X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue Craft Sabre cue??

IMG_20181006_185829.jpg
    IMG_20181006_190118.jpg

My dad picked up this cue today and it has a quick lock joint but not like I've ever seen before.

The cue looks fairly old but was wondering if anybody has any idea about it? Can't find anything online about it.

Thanks

Yep seen that joint before and my guess is 80s.
    Will have a look when I get home to check.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Sure it's the 90's dot to dot joint, a good idea in theory, but in my experience the joint doesn't age well lots of wood has to be bored out to fit them which increases risk of swelling/shrinkage due to wood/metal which causes cracks and splits in the wood.

Not saying all are like this but i've seen quite a few over the years, so they need looking after well.

Comment

Cue Craft Sabre cue??

I recognise it as a friend had one but can't pin down when got it to late 80s or early 90s (getting old ya know!)
        as you say the wood around his joint split after a short time

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          I recognise it as a friend had one but can't pin down when got it to late 80s or early 90s (getting old ya know!)
          as you say the wood around his joint split after a short time
          That's about right mate, the same joint was used on some of the Riley Burwats and they were early 90's

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
            Sure it's the 90's dot to dot joint, a good idea in theory, but in my experience the joint doesn't age well lots of wood has to be bored out to fit them which increases risk of swelling/shrinkage due to wood/metal which causes cracks and splits in the wood.

Not saying all are like this but i've seen quite a few over the years, so they need looking after well.
            It should be OK into solid ash but in a split 3/4 where the end of the shaft is spliced with hardwood where the joint is fitted, making it a weak point, the male part of the joint should be fitted to the shaft as this requires a smaller hole to be drilled, 10mm usually. The female part requires a 13mm hole so should be fitted to the butt, which in such cues are usually solid hardwood.
            If such a joint is used for a 1/2 split two piece then ignore it as it will split at some point.
            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

my friend's was a 1/2, as 3/4 where not that common, if not non-existent, back then
              (when did 3/4 start to be made?)

Comment

Used these Cuecraft joints for years and never had trouble with them.

Comment

Had a few cues with those joints and a couple have went wrong, good reason why no one uses them anymore.

Comment

They were used in the 80's-90's and a few makers used them cue craft was one that used them.
                    If looked after, they are fine but some went wrong and makers stopped using them.
                    Still plenty of ¾ cues with them on.
                    For that one you've always wanted...
                    https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      my friend's was a 1/2, as 3/4 where not that common, if not non-existent, back then
                      (when did 3/4 start to be made?)
                      First one I ever saw was used by Alex Higgins in the '83 series of Pot Black, I think it's the one he gave to Jimmy White and Jimmy used it for years.
                      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                        First one I ever saw was used by Alex Higgins in the '83 series of Pot Black, I think it's the one he gave to Jimmy White and Jimmy used it for years.
                        Was that the old Classic Custom Cue with the thick plastic joint seen here?

https://youtu.be/0_fE-pvT084

Comment

Working...
                        X