Can't stop putting left hand side on cue ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't stop putting left hand side on cue ball

Can anyone help ...I keep putting left hand side on the cue ball and the more forcefull the shot the more side I put on ....
    I'm left eye dominant tried all kinds of different stances
    It's driving me mad

Are you sure on striking the cue ball your grip is not tightening taking the tip to the left?..
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

Comment

I have a soft grip ....and I use the drop elbow action like osulivan.....
      If I play along the spots slow it come back to my tip perfect ...if I play much harder I get lots of left hand side

Comment

It has to be with your set up, buddy. Place the your cue dead centre to the cue ball and then get in your stance position, see if anything feels uncomfortable. A lot of players do hit off centre though and it is a hard thing to fix via a forum.

Anyone else, Terry?......
        JP Majestic
        3/4
        57"
        17oz
        9.5mm Elk

Comment

I'm no coach but I am left eyed and left handed, but I don't put the cue on the left hand side of the chin, what this does mean though is that I'm kind on looking at the side of the cue rather than straight down it, so I think I'm hitting the white in the middle, but Im actually putting a bit of right hand side, but it looks like the middle from a sort of side on view, perhaps it's worth shifting the cue slightly on your chin so it's under your dominant eye. Maybe not Jamie Jones or Gary Wilson style where the cue is on you cheekbone but just slightly to the left or right, Like I said, I'm no coach just a bit of personal experience.

Comment

I think I'm striking across the cue ball ...I can pot blues off the spot from baulk at times 5 in a row then it all goes wrong and I'm putting left hand side on ..I hit the same place on the table every time when I miss

Comment

From my experience there are heaps of ways to cue across the ball, and I can do them all I suppose it being consistent means you're doing the same thing wrong every time, you just need to work out what it is, better than spanking it all over the shop I suppose.

Comment

I know I spent six hours today just potting long blues and also striking the ball hard up and down the spots ...I'm going to try an make a consiouce effort to strike straight through the cue ball and in my mind slightly to the right ...just keep trying stuff ....I like to thank everyone who has tried to help ...I take it all onboard
                Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally Posted by Booters View Post
                  I'm no coach but I am left eyed and left handed, but I don't put the cue on the left hand side of the chin, what this does mean though is that I'm kind on looking at the side of the cue rather than straight down it, so I think I'm hitting the white in the middle, but Im actually putting a bit of right hand side, but it looks like the middle from a sort of side on view, perhaps it's worth shifting the cue slightly on your chin so it's under your dominant eye. Maybe not Jamie Jones or Gary Wilson style where the cue is on you cheekbone but just slightly to the left or right, Like I said, I'm no coach just a bit of personal experience.
                  I already do that

Comment

I've been having a similar issue, I found that my grip hand was too close to my hip., so adjusting my stance has given me a couple of inches rather than cm.
                    Also I would check to see if your Bridge hand thumb is moving on strike .
                    Any lifting from the thumb will cause you to cue across the cue ball to the left .

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                      I've been having a similar issue, I found that my grip hand was too close to my hip., so adjusting my stance has given me a couple of inches rather than cm.
                      Also I would check to see if your Bridge hand thumb is moving on strike .
                      Any lifting from the thumb will cause you to cue across the cue ball to the left .
                      Yes I change my stance by turning to the right to create more room ..I'm right handed....I will pay attention to my bridge and thumb thanks

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                        It has to be with your set up, buddy. Place the your cue dead centre to the cue ball and then get in your stance position, see if anything feels uncomfortable. A lot of players do hit off centre though and it is a hard thing to fix via a forum.

Anyone else, Terry?......
                        He is likely doing the same thing I myself do on power shots and a lot of other players do too and that is (as you said) tightening his grip too early in the delivery. I have been trying to overcome this for about 10 years now and I just cannot do it unless I artificially open my grip and leave it open throughout the delivery but this causes a complete loss of accuracy. I tried it with Nic Barrow's training example of the fingertip grip too. It eliminated the problem but again loss of accuracy.

Best solution I've found is using the loop bridge (a good one) and this infers the problem has something to do with my bridge hand but no matter how hard I stabilize my open bridge hand I do not reduce the left-hand side on a power screw. Weirdly enough I've also found it doesn't happen with a power top spin (go figure).
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Right foot on the line of aim, tip of the cue to the centre of the cue ball, then position of the left foot dictates whether the butt of the cue is on the line of aim or not.
                          Left hand side tells me that your left foot needs to be a tad further forward, I had a similar issue with right hand side and moved my left foot back to correct it.
                          I now have a more square boxer stance than before, left foot in front of the right but now about six inches further back. Feels tight in my right leg now but the balls are going in and that tightness tells me I'm standing in the right place.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                            Right foot on the line of aim, tip of the cue to the centre of the cue ball, then position of the left foot dictates whether the butt of the cue is on the line of aim or not.
                            Left hand side tells me that your left foot needs to be a tad further forward, I had a similar issue with right hand side and moved my left foot back to correct it.
                            I now have a more square boxer stance than before, left foot in front of the right but now about six inches further back. Feels tight in my right leg now but the balls are going in and that tightness tells me I'm standing in the right place.
                            Yes I tried moving my foot forward and had some better results

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              He is likely doing the same thing I myself do on power shots and a lot of other players do too and that is (as you said) tightening his grip too early in the delivery. I have been trying to overcome this for about 10 years now and I just cannot do it unless I artificially open my grip and leave it open throughout the delivery but this causes a complete loss of accuracy. I tried it with Nic Barrow's training example of the fingertip grip too. It eliminated the problem but again loss of accuracy.

Best solution I've found is using the loop bridge (a good one) and this infers the problem has something to do with my bridge hand but no matter how hard I stabilize my open bridge hand I do not reduce the left-hand side on a power screw. Weirdly enough I've also found it doesn't happen with a power top spin (go figure).
                              When you say a loss of accuracy, do you mean the cueball goes in the wrong direction or just no accuracy on the amount of spin you put on the cueball?

Comment

Working...
                              X