Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Detroit Michigan USA

Hello,

I am new to the forum, but not new to snooker at all. Have been playing nearly all my life, well starting at age 14 or so. Have cracked a century break in the past... That isn't happening now after a 20 year hiatus.

Currently I am rehabbing a 1946 era Sydney Laner & Co 10 ft snooker table. Yes I realize this is not regulation size, but it's all I have room for.

Would be interested to see if any other snooker enthusiasts exist in my area. Snooker has seriously dropped in popularity in North America, to the point where it is damn near impossible to find a club with a table. A shame really, as I consider snooker the true billiards game.

K.. that's my intro for now,
    Eldon.

Welcome to TSF Eldon
    There are other members from your side of the pond.
    have you looked at http://www.findsnooker.com/ to see if anything is near you?

It is nice to have your own table - even a 10footer

Do you have any pictures of the table that you can share, not seen a Laner table
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Eldon:

There is an elderly gentleman named Tom Kollins who lives in Detroit and has his own (12ft) table. He was also the US Snooker Champion for many years and still plays a little even though he is in his 80's. He isn't a member here however if you have a Facebook account you can reach him there. He and his son have recently played in our tournaments here in Southern Ontario and will likely play again in our open tournaments this season.

In addition Tom is plugged into the snooker scene in the USA.
      Last edited by Terry Davidson; 2 December 2018, 01:23 PM.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hey Eldon, I'm in NE Ohio (NE of Cleveland). Restoring a 1919 10' Brunswick Snooker table. If you find anyone near either of us please send info. I will do the same. Not finding many snooker tables in my area either. Good luck! And, if you're in the area, look me up.

Comment

Originally Posted by chad0131 View Post
          Hey Eldon, I'm in NE Ohio (NE of Cleveland). Restoring a 1919 10' Brunswick Snooker table. If you find anyone near either of us please send info. I will do the same. Not finding many snooker tables in my area either. Good luck! And, if you're in the area, look me up.
          Guys- if possible, there are around 44k members + viewers on this site who would "love" to see a few pictures of these set ups when you get time.

In turn,you will get pretty much, any advice you need, love and assistance.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            Eldon:

There is an elderly gentleman named Tom Collins who lives in Detroit and has his own (12ft) table. He was also the US Snooker Champion for many years and still plays a little even though he is in his 80's. He isn't a member here however if you have a Facebook account you can reach him there. He and his son have recently played in our tournaments here in Southern Ontario and will likely play again in our open tournaments this season.

In addition Tom is plugged into the snooker scene in the USA.
            I think I found him....Is it Tom Kollins?

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
              Guys- if possible, there are around 44k members + viewers on this site who would "love" to see a few pictures of these set ups when you get time.

In turn,you will get pretty much, any advice you need, love and assistance.
              I will be more than proud to share a picture once it is finished (I have been bullied into a blue cloth by the family though, so no disparaging remarks) LOL!

On another note, because of this forum, I was able to hook up with ADR147 and he has supplied me with an absolute stunning beginner cue for a very reasonable price! As well as answering many of my dumber questions. A big shout out and thanks to him from me and if anyone needs a cue, please contact him. Great to deal with!

Comment

Oh, and a very nice hard sided CueCrafty case!

Comment

Yes, it is
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by ehiebert View Post
                    Hello,

I am new to the forum, but not new to snooker at all. Have been playing nearly all my life, well starting at age 14 or so. Have cracked a century break in the past... That isn't happening now after a 20 year hiatus.

Currently I am rehabbing a 1946 era Sydney Laner & Co 10 ft snooker table. Yes I realize this is not regulation size, but it's all I have room for.

Would be interested to see if any other snooker enthusiasts exist in my area. Snooker has seriously dropped in popularity in North America, to the point where it is damn near impossible to find a club with a table. A shame really, as I consider snooker the true billiards game.

K.. that's my intro for now,
                    Eldon.
                    You may find it better, breaking off with a full pack of 15 reds, then taking 2/3 off the table. Otherwise can be slightly crowded. I play regularly on a steel block 10 footer, and find this conducive to a more open frame.
                    Highest break to date? 1

Comment

My bad, yes it is Kollins
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                      X