Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips: Diamond Plus v's Wooldridge Supertip on a responsive shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips: Diamond Plus v's Wooldridge Supertip on a responsive shaft?

When I got my 1pc Welsh Pool cue it came with a Wooldridge Supertip. Eventually the tip needed replacing and I had nothing but a standard Blue Diamond spare so put that on. I didn't like it at all, felt dead and 'wooden'. My mate had some Blue Diamond 'Plus' tips so gave me one to try. I got on really well with it, played in the county trials and made it into the Sussex squad!

Recently I decided to change the tip again as the Diamond Plus had become a bit damaged around the edges so I decided to give the Wooldridge a go again. They are very responsive and grip the ball really well. Great tips. However, I have found they may be a bit too lively for my cue. My cue has a 9mm ferrule and a responsive shaft. Its not whippy but has just the right amount of flex for 8 ball pool, good power and minimal throw. When I had the Diamond Plus I could judge the throw really well when playing with side. With the Wooldridge its really difficult to get right. I found the Plus has pretty good 'feel' and was as good as the Supertip in that respect. The plus was responsive enough but not quite as responsive as the Supertip. I think the Plus suited my cue better while the Wooldridge tip made the cue overly responsive and too 'lively'.

So I'm going to give the Blue Diamond Plus another go and let you know how I get on. Please feel free to add your thoughts to this and share your experiences regarding what tips suit responsive shafts the best.

I really like the B D plus tips and found them great . The M W are also very nice and a lot of people on here seem to be using and swear by them . I always carry two cues ( why i dont know cause i cant use one ) but anyway i put the same tip on the two cue ( cant remember what tip it was ) but think it was a B D , on one cue that is a little stiffer it felt great and i used it for a while but on the other it did,nt feel the same at all and i pulled it straight off .

So i think certain tips will suit certain cues more than others .

Comment

Sounds like a cracking cue

Comment

I use MW Supertips and it's my preferred tip for UK 8 ball. Saying that I've had a batch recently that was harder than my previous and this was noticable as the responses were quite different!

Luckily, I managed to swap them with someone local who discards the softer MW tips in a pack which is what I prefer to use. Don't get me wrong they are not soft but softer than the hard ones but I guess there will always be some inconsistencies with pressed tips but a lot less with MW ones.

I tried Diamond plus once and thought they were just too soft for my liking. Should perhaps try another just to see if the one I had was a bad one vbut happy with the 'softer' MW's I have at present

Comment

Ye its a mast muck and is a real gem , the woods are beautiful and it feels lovely .

Comment

After going through 5 elks in a month i got some MW Supers off here and wont go back. I love a hard tip and they are great but can still get great action on the white.
            Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

B D plus take quite a while to knock in . They start really soft but once bedded they are a nice solid hit and keep their shape well . I would say they need adleast 15 hours to bed in and thats hitting the balls quite hard .

Comment

OK, this might sound sorta stupid but I've never heard of the BD Plus tips (although must admit I haven't used a BD in quite awhile)

Where would I be able to buy a few of them?

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Ebay Muck and their cheap .

Comment

ADR on here sells them also

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-BUFFALO-...item3a5aed1eb5

Some say they play like the Original Blue Diamonds of the old days unlike the current ones

Comment

I must admit the second Supertip felt quite hard compared with the one that came on the cue when I bought it. I just felt the second Supertip made the cues responsiveness a bit 'over the top' if that makes sense. I preferred the Diamond plus on the cue as it was responsive enough without being too lively, and had a nice feel to it. I was playing my best pool in years with that tip. I heard someone on here saying a while ago that harder tips suit whippier cues and softer tips suit stiffer cues.

The second Supertip seemed harder than the Diamond plus, but the Diamond plus wasn't exactly soft either.

Comment

Soz i forgot A D thas where i had mine from .

Comment

Originally Posted by safe t boy View Post
                          I must admit the second Supertip felt quite hard compared with the one that came on the cue when I bought it. I just felt the second Supertip made the cues responsiveness a bit 'over the top' if that makes sense. I preferred the Diamond plus on the cue as it was responsive enough without being too lively, and had a nice feel to it. I was playing my best pool in years with that tip. I heard someone on here saying a while ago that harder tips suit whippier cues and softer tips suit stiffer cues.

The second Supertip seemed harder than the Diamond plus, but the Diamond plus wasn't exactly soft either.
                          Yes it was me who said that muck , adleast that,s what i,ve found from my experience .

Comment

The MW tips are much harder than the BD plus. both are very good pressed tips though.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I guess my cue must be medium to stiff. I wouldn't say it was whippy but its not mega stiff either. First time I broke with it I was shocked how much power it produced. All my freinds who have used it love it to bits. Two of them play with expensive Parris cues but have asked to buy it from me lol! I will get some pics up in a bit.

Haven't tried an Elk on it yet so might give that a go at some point.

How do the Pro Granite compare to the Diamond Plus and Wooldridge tips?

Comment

Working...
                              X