Brown specks on ebony butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown specks on ebony butt

Got a new Maximus Immortal cue today from Greenbaize. The ebony butt seems to have a few little brown specks though? I'm not concerned about the aesthetics of it if that is normal, but I was under the impression that ebony should be uniformly black? I know Maximus are incredibly reputable cuemakers, and Stu at Greenbaize is an incredibly reputable seller, so I can't imagine the ebony description was false... Can someone weigh in?

Jet black ebony is getting harder to find apparently, it is quite normal to have some flecks of brown in it

Comment

I would be more concerned if it didn't have some brown in it.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Colour it in with a sharpee

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
          Lol yes as jet black might be painted on too.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
            I agree.
            No wood has one singular pure colour. Even the darkest of ebony will have streaks or specs.
            It's the finish applied that can make ebony look jet black...
            Some cue makers opt for staining which makes the wood look naturally jet black.

Personally I prefer the most natural look a piece of wood has to offer and the cue maker should seek to exploit the woods natural characteristics... Not hide them.
            "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
            National Snooker Expo
            25-27 October 2019
            http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

I can assure you it's normal to see some specks of colour in an Ebony butt or at least some wood grain if you look hard enough. If you can't then i'd be pretty certain that the butt would have either been stained black or it could mean it's been painted.

I like to remember when it comes to cues the fact you're using natural materials means imperfections exist, i think the lone wolf has hit the nail on the head with his last comment.

cue makers should seek to exploit the woods natural characteristics... Not hide them.
              Website Store: www.samleisure.co.uk
              eBay Store: www.ebay.co.uk/str/SAMLeisure/
              Instagram: www.instagram.com/sam.leisure/
              Facebook: www.facebook.com/samleisureuk

Comment

Originally Posted by cal View Post
                Got a new Maximus Immortal cue today from Greenbaize. The ebony butt seems to have a few little brown specks though? I'm not concerned about the aesthetics of it if that is normal, but I was under the impression that ebony should be uniformly black? I know Maximus are incredibly reputable cuemakers, and Stu at Greenbaize is an incredibly reputable seller, so I can't imagine the ebony description was false... Can someone weigh in?
                perfectly normal, i was drawn to my Maximus by these brown flecks in the ebony, made it look better to me.

[IMG][/IMG]
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I was told that only about 10% of ebony is jet black and I'd probably question that.

Some oils make the wood darker which helps but when I see every piece of ebony jet black on a range then I would raise an eyebrow.

When I buy cues in I like to know how they are constructed and what I'm buying is as I'm being told.

Here is a jet black ebony cue (it was neither): https://www.snookercrazy.com/fake-snooker-cues/

I think any grain, greying, brown flecks etc etc add to the cue being personal but that's just me.
                  Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                  Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                  Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                  X