Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unintentional side question

Hi
    I had this problem since last year, putting unintentional right hand side on cueball. i tried my best for few months and i thought i fixed it.

let me explain what problem i had a year ago : to me it was looking as if i was aiming center on cueball but to my coach it always looked that i put right hand side, so i fixed it since it was about about 3 mm.

today i asked my friend to stay behind me and tell me if i aim in the center of cueball.
    its strange what we figured out :
    when i go for straight shots, i aim center on cueball and it looks center to my friend aswell. now on angle shots i also aim center only if the cueball travels to the left, in other words if the pocket is towards my right eye or right side of my body. however if the pocket is to the left of my body or towards left eye i tent to put right hand side on the cueball. ( as soon as i do a front pause everyone can tell that i put about 1-2 mm right side on cueball )

i have no problem potting long or short range shots as long as the cueball travels to the left, in other words if the pocket is to the right side while aiming , but if the pocket is to the left side and the white is meant to travel to the right i tend to put right hand side.

just want to mention that i am a right handed player, right eye dominant, but i cue in center chin. so at the moment i am not gonna even think about dominant eye if it has something to do with this.

i hope someone can give me some suggestions. tnx

You can check where your tip is in relation to centre-ball while at the front pause. Just look at the bottom of the cueball where it meets the cloth and that has to be centre-ball and then bring your eyes straight up to whatever height you want to hit.

In you explanation it sounds like you actually line up off-centre and that's something I've never heard of as the majority of people can 'see' the centre of a circle.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

You could experiment with cueing up / feathering as Jimmy White does, with the tip pointing at the bottom of the cue ball - and, thus, the white's central point (as Terry Davidson eludes to above). This takes a little getting used to as the final delivery might not necessarily be at the bottom of the cue ball for a screw type shot - I seem to prefer this particular method for addressing the ball when playing a short range plain ball 'roll through' shot.
      Highest break - 145
      Playing cue - an old antique Burroughs & Watts 'London Soho Square' 1 piece maple - 58" / 16.5oz / with a 10mm tip

"Fantabulous!"...

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        You can check where your tip is in relation to centre-ball while at the front pause. Just look at the bottom of the cueball where it meets the cloth and that has to be centre-ball and then bring your eyes straight up to whatever height you want to hit.

In you explanation it sounds like you actually line up off-centre and that's something I've never heard of as the majority of people can 'see' the centre of a circle.
        yeah thats how i corrected it in the first place. when i first saw the coach i had this problem even on straight shots, and it was about half a tip right side, and after seeing him for few sessions i fixed it. until recently i realized that certain angles i am still putting side about 1-2 mm right hand side on cueball. although i pretty much can aim centre ball on straight shots, and if the cueball travels to the left side of my body, but if there is an angle where my white ball has to travel to the right side then i untentionally put side and if someone stands behind me then they can tell and its really hard for me to detect it.

i also figured something else, on those angles where the cueball has to travel to right side of my body, or in other words when the pocket is to the left side of my body/towards my left eye, then my cue alignment is different and maybe thats y i put abit of right hand side. by alignment i mean, i think the butt of the cue is abit more towards my body which forces the tip to move to the right of cueball. and this only happens when the object balls have to be put when the pocket is towards my left eye or left side of my body and the white is travelling to the right side of my body.

on straight shots i have checked, my alignment is perfect . and if the angle shots is to the right i aim centre on cueball but only and only if the object ball has to be put towards my left side of the body and the white travels towards right side, i untentionally put right side.

Comment

Originally Posted by 147Levitt View Post
          You could experiment with cueing up / feathering as Jimmy White does, with the tip pointing at the bottom of the cue ball - and, thus, the white's central point (as Terry Davidson eludes to above). This takes a little getting used to as the final delivery might not necessarily be at the bottom of the cue ball for a screw type shot - I seem to prefer this particular method for addressing the ball when playing a short range plain ball 'roll through' shot.
          i have done this alot and it has fixed my major problem, but now its different. i only put side on certain angle.
          i already mentioned above , but once again: i have no problem with straight shots, i can find centre very easy and even on angle shots when the pocket is towards my right side.
          however when the pocket is towards my left side of the body or towards my left eye which means on these shots the white always travels to the right side of my body and this is where i always put side ( by putting side i mean i cannot find centre , to me it looks centre on these angles but if someone stands behind me they can tell that i am putting right side on cueball

Comment

Take more care and time in your pre-shot routine to make certain you are at centre-ball for ALL pots, no matter what the angle.
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
            X