Tip wear question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip wear question

I've noticed over the past year or so that my tips - bog standard Elks and occasionally an ADR SS - becomes a little more worn / mis-shaped / flatter towards the top of the tip, meaning the part of the tip at the top as I'm holding the cue in a playing position.

Is this normal? I guess it could imply I hit consistently below centre on the white to cause this uneven wear? Just guessing really. Any thoughts?

Thinking of changing it but I have an individuals comp fixture at the weekend so bothered about it being to close to a game.... is it worth a risk?
    #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Always happens to my tips too, just from playing more stun/screw shots than top. Most people will use less power on topspin or follow shots as well.

Comment

Happens to me whilst bedding in a new tip, generally the hardest(in relation to power) shots i will hit are deep screw shots at distance, so makes sense

Comment

Normal. You also generally hold the cue in the same.place for every shot so it's normal the tip with wear more in some parts compared to others

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
          I've noticed over the past year or so that my tips - bog standard Elks and occasionally an ADR SS - becomes a little more worn / mis-shaped / flatter towards the top of the tip, meaning the part of the tip at the top as I'm holding the cue in a playing position.

Is this normal? I guess it could imply I hit consistently below centre on the white to cause this uneven wear? Just guessing really. Any thoughts?

Thinking of changing it but I have an individuals comp fixture at the weekend so bothered about it being to close to a game.... is it worth a risk?
          If you hold the cue in the same place and the tip is continually compressed by the cue ball in the same place then it has to lose it shape in that part of the tip.

Now I'm using pressed tips again I use a tip picker to try and keep it even at every session (and to lose the compacted chalk).

It does really question the benefits of having a round butt to the end so the tip has even wear.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post

It does really question the benefits of having a round butt to the end so the tip has even wear.
            Yes but that only works on a maple cue ?
            If you use ash you will still want the grain the same way as you are used to

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              Yes but that only works on a maple cue ?
              If you use ash you will still want the grain the same way as you are used to
              I think even with maple the round butt has no benefit. Sounds silly but even if I try to rotate my eye to a different part of the maple shaft, makes no difference. I always sight down the same part of the shaft

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                I think even with maple the round butt has no benefit. Sounds silly but even if I try to rotate my eye to a different part of the maple shaft, makes no difference. I always sight down the same part of the shaft
                Strange how we're all different.

In the past I thought I looked in line with the grain but I don't now and not sure I really did then, I also don't sight with the arrows as I only really see the ferrule and tip so it would probably be ok for me.

I am a creature of habit though so although it makes a little sense to use a round but cue, it won't feel natural!
                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

hmmmm

My Ash gives a different feel when I twist it round. I'll try and twist with eyes shut and see (ho ho) if I guess or know where it is.

Twisting the cue, or not knowing could introduce a random tip element?

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                    hmmmm

My Ash gives a different feel when I twist it round. I'll try and twist with eyes shut and see (ho ho) if I guess or know where it is.

Twisting the cue, or not knowing could introduce a random tip element?
                    ER I wouldn't do that haha. You can try but what you are experiencing is completely normal so I wouldn't bother.

Comment

Exactly why I don't understand round butts....

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                        Exactly why I don't understand round butts....
                        Cause no one wants a flat ass

Comment

Far too easy a pun, lol.

Seriously though the different feel etc wouldn't be good.

(The closed eye thing above was purely to see if I could tell which way up cue was.)

Comment

everyone is different. for me its not even about the grain. if i remember correctly, when i use to be an ash player, the chevrons would be slightly rotated to the left as i am down because of the way i hold my cue at the flat.

i do a similar thing on maple too. so if someone made me an upside down chevron cue, thats what would show haha.

Comment

I have use done butt cues for year's as I've never liked the Greek of a cue with it on.
                              So first cue I had made for me, was with a round butt and the same with any cue I've made myself.
                              For that one you've always wanted...
                              https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Working...
                              X