Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mastercraft vs Craftsman vs Woods vs O'min (china)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastercraft vs Craftsman vs Woods vs O'min (china)

Good day for everyone.

I'm newbie in this forum so please don't be angry if my question is a little bit strange. But believe me, before I wrote this thread, I was read this forum, other snooker forums, searched in google and finally my head is going to explode. So I decided to ask you guys to help me a little bit. In a short, I'm new in a snooker, but I extremely love snooker, I'm trying to spend all my free time near the table, but I'm tired of club cues and finally I'm ready to buy my personal cue.

Ofcourse I know that John Parris, Mike Wooldridge, Stamford and some others makes amazing cues. But at this time I'm not able to spend to spend 500-1500 Eur for this brands cues. So in the first time I was totally ready to buy a just not bad O'min cues from aliexpress. Which one, I'm sure is made in china. But still I heard that this cues a not bad for money they cost (around 150 Eur with case and extention). But than I I founds few intresting cue brands: Mastercraft, Craftsman and Woods. Standard cues from them cost around 200-250 Eur (without case but with personal specs. All cues from Ali are 57 inches). All reviews about this cue brand are good, especially about Mastercraft and Craftsman.

So my question is simple: Which one cue would you buy if you have for example 250 Eur? And if possible, why? Maybe someone have experience of using one or another of this brands?

a) Mastercraft (for example "Dictator" model http://www.mastercraft-cues.co.uk/index.php/2 )
    b) Craftsman (http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...sman-Cues.html )
    c) Woods (https://www.woodscues.com/collections/top-woods-cues )
    d)O'min (china) (for example Basic or Victory models (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...15b3e13cnjZiQJ) )
    e) Maybe you know some other good cue maker in that price range?

Other interesting questions:
    Which one of my mentioned cue makers makes best quality cues? For example which one makes better cues Mastercraft or Craftsman? Woods is a little bit cheaper than Mastercraft and Craftsman is that mean Woods cues are lower in quality? Are Mastercraft or Craftsman cues are competitive in quality with John Parris "parris collection" (cheapest) cues in quality? Coz maybe better add 100 Eur and buy cheapest JP? Or like often is, cheaper one and not so popular Mastercraft or Craftsman are making even better cues than some even more expensive cues from "elite" brands with good marketing? (I'm not talking about Ultimate cues form JP, anly about Parris colection cues).

It would be very important for me to hear your opinion or knowledge about some of this questions )) please help for newbie snooker player! ) thanks for everyone for help and attention!

All I can give is my personal view and one of a good friend.
    I had a Wooldridge cue built to my specification a few years ago, it was a great cue but for some reason couldn't get used to it, didn't play like my old cue. I decided to have a cue made from Mastercraft, and I have to say it is great. again same specs but went slightly longer as I was in two minds to go for a bit bigger tip so this was the best answer. Plays well looks good and the lads at Mastercraft make sure that your fully in the loop and always have answered mails (although don't work Fridays so don't expect answers back with in a day). To me it handles better than my Wooldridge.
    I then lent my Wooldridge cue to a mate I have known for a number of years when he had his prized Parris stolen from a local club near his work which he had a knock at lunchtimes (the b*****ds stole it when he nipped to loo, club manager said nothing showed up on any tapes??) anyway of subject........
    He too was wanting to make his mind up what maker to use as he was looking for another Parris Ultimate but was not going to wait anywhere close to that time. He then looked at waiting time and cost of a Wooldridge to his specs time wasn't that bad but on the price was high, I then lent him my Mastercraft for a few weeks which he liked but specs out for him. He eventually made the plunge and ordered a cue to his specs from Mastercraft close to £1000 less that Wooldridge for exactly same specs. (I know there could be different quality of woods used)??
    He has now the cue just over two months wait and his actual words where he feels like the extension to his arm is back. Playing well with it and very happy he took my advise. He doesn't see any noticeable difference between his old Parris and new Mastercraft as far as playability but a fraction of the cost.
    Please note this is only a point of view from myself and my mate and does not mean I have any issues about Wooldridge or Parris which are both excellent cue makers. Just going a bit high on costs for the average players I feel.

Comment

Try Mastercue, Ton Praram or Maximus. All good Thai makers, which offer good value for money. All three offer a decent handmade cue in your budget. Or original O'min (also Thai) if you can find one. Check out Green Baize Ltd website. You can contact Stu who is very helpful.

Comment

of the options you listed, I would go for craftsman.

Comment

Yes of course I understand that it is only personal opinion, but I'm happy that your personal experience proves my theory that price can mean not everything, and your opinion coincides with my that Mastercraft cue can at least not worse than JP (dont know how about JP ultimate cues, but especialy about lower quality JP cues). )) Do you or your friend ordered custom cue with standard design or asked a new one? If new, maybe you can tell me what was the price of custom made Mastercraft cue? Is it cost much more than prices of standard design cues?

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
            Try Mastercue, Ton Praram or Maximus. All good Thai makers, which offer good value for money. All three offer a decent handmade cue in your budget. Or original O'min (also Thai) if you can find one. Check out Green Baize Ltd website. You can contact Stu who is very helpful.

Thanks for answer man. Yes I saw in that store few nice looking cues, for example this (https://www.greenbaize.com/product/m...#8243;-18-3oz/ ). Can I ask you why you not consider Mastercraft, Craftsman or Woods cue? I heard that Tai brands make very good cues and competitive to JP, MW or stamford, but only if this cues are well priced (around 500-700 Euro), than they are still cheaper than higher mentioned cues, but have same or even higher quality. But do you think that Tai makers middle range cues are competitive to same price Mastercraft, Craftsman or Peradon cues? What do you think friend? ) maybe others have opinions or even personal experience about this question?

Comment

Thanks for answer friend ) can I ask you why? is it your personal experience? )

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                of the options you listed, I would go for craftsman.
                Thanks for answer friend ) can I ask you why? is it your personal experience? )

Comment

Originally Posted by audiandy View Post
                  All I can give is my personal view and one of a good friend.
                  I had a Wooldridge cue built to my specification a few years ago, it was a great cue but for some reason couldn't get used to it, didn't play like my old cue. I decided to have a cue made from Mastercraft, and I have to say it is great. again same specs but went slightly longer as I was in two minds to go for a bit bigger tip so this was the best answer. Plays well looks good and the lads at Mastercraft make sure that your fully in the loop and always have answered mails (although don't work Fridays so don't expect answers back with in a day). To me it handles better than my Wooldridge.
                  I then lent my Wooldridge cue to a mate I have known for a number of years when he had his prized Parris stolen from a local club near his work which he had a knock at lunchtimes (the b*****ds stole it when he nipped to loo, club manager said nothing showed up on any tapes??) anyway of subject........
                  He too was wanting to make his mind up what maker to use as he was looking for another Parris Ultimate but was not going to wait anywhere close to that time. He then looked at waiting time and cost of a Wooldridge to his specs time wasn't that bad but on the price was high, I then lent him my Mastercraft for a few weeks which he liked but specs out for him. He eventually made the plunge and ordered a cue to his specs from Mastercraft close to £1000 less that Wooldridge for exactly same specs. (I know there could be different quality of woods used)??
                  He has now the cue just over two months wait and his actual words where he feels like the extension to his arm is back. Playing well with it and very happy he took my advise. He doesn't see any noticeable difference between his old Parris and new Mastercraft as far as playability but a fraction of the cost.
                  Please note this is only a point of view from myself and my mate and does not mean I have any issues about Wooldridge or Parris which are both excellent cue makers. Just going a bit high on costs for the average players I feel.
                  Thanks for answer friend )Yes of course I understand that it is only personal opinion, but I'm happy that your personal experience proves my theory that price can mean not everything, and your opinion coincides with my that Mastercraft cue can be at least not worse than JP (dont know how about JP ultimate cues, but especially if we are talking about lower quality JP cues). )) Do you or your friend ordered custom cue with standard design or asked a new one? If new, maybe you can tell me what was the price of custom made Mastercraft cue? Is it cost much more than prices of standard design cues?

Comment

I've used craftsman cues before. They are Hella good cues

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                      I've used craftsman cues before. They are Hella good cues
                      Ok, I understand. I heard that they makes awesome cues. It's very interesting how they compare with Mastercraft cues...But Thanks for answer ). Do you know where I can see more of their cues Online? Coz in http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...sman-Cues.html there is only few. Do they make custom cues?

Comment

Hi again,
                        I had a custom cue with 4 x thuya burr upper splices over white / black veneers and 4 lower thuya burr splices over black / white veneers with my name in the badge as well as having two extensions made with same thuya burr splice one 6"" and the other 11" both with name in badge. I have to admit looks quiet the package in my case, just wish I could play as well as it look...LOL
                        As for my mate he has just large splice with two vaneers and lower slice also with his name in badge.
                        Mine was under £600 that was with the cue made to my specs (a touch longer as previously mentioned) two specifically made mini extensions plus a large extendable extension.
                        My mates was under £300 and I don't remember him getting and extensions ?

Comment

Originally Posted by audiandy View Post
                          Hi again,
                          I had a custom cue with 4 x thuya burr upper splices over white / black veneers and 4 lower thuya burr splices over black / white veneers with my name in the badge as well as having two extensions made with same thuya burr splice one 6"" and the other 11" both with name in badge. I have to admit looks quiet the package in my case, just wish I could play as well as it look...LOL
                          As for my mate he has just large splice with two vaneers and lower slice also with his name in badge.
                          Mine was under £600 that was with the cue made to my specs (a touch longer as previously mentioned) two specifically made mini extensions plus a large extendable extension.
                          My mates was under £300 and I don't remember him getting and extensions ?
                          Thanks man for a lot of information given to me. Now I really wanna try one of Mastercraft cues!

Comment

i would be interested to see some 147 craftsmen cues if any members have pictures? thinking of getting one.

Comment

Originally Posted by luckyskull View Post
                              i would be interested to see some 147 craftsmen cues if any members have pictures? thinking of getting one.
                              Craftsman 147's are just plain ebony cues.

My friend uses one. Nice cues, i think his cost around £220 but that was well over 5 years ago. I'm not sure they take custom orders anymore though?

Ive had a few mastercrafts as well myself. I highly recommend them. The best value UK cues in my opinion.
                              http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X