack of say a dozen cues, could any of us really be able to tell the difference?

Comment

Among matches that I've watched on TV/Youtube, majority plays with a one piece cue. I remember that Marco Fu uses a 3/4.
                          The brass joints on the cues are pretty easy to spot on camera - if it isn't there, it's a one piece.

Comment

Originally Posted by ryanang68 View Post
                            Among matches that I've watched on TV/Youtube, majority plays with a one piece cue. I remember that Marco Fu uses a 3/4.
                            The brass joints on the cues are pretty easy to spot on camera - if it isn't there, it's a one piece.
                            Mark Allen now has a hidden joint 3/4. Looks like a 1 piece.

Comment

Originally Posted by Woody001 View Post
                              Originally Posted by ryanang68 View Post
                              Mark Allen now has a hidden joint 3/4. Looks like a 1 piece.
                              I think a few pros have these now and a pain to observe unless you see them putting together or taking apart
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X