Regional Junior Tour South kicks off with a ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional Junior Tour South kicks off with a ton

CONNOR Benzey is in pole position to earn promotion to the national under-21 circuit.

A notorious slow starter at the beginning of the season, the 16-year-old from Eastleigh hit the ground running in the first leg of the EASB Regional Junior Tour South.

The prolific century breaker, known as The Machine, fired in a 108 in the first frame of a 2-1 victory over Havant teenager Jamie Wilson in the final at Waterlooville Sports Bar.

Earlier, in the group stages, Benzey recorded breaks of 73, 71 and 45 as he overcame Riley Ellis (north Wilts) 2-0, Marcos Dayao (London) 2-0 and Wilson 2-1.

In fact, the only frames he dropped all day were against the 14-year-old.

Benzey, who has put in long hours on the practice table over the summer, beat Aristos Pampouris (London) 2-0 in the last-eight and his Chandlers Ford clubmate Ryan Hughes 2-0 in the semi-finals.

Subject to official confirmation, the top two in the rankings at the end of the six-leg circuit earn automatic promotion to the Premier Junior Tour, which is restricted to the top-32 under-21s in the country.

A total of 14 of the 18 players compete on the Cuestars circuit and six of them qualified for the knockout.

In the quarter-finals, Hughes (Chandler’s Ford) beat Jack Haley (Harlow) 2-1, Steven Hughes (no relation), and also from Chandler’s Ford, lost 2-1 to Wilson and Olly Gibbs (Gosport) overcame Adam Stacey (London) 2-1 before going out 2-0 to Wilson.

Players wishing to compete on the Regional Junior Tour must become EASB members and pay the entry fee for each event before a deadline which is usually a week before the event. Details at easb.co.uk. Any problems, email admin@easb.co.uk. He or she is extremely helpful.

The next leg is at Chandlers Ford Snooker Club on Sunday, November 25. Then the tour takes in Brighton, Newbury, Fareham and Coulsdon.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

I saw that break Tim and he took the balls very well making it look easy.

What I liked about watching him as he is really calm and just gets on with business so to speak.

Jamie is coming on as well. He was a little unlucky in the final as he potted the brown in the final frame and managed to go in off in the middle for the blue; Connor then cleared up.

Good to watch though.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Brilliant write up yet again, Tim.

I do always read these and should comment more. You're doing a great job!
      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Do enjoy reading these articles , excellent write ups .
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
          Brilliant write up yet again, Tim.

I do always read these and should comment more. You're doing a great job!
          The set up that Tim has is very good down this neck of the woods. He runs coaching/competitions for youngsters out of several clubs and it is very popular with many really decent youngsters coming through.

I went to the last competition and the standard is very high. This Sunday I am sponsoring an event near (Waterlooville) me so i'm i'm sure there will be some more decent breaks and great shot making from these up and coming youngsters.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
          X