practice routines for a beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• practice routines for a beginner

I've been playing snooker on and off for a few years now. However, been practicing regularly and with dedication since a year. Almost atleast 2 to 3 hours every day of the week for a year. I can occasionally get to 25 break now which is becomes annoying after a while as I don't have anything to show for the 1000 hours i've put into the game.

My problem.
    1. I dont have any coach. I just practice line up. If I put 15 red balls in the line up with all color balls, I'll probably make 5 colors before I run out of position or miss a shot.
    2. I mis-judge the angles of the shot thats thinner than half ball.
    3. I've been practicing straight cueing for atleast 25 minutes at the beginning of my practice sessions.

I've been looking at so many youtube videos, practice routines, hours and hours of gameplay every day and i still can't finish a 5 red lineup or go beyond 20-25 break in a game. I believe that is because I've got issues in the potting. I understand stuns, screws, follow shots and stun-run-through properly but I end up losing position because i am more worried about actually making the pot.

At this point, I feel like I am just feeding my self too much snooker and have become tunnel-visioned to see whats actually going wrong. I get to the club at 8AM every morning when i am the only one there. I practice cueing and then get to line-up, miss the line-up which leads to annoyance and I leave the club in a couple of hours. I am sure I am cue-ing good because my blue to corner pockets are really good. Its the angles that I miss.

I guess I am looking for guidance on how to go about ironing out the issues and PRACTICE PROPERLY instead of just screwing the line-ups everyday. I am ready to assume that I've wasted this entire year and willing to start fresh. Where do I go from here?

I think you should get a coach. More because a coach can look at you in person and identify some of the issues he/she may feel you have with your game on technical aspects.

And even if it's one or a couple sessions, you can go away and practice on these changes and surely you will have some improvement.

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
      I think you should get a coach. More because a coach can look at you in person and identify some of the issues he/she may feel you have with your game on technical aspects.

And even if it's one or a couple sessions, you can go away and practice on these changes and surely you will have some improvement.
      unfortunately there are no coaches around in Mumbai. There's one bloke that I had a couple of sessions with but seemed to be a moot point.

Comment

Originally Posted by nishant View Post
        unfortunately there are no coaches around in Mumbai. There's one bloke that I had a couple of sessions with but seemed to be a moot point.
        A couple things to start with, try the line up but without the colours. Just pot all 15 reds in any order.

Another easy starter routine is this one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d7SssqOdFY

If you can pot all the reds, add the black below it and alternate between reds and blacks.

As for the line up. I find most players end up on the rail after a few shots because they are hitting the cue ball too low when high on the black. Instead of playing with stun, they screw the ball and get too close to the cushion.

Comment

10 reds between blue and black spot. Soft screws, stuns and little run throughs.

Black on spot and 3 reds spaced out on either side is also good. Try and pot 6 reds and six blacks. Helps coming off top cushion etc.

Comment

Working...
          X