Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good budget Cues // Introduction

Afternoon everyone.

First of all, a hello from me. I'm a beginner player, with limited experience on the baize (around 100 hours maybe?). I've recently re-discovered my live for the sport (both playing and watching) and am now fully into my next phase, having found a number of great tables near me and a couple of playing partners.

I'm currently using a 2 piece cue which I inherited from a friend. Prior to that I was using a standard £30 Riley cue which I'm now thinking may have been the better option. I'm fairly certain my tip has been on for around 10 years too long!

I am on the look out for a new cue; I would love a 3/4 split, hand spliced cue. There's a couple I've been looking at recently, and I've been drawn to the exotic woods on the butt, although I appreciate these come at a cost! My question is this... Can I purchase a decent cue as per the spec above, with a limit of £120? I'm reluctant to go above this simply because a) my skill level does not justify going above this price and b) general budget.

Any help/advice/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Dunns, woods, grand. Are all decent cues within your budget( eBay or own websites)
    H.b.142

Comment

@lennon11 many thanks. I had already come across Woods but not Dunns or Grands.

I've already spotted a beautiful Burl wood cue on Dunns that I have enquired about.

Comment

I got a one piece Emperor cue on ebay from China two years ago. Have to say I love it. I’m not a big time player but for around the 100 quid mark I reckon they’re pretty good. They also do 3/4 jointed.

They got some on there at the moment, hand spliced Ebony butt. Plus case and extensions.
        Last edited by andy-w; 22 January 2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Has anybody here used a Jian Ying cue? I am only a beginner in the world of snooker and I am looking at spending around $80-$120 on a 3/4 cue. That's about 45 - 70 pounds. Being from Australia, the choice of cues is very limited, so if I were to buy a Jian Ying cue it would be from China.

Comment

Originally Posted by Noelos237 View Post
            Has anybody here used a Jian Ying cue? I am only a beginner in the world of snooker and I am looking at spending around $80-$120 on a 3/4 cue. That's about 45 - 70 pounds. Being from Australia, the choice of cues is very limited, so if I were to buy a Jian Ying cue it would be from China.
            Yes, I'm currently using a Jian Ying 3/4 jointed cue. Had no problems in the 2 n a half months of playing with it. Only reccomendation is to change the tip that it comes with since the one on the cue when it's delivered is awful.
            ''It's just really drafty to be honest'' - Kyren Wilson

Comment

I actually happened to get mine in the mail a couple of days ago, I thought it was worth a try. I’m happy with the quality of the cue, but I do agree with you about the tip.

Comment

I've heard Tiger Cues are good for the money - link

Theyre in Warrington too. Never played with one, but someone had one down my club a few weeks ago and it looked well made and finished.
                #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Recently bought a cue set from grand-cues . Very cheap Price for a very decent cue . Paid 85 pounds including shipping cost and i have to Say that compared to Woods, jian ying the finish is superb . Very accurate and even splices really well balanced and à nice smooth shaft with great chevrons . This is a Real bargain . You won't find any Better for the price . And if the cue don't suit you're game at least you'll get a nice case and good extensions that Can fit many other cues .

http://grand-cues.com/index.php/24-s...er-cue-t5.html

Comment

Originally Posted by liquid_symphony View Post
                    Recently bought a cue set from grand-cues . Very cheap Price for a very decent cue . Paid 85 pounds including shipping cost and i have to Say that compared to Woods, jian ying the finish is superb . Very accurate and even splices really well balanced and à nice smooth shaft with great chevrons . This is a Real bargain . You won't find any Better for the price . And if the cue don't suit you're game at least you'll get a nice case and good extensions that Can fit many other cues .

http://grand-cues.com/index.php/24-s...er-cue-t5.html
                    I've just ordered a Maple shafted cue with the exact same splicing as that from Grand Cues this weekend. I've been using a JP Classic for the last 17 years, but used Maple for a similar amount of time before that. I really want to try another Maple cue, but prices seem ridiculous for cues these days, so I'm taking a punt on the Grand cue. I'm glad to hear you say the finish is good, and I'm looking forward to getting the new cue and trying it out. I'm a long term 8 ball payer with occasional outings on the big boys table. I also found this which may interest you.
                    https://www.tiger-leisure.com/online...=0&sort=normal
                    Looks very similar, but at about twice the price.

Comment

Get an adr147 cue, he will have a top cue for a great price. He is on here, so just email him
                      I went into a chemist and asked for a deodorant, the assistant said "ball, stick or aerosol", "No, I want it for under my arms!" was my reply.

Comment

Agree with the last post about adr147, bought a cue and case off of him a month or so ago, lovely cue and prices were very reasonable
                        Easy to deal with as well - with prompt messaging

Comment

Originally Posted by Taxi View Post
                          I've just ordered a Maple shafted cue with the exact same splicing as that from Grand Cues this weekend. I've been using a JP Classic for the last 17 years, but used Maple for a similar amount of time before that. I really want to try another Maple cue, but prices seem ridiculous for cues these days, so I'm taking a punt on the Grand cue. I'm glad to hear you say the finish is good, and I'm looking forward to getting the new cue and trying it out. I'm a long term 8 ball payer with occasional outings on the big boys table. I also found this which may interest you.
                          https://www.tiger-leisure.com/online...=0&sort=normal
                          Looks very similar, but at about twice the price.
                          Due to à lack of snooker tables close from where i live , i'm a long term 8 ball player too 😒 . Except if you expect to get the best cue ever , you won't be disapointed . Let me know about it . I changed the tip on it and played on an 8ball pool table . Plays solid and felt confortable with it . I should have a game of snooker next wednesday so can't wait to see how this cue will play with bigger balls lol . Once again mine is really well finished ( received the one pictured , no surprise ) . Hope you'll like it

Comment

Originally Posted by liquid_symphony View Post
                            Due to à lack of snooker tables close from where i live , i'm a long term 8 ball player too �� . Except if you expect to get the best cue ever , you won't be disapointed . Let me know about it . I changed the tip on it and played on an 8ball pool table . Plays solid and felt confortable with it . I should have a game of snooker next wednesday so can't wait to see how this cue will play with bigger balls lol . Once again mine is really well finished ( received the one pictured , no surprise ) . Hope you'll like it
                            The cue arrived Saturday morning, 8 days for delivery from china is pretty good going. The cue looks faultless, very pleasing on the eye. The splicing is as good as any I've seen, similar to the JP I've been using for the last 17 years. It's now got a blue diamond fitted and it's ready to rock and roll on Monday night. I'll take it down to a match and let everyone play with it a bit to knock the tip in. At this price, I can't see how it's possible to make this cue. In the UK you wouldn't be able to buy the wood, let alone build it. It's only fault, if you could see it as a fault, is that it's finished with a lacquer rather than oil. But if it plays well, I'll strip it back and oil it. Shouldn't take more than a few hours. The case that I bought with it for £12 is the exact same case I've seen locally for £50, and that £12 included the additional postage from China.

Comment

Just be very carefull when you are removing the lacquer finish dont go heavy as you will remove the black paint from the butt and you will find brown wood underneath..these cues are cheap for a reason.
                              Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Working...
                              X