Balls! Whose do you play with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balls! Whose do you play with?

Thought I might treat myself to some new shiny balls and wondering what the balls of choice are. Popular choices seem to be the 1G, 3G & SC Aramith brand. Noticed only the 1G's seem to come with a case which kind of eases the pain cost wise some what.

The 1G cases aren’t that great , handle gets quite loose after a while . But easy enough to tighten up . And the case is fairly thin and looks a bit battered after a while . Wouldn’t mind buying a replacement case , assume they won’t sell them separately though .
    Got a leather Pearson case for a set of 3G’s , great quality .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Agree with Neil here. Think the 3gs are plenty good enough

Comment

as above, TC 3g set is perfectly fine for mere mortals (and some pros I doubt could tell the difference :wink and you still save money if you get a hard case on the cost of a TC 1g set, as have seen several negative comments about he TC 1g case.
        Even the cardboard box can survive if you look after it - a player down the club uses his own set and still in its box for some years.
        I have a TC 3g set which came with a Peradon hard case which chunky and solid, but a bit heavy so it only travels from the house to car/car to club
        At the club we do have some of the older SuperCrystalates and they play differently with a solid clunky contact and don't seem to roll as much as the TCs.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          At the club we do have some of the older SuperCrystalates and they play differently with a solid clunky contact and don't seem to roll as much as the TCs.
          I beg to differ DeanH, the original SC's give a sharper more defined click on contact, only kick when dirty and will roll as far as you hit them. If the OP can find a well looked after set of original SC's then these would give him a far better game than the softer clunky kickers that are the modern phenolic resins that only work with super fine cloths and pro conditions.
          Remember that Aramith bought the SC company and stopped production of SC's with the sole purpose of creating a monopoly to sell their inferior phenolic resin balls, the SC's are better but a good set is a rarity and getting rarer so get one while you can.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I did not say they were "the original" Super Crystalates (CBB) but old Aramith SCs :wink:

but they definitely give a "duller" game - and to get roll you have to hit harder than the TCs

note about the take over of CBB by Aramith - all agree with

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
              The 1G cases aren’t that great , handle gets quite loose after a while . But easy enough to tighten up . And the case is fairly thin and looks a bit battered after a while . Wouldn’t mind buying a replacement case , assume they won’t sell them separately though .
              Got a leather Pearson case for a set of 3G’s , great quality .
              Hmmm I've heard the cases aren't that great and no doesn't look like they sell replacement cases.

Not heard of Pearson cases but being leather I would probably mess it up sooner rather then later.

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                Agree with Neil here. Think the 3gs are plenty good enough
                Would I be right in thinking Aramith TC 3gs. Seems they do non TC balls as well.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dredd46 View Post
                  Would I be right in thinking Aramith TC 3gs. Seems they do non TC balls as well.
                  be careful, the Premier set (the cheaper set) is usually a lot lighter than the TCs and the American range I am not sure of their weight.

Comment

as above, TC 3g set is perfectly fine for mere mortals (and some pros I doubt could tell the difference :wink and you still save money if you get a hard case on the cost of a TC 1g set, as have seen several negative comments about he TC 1g case.
                    Even the cardboard box can survive if you look after it - a player down the club uses his own set and still in its box for some years.
                    I have a TC 3g set which came with a Peradon hard case which chunky and solid, but a bit heavy so it only travels from the house to car/car to club
                    Looking around the 1gs are £195 depending on seller. 3gs bit cheaper but then factor in a case and there doesn't seem much in it. Even second hand sets people seem to have unrealistic prices ie £150 - £180. 3gs seem to be going for roughly £40-50 second hand. SC's pre dating Aramith vary in price and condition.

Mere mortal Mine will only travel from house to car then club. Cardboard wouldn't last long in my hands. SC's of old seem to have good feedback. Anyone know what box they come in for reference?

Comment

there are other cases available than the Peradon which I see at around the £70-80; maybe try out the cardboard box on its own until you get the funds for the Peradon, or go for another at £40-50 (of course no feedback/reviews on these) or as some have done, make your own case

Comment

be careful, the Premier set (the cheaper set) is usually a lot lighter than the TCs and the American range I am not sure of their weight.
                        Already crossed the premier set off me list.

The only things these hands are good at is making a mess generally :biggrin-new:

Comment

These are all right.
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Good-Blac....c100005.m1851

Comment

Think I got mine from Amazon IIRC.
                            https://www.amazon.co.uk/FREE-DELIVE...oker+ball+case

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                              I have this one on my watch list. Favourite colours are black & silver so this could be a winner

Comment

Working...
                              X