Lloyd banks £500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lloyd banks £500

MARK Lloyd is £500 richer thanks in part to his local league teammate Pascal Richard.

The 19-year-old from Gosport has clinched the Cuestars Dafasnooker Championship Tour rankings title.

Second-placed Ryan Mears trailed by four points going into the eighth and last leg at Greenbaize Snooker Club, Bournemouth.

The title contenders were on a collision course to meet in a winner-takes-all final of the event sponsored by Snooker Hub but Lloyd was crowned champion when both made last-four exits.

Mears was beaten 2-0 by Richard who plays alongside Lloyd for Waterlooville Allstars, the Division 2 front-runners in the Portsmouth District Billiards & Snooker Association.

Lloyd, who lost 2-0 to tournament winner Sean Harvey, has finished runner-up twice and made three semi-final and three quarter-final exits this season.

The former national junior champion said: “I played consistently throughout the season. It’s just a shame I was never on my A game.

“It’s nice to play against players like Sean Harvey. There’s proper players in this. If you get results against them, it sets you in good stead for future tournaments.”

Lloyd insisted he wasn’t looking over his shoulder as the day’s drama unfolded.

“I came here to concentrate on my own game and let results take care of themselves,” he said.

But turning to Richard’s contribution, he added: “It was good of him. It’s nice to see him back playing.”

The Cuestars Championship for the top-32 ranked players, which carries a guaranteed £500 first prize for the winner, is at Waterlooville Sports Bar on Sunday, May 12.

For the latest news from the amateur game, visit www.snookerhub.co.uk.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X