Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you make sure you get a good night's sleep before a tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you make sure you get a good night's sleep before a tournament?

I often find myself unable to sleep properly the night before I am scheduled to play in a tournament. I usually get excited and my mind starts to wander, thinking about positions and shot selections. Before I know it, it's 2 AM, which makes me even more stressed and in the end I get no sleep at all.

How do you cope with pre-tournament sleeping? Are there any special tips for such situations?

Originally Posted by sn000ker View Post
    I often find myself unable to sleep properly the night before I am scheduled to play in a tournament. I usually get excited and my mind starts to wander, thinking about positions and shot selections. Before I know it, it's 2 AM, which makes me even more stressed and in the end I get no sleep at all.

How do you cope with pre-tournament sleeping? Are there any special tips for such situations?
    Been there. Done that.
    What worked for me was playing more tournaments and developing a strong technique. The strong technique helped in reducing a bit of the match anxiety and by playing more matches I was able to train(fool?) the mind that the next day was just like another routine day.

Comment

The best natural sedative is sex.

https://www.rodalewellness.com/healt...cts-your-sleep

-
      The fast and the furious,
      The slow and labourious,
      All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

You could watch the Dott/Ebdon world final

Comment

I doubt very much your playing in the world championship and your not 5 years old and it’s christmas eve get a grip. How can you worry about position and shot selection when you haven’t even played the game makes no sense.

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
            I doubt very much your playing in the world championship and your not 5 years old and it’s christmas eve get a grip. How can you worry about position and shot selection when you haven’t even played the game makes no sense.
            Dr Steve Peters... Is that you?
            WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
            Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
            --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

You could sit up all night thinking up shots and scenarios than might not even come up in the match and thinking about them and actually playing them is a different thing entirely. Like I said get a grip give yourself a slap and get bed.

Comment

This comment is not helpful nor insightful. It does not address my problem.

Comment

I am of course referring to ste bed'd comment. Unfortunately it looks like I cannot edit my own posts (not enough points).

Comment

Originally Posted by sn000ker View Post
                    I am of course referring to ste bed'd comment. Unfortunately it looks like I cannot edit my own posts (not enough points).
                    one more post and then a wait and you will gain further functions like editing and Private Messaging
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

how many tournaments do you play in?

Comment

By the sound of it not so many or he would have grown a pair and got over it man up and stop winging. If you can’t take a bit of banter don’t post stupid ass threads what do you want a member to come round with a teddy bear. It’s just a game get a grip what’s the point of worrying about something before it’s even happened.

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                          By the sound of it not so many or he would have grown a pair and got over it man up and stop winging. If you can’t take a bit of banter don’t post stupid ass threads what do you want a member to come round with a teddy bear. It’s just a game get a grip what’s the point of worrying about something before it’s even happened.
                          ^^ the voice of reason
                          #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Everyone has a different personality and we all perceive and react to stress in different ways. Ste Bed is correct (though a bit harsh!) - you need to relax, realise it's a game and once you are able to reduce the emphasis on winning, you'll begin to enjoy the competitions instead of making them out to be life changing events in your head and adding to the stress.

It's normal to be anxious but you need to find ways to distract yourself. Look at Ronnie; mentally one of the weakest players suffering with anxiety and depression but he's turned it around by running and other pursuits that ultimately reduce the pressure on himself to perform. Physical exercise is good - it will tire you so you sleep better and the adrenaline rush will make you mentally sharper and give you more confidence. Obviously don't over do it so you're wiped out the next day for your match!

Comment

Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
                              Everyone has a different personality and we all perceive and react to stress in different ways. Ste Bed is correct (though a bit harsh!) - you need to relax, realise it's a game and once you are able to reduce the emphasis on winning, you'll begin to enjoy the competitions instead of making them out to be life changing events in your head and adding to the stress.

It's normal to be anxious but you need to find ways to distract yourself. Look at Ronnie; mentally one of the weakest players suffering with anxiety and depression but he's turned it around by running and other pursuits that ultimately reduce the pressure on himself to perform. Physical exercise is good - it will tire you so you sleep better and the adrenaline rush will make you mentally sharper and give you more confidence. Obviously don't over do it so you're wiped out the next day for your match!
                              you forgot - ...and he paid and pays a huge amount to a "sports psychologist"...
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X