Where are the juniors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the juniors?

CAN it really be true that the counties of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Berkshire, Surrey, Essex, Sussex and Kent cannot muster one entry between them for this year’s English Under-14 Championship and English Under-16 Championship?

And what is happening in the Midlands? Two entries for the Under-14s!

We have done so much good work in the south over the past few years to close the gap to the north. What is it that is stopping players from entering? Are their coaches or parents holding them back? Are they just not aware of these events? It baffles me.

This season’s Under-14 southern qualifiers will be hosted by Frames Sports Bar, Coulsdon, on Saturday, November 10. The Under-16s is at the same club the following day.

Both events will use a round-robin format, best-of-three in the Under-14s and best-of-five in the Under-16s.

Under-14 entry fee is £15 for EASB members £25 for non-members. Closing date is November 3.

Under-16 entry fee is £20 for EASB members £30 for non-members. Closing date is November 4.

Enter online at www.easb.co.uk. Any problems, email: admin@easb.co.uk (he or she is very helpful).

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Blimey , that is very poor Tim .

A few young lads from Frames would be interested in going in for that i'm sure .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

We have done so much good work in the south over the past few years to close the gap to the north. What is it that is stopping players from entering? Are their coaches or parents holding them back? Are they just not aware of these events? It baffles me.
      Coaching is virtually non existent.

It's not like the EASB reaches out to local clubs to promote events. Unless you actively look for the events (and even then it's tricky) you would have no knowledge at all.

**** poor marketing.

This season’s Under-14 southern qualifiers will be hosted by Frames Sports Bar, Coulsdon, on Saturday, November 10. The Under-16s is at the same club the following day.
      Where are the Midlands qualifiers?

Just clicked the link too... Website is ugly.

Comment

Midlands qualifiers are at the North East Derbyshire Snooker Centre, Chesterfield, S45 9AG.

Under-14s on the Saturday and Under-16s on the Sunday.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerdad View Post
          CAN it really be true that the counties of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Berkshire, Surrey, Essex, Sussex and Kent cannot muster one entry between them for this year’s English Under-14 Championship and English Under-16 Championship?

And what is happening in the Midlands? Two entries for the Under-14s!

Both events will use a round-robin format, best-of-three in the Under-14s and best-of-five in the Under-16s.

Under-14 entry fee is £15 for EASB members £25 for non-members. Closing date is November 3.

Under-16 entry fee is £20 for EASB members £30 for non-members. Closing date is November 4.

Enter online at www.easb.co.uk. Any problems, email: admin@easb.co.uk (he or she is very helpful).

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
          Wow that's poor Tim.

I've often wondered how the network of coaches and clubs are joined to promote and grow the game.

I see the level 2 coaching badge and the initiative to introduce snooker to schools but I wonder if each person goes off to do their own thing after coaching or if the thinking is joined up so everyone is going the same way.

Do the coaches and clubs from each area have a framework which enables feedback on their progress or success's?

If the whole thing is disjointed then I guess that success or failure in each area rests on the knowledge, financial commitment and drive of each individual coach or club.

If this is the case then obviously this is why there are wild swings in players at the right standard and also any players come to that that even know about the comps?

The Cuestars and local snooker youngsters conveyor belt of successful players plain to see for anyone taking time to look; the commitment from yourself and John Hunter (and others including local club owners) is immense with so many evenings and weekends given up to progress the game; what I don't understand is you have a great format, why don't others come down and see what's happening. Even the Cuestars website has so much information and news on there, what's not to like.

For me, having spent many years structuring business's, the areas must all work independently which is a shame for sharing knowledge and getting the success of the game swiftly back to where it could be, what you do in the South could certainly short cut this and any coach struggling to promote the game should take a look.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Does Brian Cox participate in putting people forward for this Tim? Would be surprising (And sad) if he didnt have anyone to put forward.
            Last edited by Cue crafty; 1 November 2018, 07:45 AM.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily know who the coaches are behind the players.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerdad View Post
                I wouldn't necessarily know who the coaches are behind the players.
                Right ok, fair enough. Obviously you do a lot, but it doesn't seem "joined up" does it? Sounds like lots of siloed activity going on that needs someone to join the dots.

As I say not your fault but at least I understand Pottr's response better now.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                  Does Brian Cox participate in putting people forward for this Tim? Would be surprising (And sad) if he didnt have anyone to put forward.

link removed

Word of warning.....don’t click on the link .....has a virus on it .
                  Last edited by DeanH; 1 November 2018, 08:34 AM.
                  Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Thanks Neil. I have removed the link from my original post.
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I know this guy and he has lovely ability. Life sometimes gets in the way for many to even attempt their dreams but he has finally (at 29) got to a place in life where he wants to share a few experiences with younger lads to help them maybe get interested and hopefully have his crack at Q school. It's grass roots ethos intended, so not for most of us old farts but if you care about this, share it in your community's. 🙏

There's more content on his channel and hopefully it will keep coming if supported well.
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                      X