Cowdroy claims Cuestars Gold Tour title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowdroy claims Cuestars Gold Tour title

BOURNEMOUTH’S teenage snooker ace Bradley Cowdroy never really expected much green-baize success in his GCSE year.

But the 16-year-old is now celebrating on three fronts.

Cowdroy has already earned a place in the final of the English Under-16 Championship. He faces Ryan Davies (Oldham) in Gloucester in June – during his exam period.

Then he won promotion to the EASB Premier Junior Tour, an elite circuit for the best 32 under-21s in the country, by finishing third on the Regional Junior Tour South.

And now he has clinched the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Gold Tour rankings title.

Reflecting on the campaign, Cowdroy said: “Overall, it’s been a fantastic season.

“I could never have foreseen winning Cuestars, going up to the Premier Tour and being in a national final with the busy school year I’ve had. I couldn’t really have had a better year.”

Cowdroy - who has won four of the ten Cuestars legs, in Waterlooville, London, Bournemouth and Swindon - took a 15-point lead into the final event that was sponsored by Pitman Training Southampton at Chandlers Ford Snooker Club.

He needed to qualify for the knockout if second-placed Aidan Murphy (Bristol) won the event, which he did.

A self-confessed slow starter, Cowdroy kicked off with the day’s highest break of 87 in the opening frame of his first match against Connor Benzey (Eastleigh).

After four matches, he hadn’t dropped a frame and had secured a place in the knockout and, with it, the rankings title.

Having achieved his target, he lost his last round-robin match 2-1 to Ryan Hughes (Chandler’s Ford) and went down 2-0 to Murphy in the last-four.

Cowdroy, who is based at Greenbaize Snooker Club, was delighted to have hit the ground running for once.

“I changed the record today, which was nice,” he said.

“If you can get off to a good start, it gives you confidence going into the rest of the day.

“I was expecting a bit of a nervy day. It was a 15-point lead but it wasn’t as if I just had to turn up. I had work still to do.

“To win my first four group matches 2-0 and the way I played helped me get over the line.”

For more information about Pitman Training Southampton, go to http://www.pitman-training.com/our-c...nd/southampton.

Two out of three ain’t bad

A YOUNG potter from Bristol secured the runner-up spot on a regional snooker circuit after a “not bad” season.

Aidan Murphy needed to win the tenth and final leg of the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Gold Tour and hope that rankings leader Bradley Cowdroy made a group-stage exit.

The 13-year-old achieved the first part but Cowdroy (Bournemouth) qualified for the knockout to clinch the title.

In a repeat of the eighth leg in Salisbury, Murphy beat Anthony Rice (Fordingbridge) 2-0 in the final of the event sponsored by Pitman Training Southampton at Chandlers Ford Snooker Club.

He said: “I played really well in the first frame but in the second frame it was really hot and my hands were sticky and I kept missing easy balls.”

Murphy, who lost to Rice in the group-stages, beat Cowdroy 2-0 in the last-four.

Only once this season has the youngster failed to qualify for the knockout. He has won two of his five finals and lost once in the semis and three times in the quarters.

Despite that consistent run, Murphy – who is sponsored by Elite Mobility, Hanham Flooring Centre and NH Couriers – said the eight-month campaign had had its “ups and downs” and had been “a bit good and a bit bad”.

Ryan Hughes (Chandlers Ford) was undefeated in his six-man group and went out 2-1 to Rice in the semis.

Cowdroy recorded the day’s highest break of 87 in the opening frame of his first match against Connor Benzey (Eastleigh).

For more information about Pitman Training Southampton, go to http://www.pitman-training.com/our-c...nd/southampton.

BREAKS

Bradley Cowdroy: 87, 70, 53, 52.
    Oliver Sykes: 80.
    Anthony Rice: 71, 42.
    Connor Benzey: 67, 64, 55, 54, 40.
    Jamie Wilson: 65.
    Aidan Murphy: 64, 43, 43, 41.
    Evan Plummer: 62, 47.
    Ryan Hughes: 61.
    Olly Gibbs: 44.

GOLD RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Ryan Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC); 2nd, Bradley Cowdroy (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 3rd, Connor Benzey (Chandlers Ford SC); 4th, Oliver Sykes (Chandlers Ford SC); 5th, Olly Gibbs (Chandlers Ford SC); 6th, Elliott Weston (Top Spot, Havant).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Aidan Murphy (Brislington & St Annes Conservative Club, Bristol); 2nd, Anthony Rice (Salisbury SC); 3rd, Jamie Wilson (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 4th, Evan Plummer (Frames, Coulsdon); 5th, Steven Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC).

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Rice 2-1 R Hughes, Murphy 2-0 Cowdroy.

FINAL (£55/£27.50, 25/18 points): Murphy 2-0 Rice.

Chloe makes Cuestars history

CHLOE White is the first girl to win a rankings title in the nine-year history of the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Tours.

The 16-year-old from Havant will be presented with the Silver Tour trophy by professional Billy Castle during finals day in Swindon on May 20.

White clinched top spot by reaching the final of the tenth and last leg at Chandlers Ford Snooker Club.

And the women's world number 26 then defeated Ally Pollard 2-0 to claim her second winner's trophy of the season in the event sponsored by Pitman Training Southampton.

It was the same score and the same opponent as in the eighth leg in Salisbury.

She said: “Everyone’s improving so it’s been very difficult.

“I had no expectations. But to actually win Silver, I’m over the moon.”

It means she will be promoted to the Gold Tour next season.

“I know it’s going to be difficult but I’m hoping it’s only going to improve my game,” she added.

“Playing better people usually helps so I’m looking forward to it.”

White, who is based at Waterlooville Sports Bar, thanked new coach Colin Norton.

Eight days previously, she won The Ladies Open run by the West of England Billiards & Snooker Foundation at the Plaza Snooker Club, Plymouth.

Kaine Petty (Fordingbridge) reached the last-four for the fifth time out of the eight events he has entered but was denied a first appearance in a final by White.

Pollard (Alderholt) was forced to complete the deciding frame of his semi-final victory over Riley Ellis (Clyffe Pypard, North Wilts), which went to the final black, with a cue borrowed from Anthony Rice (Fordingbridge) when his own tip flew off.

The 21-year-old, in his final ranking event, was competing in his fourth successive final. He collected his first winner’s trophy in the penultimate leg in Swindon last month.

BREAKS

Nat Kidner: 39.

SILVER RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Chloe White (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, Ally Pollard (Salisbury SC); 3rd, Shane Kearns (Jesters, Swindon); 4th, Callum White (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 5th, Nat Kidner (Greenbaize, Bournemouth).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Riley Ellis (147 SC, Swindon); 2nd, Kaine Petty (Salisbury SC); 3rd, Drew Hampshire (147 SC, Swindon); 4th, Keegan Reed (Salisbury SC).

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Chloe White 2-1 Petty, Pollard 2-1 Ellis.

FINAL (25/18 points): Chloe White 2-0 Pollard.

Ronnie in seventh heaven

CHIPSTEAD’S snooker wonderkid Ronnie Sullivan ended his victorious season on the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Bronze Tour with a seventh winner’s trophy.

The rankings champion beat nine-year-old O’Shay Scott (Eastleigh) 2-0 in the final of the tenth and last leg at Chandlers Ford Snooker Club.

But the 13-year-old was forced to battle back from 20 points behind on the colours in the second frame to deny first-time finalist Scott.

“I’m good under pressure,” explained Sullivan. “I just wait for my chance and take it when I get it.”

The talented Londoner compiled 12 breaks of 20 or more, including five in the 30s and his highest Cuestars break of 47, in his ten frames during the event sponsored by Pitman Training Southampton

“I made a couple of breaks and did OK,” he admitted in his usual understated way.

Sullivan heads to Swindon on May 20 in a bid to claim the rankings and championship double during finals day. And he will play professional Billy Castle in an exhibition frame.

“I’m looking forward to playing Billy and I’ll try to give him a run for his money,” he said.

Beaten semi-finalist Riccardo Drayton (Chandler’s Ford) secured the runner-up spot.

Louie Leighton was rewarded for making the long journey south from Basildon by beating his highest break twice.

He had a 36 in the group stages against Taylor Elliot (Swindon) and a 38 against Samuel Laxton (Portsmouth) in the quarter-finals.

This has been by far the strongest Bronze Tour in Cuestars history.

As an example of the ridiculously high standard, Laxton had a 35 break against Leighton and still lost the frame. Tough school!

And the top two in the rankings will become the first players to be promoted straight to Gold – missing out Silver entirely – something that has never happened before.

The 16 players returned 24 breaks of 20 or more, including nine in the 30s and two in the 40s.

BREAKS

Ronnie Sullivan: 47, 39, 35, 31, 30, 30, 29, 29, 24, 23, 22, 20.
    O’Shay Scott: 40, 22.
    Louie Leighton: 38, 36, 28, 21.
    Samuel Laxton: 35.
    Oliver Cooper: 30.
    Mason Wilson: 25, 22, 22.
    Riccardo Drayton: 24.

BRONZE RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, O’Shay Scott (Chandlers Ford SC); 2nd, Mason Wilson (Academy, Basingstoke); 3rd, Owen Jenkins (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 4th, Thomas McEvoy (Salisbury SC).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Riccardo Drayton (Chandlers Ford SC); 2nd, Samuel Laxton (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 3rd, Ben Crump (Stoke SC, Gosport); 4th, Oliver Cooper (Frames, Coulsdon).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Louie Leighton (Rileys, Benfleet); 2nd, Zak Truscott (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 3rd, Will Forster (Mayfair, Gosport); 4th, Taylor Elliott (147, Swindon).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP D: 1st, Ronnie Sullivan (Frames, Coulsdon); 2nd, Dean Russell (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 3rd, Jaydon Elliott (147 SC, Swindon); 4th, Thomas Sharp (Waterlooville Sports Bar).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Scott 2-0 Russell, Drayton 2-1 Truscott, Leighton 2-0 Laxton, Sullivan 2-1 Wilson.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Scott 2-1 Drayton, Sullivan 2-0 Leighton.

FINAL (25/18 points): Sullivan 2-0 Scott.

All-Gosport Plate final

TWO players from Gosport fought out the Plate final during the tenth and last legs of the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Gold, Silver and Bronze Tours at Chandlers Ford Snooker Club.

Ben Crump, who is based at Stoke Snooker Club, beat Will Forster, from Mayfair Snooker Club, in the final of the competition for non-qualifiers.

Both players had finished third in their respective Bronze round-robin groups in the event sponsored by Pitman Training Southampton.

Forster had compiled his first century break on the standard line-up during a midweek practice session.

PLATE RESULTS (ONE-FRAME MATCHES)

PRELIMS: Thomas McEvoy (Salisbury SC) beat Callum White (Waterlooville Sports Bar), Owen Jenkins (Waterlooville Sports Bar) beat Taylor Elliott (147 SC, Swindon), Keegan Reed (Salisbury SC) beat Steven Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC).

QUARTER-FINALS: Will Forster (Mayfair, Gosport) beat McEvoy, Reed beat Jenkins, Ben Crump (Stoke SC, Gosport) beat Jaydon Elliott (147 SC, Swindon), Thomas Sharp (Waterlooville Sports Bar) bye.

SEMI-FINALS: Forster beat Reed, Crump beat Sharp.

FINAL: Crump beat Forster.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)

For more information about Cuestars, go to cuestars.co.uk.
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X