Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping the cueball - Laminated Tip

Hey all
    I have mixed feelings today. I got my highest break of 59 (missed a tough black for 66 which would have been great) so i feel happy but I keep jumping the damn cueball on deep screw shots. Something I never normally do.....however, I recently put on a medium laminated Phoenix tip. Its a lot harder then I'm used to but I absolutely love the feel of it and the level of control it gives me. I just got a 59 for example which for me, is good. So, what am I doing wrong to jump the cueball so much? Its not happening on small screw shots or any other shot, but the follow through when it jumps is killing my cloth big time. Is this common for a laminated tip?

Appreciate any advice.....which I'm guessing will be "go back to a pressed tip!"
    Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Well done on your break , never been a lover of laminated tips . Found that the cue ball wouldn’t grip as much as a pressed tip .
    Currently using a Century tip , and very good it is to.
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I've ordered an ADR147 laminated tip as I hear nothing but amazing things about them. So will give that a go next. Not sure why I'm jumping the CB so much as I see really positive reviews here on the Black Phoenix medium tip.
      Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Comment

No tip will ever make a player jump the cue ball. You are simply not addressing the cue ball accurately and / or not following through correctly...
        "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
        National Snooker Expo
        25-27 October 2019
        http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Laminated tips perform best when used with a tip pick to soften the leather fibres. Unlike single layered tips that only require a little abrasive sanding...
          National Snooker Expo
          25-27 October 2019

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
            No tip will ever make a player jump the cue ball. You are simply not addressing the cue ball accurately and / or not following through correctly...
            Not sure I agree with this. I never jumped it before with a pressed tip. Plus if that's true what you say, what about all of the problems we saw with Taom V1 with the pros? I've never seen so many jumps and mis-cues and that was certainly the chalks fault and not the players. I had a better session last night after I rounded off the edges more and pricked the tip. It didn't jump once.

Comment

I find that some laminated tips need a bit more care with chalking. Dry, powdery chalk can just fall off, so I use an american pool chalk by Predator that stays on a bit better. I'm sure there are dozens of other chalks which are as good, but I got a couple of free tubes to try out and am still working through it. Seems to cuts out miscues, and stays on the tip for a good few shots. A tip pick should also help sort this out, as Lone Wolf suggests

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                I find that some laminated tips need a bit more care with chalking. Dry, powdery chalk can just fall off, so I use an american pool chalk by Predator that stays on a bit better. I'm sure there are dozens of other chalks which are as good, but I got a couple of free tubes to try out and am still working through it. Seems to cuts out miscues, and stays on the tip for a good few shots. A tip pick should also help sort this out, as Lone Wolf suggests
                Yes, I was using Super Cup but that was terrible. I went back to standard Triangle I(which I absolutely hate due to the mess it causes) and it's reduced it massively and as I say, after last night's session and reshaping and pricking the tip, I didn't get one jump. But, I can't continue with that messy chalk so back to the search!

Comment

Originally Posted by the_unrepentant View Post
                  Not sure I agree with this. I never jumped it before with a pressed tip. Plus if that's true what you say, what about all of the problems we saw with Taom V1 with the pros? I've never seen so many jumps and mis-cues and that was certainly the chalks fault and not the players. I had a better session last night after I rounded off the edges more and pricked the tip. It didn't jump once.
                  Yes - CHALK. NOT THE TIP!
                  Anyway - Hope you find a suitable tip to play with...
                  I use a Black Heart - never jumped a cue ball using either Triangle or Master chalk.
                  I like to keep it simple
                  National Snooker Expo
                  25-27 October 2019

Comment

I have found a suitable tip to play with. ADR147's medium laminated tip. WOW!! What a difference. Literally an instant increase in..well, everything! I'm honestly shocked how good it is. I've been way more consistent and managed to get my highest break with it too....in 24 hours!

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                      Well done on your break , never been a lover of laminated tips . Found that the cue ball wouldn’t grip as much as a pressed tip .
                      Currently using a Century tip , and very good it is to.
                      I felt the same way Neil, tried virtually every laminated tip but didn't seem to grip well. However, I've had a Cuesoul super soft on for about 2 months and I love it, don't think I'll be using any other brand from now on.

Comment

Working...
                      X