Sorry guys another dominate eye post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry guys another dominate eye post

im a club player ive had a few 70. 80 90 breaks over the last 3yrs but im not very consistent. ive changed my set up many times over the last few years,
    e.g boxer stance, square stance ,center chin ,dominate eye, walk in to the line of shot ,no walk in, right foot on the line of aim even both feet pointing in the direction of the shot,(which hurt my knees no end)
    you get the idea
    i have had some good form and some very bad more bad than good,
    so i had a few lessons with a coach and heres what he said
    the line of the shot...
    if it looks straight to you no matter if its right eye left eye or centre, its straight!!!!
    feet together while look at the line of the shot dont move my right leg,( the foot doesnt matter wheres its pointing as long as your heel doesnt move}
    left foot forward(if your right handed} HE HAD ME PRACTICE MY STANCE SO I COULD CUE WITH NO TABLE IN FRONT OF ME WITHOUT FALLING OVER
    that was my stance! perfect for me
    keep my head on the line all the way down
    AND WHERE THE CUE MAKES CONTACT WIH MY HEAD IS PERFECT FOR MY EYE DOMINANCE
    well all i can say is my form over the last fee weeks has improve ten fold,
    honestly im so much more consistent i use to be a regular 30 40 50 break player but now i feel like my standard has pushed on
    so what im saying that if the line of the shot looks straight it is!!!!!! forget everything else
    hope this post helps fellow club players like myself!!!

Quote:
    'the line of the shot...
    if it looks straight to you no matter if its right eye left eye or centre, its straight!!!'

And there it is!!!!! +1 to this☝

Comment

Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
      HE HAD ME PRACTICE MY STANCE SO I COULD CUE WITH NO TABLE IN FRONT OF ME WITHOUT FALLING OVER
      that was my stance! perfect for me
      keep my head on the line all the way down
      AND WHERE THE CUE MAKES CONTACT WIH MY HEAD IS PERFECT FOR MY EYE DOMINANCE
      Wow !!!! - now that makes perfect sense to me - Almost like you, I struggle with inconsistency - can knock in a 30/40 or maybe 50 from time to time, with proper cue ball control. Next time I play it is as if I've never played the game b4 !!!!

Just bought the CAT trainer from Nic Barrow

I'm gonna try this stance, no table advice - THANK YOU greatwhite !!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by tmax View Post

WHAT !!! Now he's going to have to make another one

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
          WHAT !!! Now he's going to have to make another one
          He's sold out if Facebook is to be believed.
          I struggle with sighting the shot when I'm tired, eye dominance seems to switch back and forth. Going to give the advice of just go with where the cue hits your chin a go. At the moment I force myself to play under my normal dominant eye and shut the other one when feathering, but until typing this hadn't really thought about the fact that the damage has already been done when walking into the shot
          No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

It's an interesting device for sure !!!!

I'm taking it to my club this afternoon to really see if it helps

Cost is expensive, but hell I play twice a week and practice at least once a week

Using it on my desk table, it is strange - really looking to see if with the strong magnets it can pot straight blues into corner - if so then maybe interesting to see if it is my judgement of angled pots which are off or my cueing - Probably both

Comment

You seem ok to me nic

Comment

It's an interesting device for sure !!!!

I'm taking it to my club this afternoon to really see if it helps

Cost is expensive, but hell I play twice a week and practice at least once a week

Using it on my desk table, it is strange - really looking to see if with the strong magnets it can pot straight blues into corner - if so then maybe interesting to see if it is my judgement of angled pots which are off or my cueing - Probably both
                No matter what you do, unless the CAT has a laser pointer on it you will still be using your eyeball to decide how to aim/sight the device. It is useful for training muscle memory to get straight cueing but for 400quid it's a very expensive way to do that when other (smaller)devices can do the same thing although not quite as positively.

According to FB Nic is doing a second production run.

You all know my opinion of the dominant or preferred eye so I won't get into that, just to say I agree with the poster and his coach on this one, just go with whatever you decide is natural. Do not change the set-up to accommodate your preferred eye.
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  No matter what you do, unless the CAT has a laser pointer on it you will still be using your eyeball to decide how to aim/sight the device. It is useful for training muscle memory to get straight cueing but for 400quid it's a very expensive way to do that when other (smaller)devices can do the same thing although not quite as positively.
                  Apologies to hi-jack this thread - please forgive

Terry

I think it was £314 !! - Nicely made as you say - yes I'm sure a wood jig would do the same thing

Sighting by eye is exactly my point !!!!! - the CAT may help to just give me a straight/er cueing

My thoughts were to setup a corner pot - green into own pocket for example - white just left of the blue (thick half ball pot)

Position the CAT with heavy magnet (which hold cue securely) while down on the shot

Stand back and look down the line to see if it still looks right - if it does then play the shot through the CAT

I've always believed I basically see the shot from standing up correctly - just don't drop the cue on line when getting down, or of course I cue across it when striking

The CAT I'm hoping to take one variable out

Comment

Wow !!!! - now that makes perfect sense to me - Almost like you, I struggle with inconsistency - can knock in a 30/40 or maybe 50 from time to time, with proper cue ball control. Next time I play it is as if I've never played the game b4 !!!!

I'm gonna try this stance, no table advice - THANK YOU greatwhite !!!!
                    I have a really straight cue for sale which would be the perfect compliment to your new device, £289.99 is a steal, you'll never miss again........honest
                    It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                      I have a really straight cue for sale which would be the perfect compliment to your new device, £289.99 is a steal, you'll never miss again........honest
                      £289.99 !!!!! - wanna swap for a CAT !!!!!

Used it this afternoon ......mmmmmmm

Couldn't do what I wanted

may just end up as a £300 paperweight !!!!!!

Not giving up just yet - I'm still waiting for the 50 page pdf from Nic

Comment

Any chance of a review, there is a thread already started on it?
                        No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

I am left eye dominant and if I place my left eye over the cue, close my right eye, adjust until my eye is in line with the cue, open my right eye and shoot and most of the time I sink the ball.
                          When I miss it is because I wasn't aiming in the right place.
                          When I am practicing placing small spots on the table so I can repeat the same shot has helped me.
                          Dominant eye sighting works for me.

Comment

Apologies to hi-jack this thread - please forgive

Terry

I think it was £314 !! - Nicely made as you say - yes I'm sure a wood jig would do the same thing

Sighting by eye is exactly my point !!!!! - the CAT may help to just give me a straight/er cueing

My thoughts were to setup a corner pot - green into own pocket for example - white just left of the blue (thick half ball pot)

Position the CAT with heavy magnet (which hold cue securely) while down on the shot

Stand back and look down the line to see if it still looks right - if it does then play the shot through the CAT

I've always believed I basically see the shot from standing up correctly - just don't drop the cue on line when getting down, or of course I cue across it when striking

The CAT I'm hoping to take one variable out
                            The price when I looked it up was 394 + 45 shipping and I would pay another 20% duty and taxes so altogether around 520quid. For me that is over $1,000 and that's much too expensive for me to handle with the amount of coaching business I get.

Also, although starting out with a green to its own pocket is great as you always start with the easy shot to confirm everything. Once you have that (which should be pretty quick as its an open pocket and just over 2ft pot) move onto something that gives you a bit more of a challenge to confirm the CAT and your eyes are working correctly. Try a 1/2-ball black off the spot to a top pocket and a 3/4-pink to the middle.

That will be a better test to see if you are aligning the CAT correctly.
                            Terry Davidson

Comment

Should be 395 + 45 + 20% but it wouldn't let me edit my post
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                              X