Question About Weight Balance Of Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Weight Balance Of Cue

I have a 3/4 Snooker Craft Ace Cue which is not far off 19oz, the top half of the cue is very light and all the weight is in the bottom half of the cue that you screw onto the top half. Is this a good thing or a bad thing and what pros and cons are there with this kind of cue where the majority of the weight is at the bottom half of the cue? Any info or advice would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by dmorley85; 22 November 2016, 03:44 AM.

Hi,
    Your question made me stop halfway through typing ...
    My perception of my cue (Falcon/Raid 3/4 joint 9.8mm etc.) is that it is balanced at the joint. That's how it feels, and I love the feel of it. Before posting, I put it on my beloved's kitchen scale and found out that the butt weighs 11.4 oz and the shaft weighs 7 oz. Like I said, I love the feel of this cue for all weights of shots. When doing a gentle rollup, I grip it at the joint to make the cue feel lighter in my hand. No idea if that's a sound theory, but it works for me.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    Chris from Canada

Comment

I believe all cues will have a butt-sided balance point due to the taper of the wood. Cues are spliced with ebony to increase the weight of the cue on the butt side too.

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
        I have a 3/4 Snooker Craft Ace Cue which is not far off 19oz, the top half of the cue is very light and all the weight is in the bottom half of the cue that you screw onto the top half. Is this a good thing or a bad thing and what pros and cons are there with this kind of cue where the majority of the weight is at the bottom half of the cue? Any info or advice would be much appreciated.
        Do you like playing with the cue, does it feel right? If the answer is yes to both questions, then the weighting of your cue is fine.

Most pros play with a cue around 17-18oz. I personally find 19 a tad heavy. The position of the weight is quite important, not just the total weight of a cue. A lot of folk like me prefer the weight in a cue (if it has to have one) placed as high up the butt as possible so we get a balance point of maybe 18-19 inches. This tends to increase feel on the shot.

What's the BP of your cue and also the tip size, shaft wood?

Comment

In my opinion, a balance point of 17 to 17.25 inches feels neutral through the shot. Anything less makes the tip end feel light as the stroke finishes and anything more can be felt as forward balance as the stroke begins. I prefer a lighter weight cue though, typically 17.2 or 17.3 ounces. Always one piece ash with a plain dark ebony or Macassar butt. No unnecessary splicing.

Comment

Hi mate, I was wondering if anyone can help I currently have a cue of 56.5 length and the weight down to 16.8 ounces and a balance point of 17.25 and it felt ok until a few days ago after this change and the lead had come loose and started to rattle. So I want to add a little more weight to the cue but not much as I like a light cue as I tried a few before at 17.5 and upward and find them too heavy. So I wasn't sure what to do in terms of a good blend as I don't like butt heavy cue ? And had a previous balance point of 16.5/16.75

Comment

Working...
            X